SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie tearing it up in STL

jbvollmer

I really missed TJ this season,it would've been awesome seeing him hoist the MacNaughton Cup with the rest of the team,who knows we might've been able to go all the way if we still would've had him.But it's great to see him making an impact in his rookie year,in what's bound to be a very successful NHL career.

I really missed TJ this season,it would've been awesome seeing him hoist the MacNaughton Cup with the rest of the team,who knows we might've been able to go all the way if we still would've had him.But it's great to see him making an impact in his rookie year,in what's bound to be a very successful NHL career.

I think all of us did. T.J. Oshie is one of my favorite all time players and god darn it I have been watching more Blues games lately because of him and Backes.

Right now the Sharks and Deadthings are saying God I hope I don't have to play the Blues.

I think all of us did. T.J. Oshie is one of my favorite all time players and god darn it I have been watching more Blues games lately because of him and Backes.

Right now the Sharks and Deadthings are saying God I hope I don't have to play the Blues.

I don't think anyone is sweating playing the blues. They are on there way up, but still have a long way to go if they want to compete with the wings and sharks.

Oshie's really making an impact here and quickly becoming a fan favorite with highlight-reel goals and huge hits (like the one on Rick Nash) as noted on Goon's blog.

I think all of us saw it coming. He was a great player here and is now finding his groove in the NHL. That goal was amazing, what patience. The Sioux class of '09 whether they are here now or not was something really special.

I don't think anyone is sweating playing the blues. They are on there way up, but still have a long way to go if they want to compete with the wings and sharks.

Really! With Detroit's goaltending? They will be lucky to make it two rounds. San Jose is not unbeatable either.

I am sure he finds the game a lot more fun and easier without a Pioneer or Maverick riding on his back for 60 minutes.

I like to generalize and just call them "cadavers in opposition jerseys" because they're just dead weight.

• 4 weeks later...
Their goaltending was iffy last year to and i am sure i don't have to tell you the result.

Actually, Osgood led the division in a number of goaltending categories last year.

This year, he's led the NHL in a number of goaltending categories...mainly in the area of futility. :D

I wonder if Osgood isn't the Latroy Hawkins of the NHL. Remember when he was with the Twins? He was pretty darn good. Then the Twins let him go to the Cubs and what happened? He's sucked ever since.

I think Osgood's time of effectiveness is at an end.

And, folks, the NHL knows the Wings' achilles heel now. After Osgood, you have Conklin, who I think is one of the BEST backups in the NHL. I think Halak may be the best....Boucher (SJ) might also be close behind. However, Conklin isn't a #1. Jimmy Howard might someday be a #1, but right now.... not yet he isn't.

The Wings are a wasteland in short term goaltending depth. McCollum is scary. Almost like a reverse-Frazee. He dominates in his own league (MJ) and sucks it hardcore in international competition (Frazee was basically the opposite....though I don't think Frazee was that bad in his own league in juniors either). What a waste of a draft pick.

Maybe the Wings wizard scouts in Sweden can pull a Minnesota Wild and find a Backstrom somewhere in Scandanavia.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit select another goaltender in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft as well. Maybe Campbell if he's draft eligible or Mike Lee if he's still on the board. Or McCollum might scare them away from drafting an American goaltender.... who knows with them.

And I agree with Goon. I don't know how they'll fare in the second round with Osgood's latest "performance."

Really! With Detroit's goaltending? They will be lucky to make it two rounds. San Jose is not unbeatable either.

San Jose is interesting. The NHL Network and Vs. are blaming Nabokov for the SJ troubles and he's not entirely blameless, but seriously.... they are so pathetic offensively right now....

Last night I watched Ryan Carter (of MSUM) play better than many of SJ's routine starters and I doubt Carter got much ice time.

Their goaltending was iffy last year to and i am sure i don't have to tell you the result.

I am right on the Sharks but I missed the mark on the Blues and Canucks.

That being said I bet Detroit is hoping they don't have to play the Ducks.

I am right on the Sharks but I missed the mark on the Blues and Canucks.

That being said I bet Detroit is hoping they don't have to play the Ducks.

I'm hoping that the Wings draw an opponent that wants to skate and do a run and gun style like Detroit because that's the only way I see Detroit advancing.

I hate the trap, but right now, if you eliminate Detroit's offensive game, they're done. I believe the trap/left wing lock is designed to combat that very thing.

I'm hoping that the Wings draw an opponent that wants to skate and do a run and gun style like Detroit because that's the only way I see Detroit advancing.

I hate the trap, but right now, if you eliminate Detroit's offensive game, they're done. I believe the trap/left wing lock is designed to combat that very thing.

Hard to eliminate Detroit's power play though....Detroit will be a tough out. I give the best chance to Vancouver with Luongo in net.

Hard to eliminate Detroit's power play though....Detroit will be a tough out. I give the best chance to Vancouver with Luongo in net.

I think Vancouver or Anaheim have legit shots at eliminating the Wings.

Heck, at one point, I remember thinking I could beat Osgood and I don't know how to skate! :D

I think Vancouver or Anaheim have legit shots at eliminating the Wings.

Heck, at one point, I remember thinking I could beat Osgood and I don't know how to skate! ;)

Yeah but how many times have you raised the cup?:D

True, but all 3 times Osgood did, he has never had seasons as poor as this.

Last year he pretty much carried the team on his back all the way to the cup, and this year he gave up 2 goals in 3 games and they swept. Sure he had a bad game 4 but everyone has a bad game every once in a while. How fun is it to root for a team that can give up 5 goals and still win. You should relax on osgood, he is probably one of the best goalies we have ever had and he does have three rings, and if Conklin needs to get into a game, i feel good about having him as a backup. Be happy you are not a Wild fan!!! :D

Last year he pretty much carried the team on his back all the way to the cup, and this year he gave up 2 goals in 3 games and they swept. Sure he had a bad game 4 but everyone has a bad game every once in a while. How fun is it to root for a team that can give up 5 goals and still win. You should relax on osgood, he is probably one of the best goalies we have ever had and he does have three rings, and if Conklin needs to get into a game, i feel good about having him as a backup. Be happy you are not a Wild fan!!! ???

Excuse me?

I think the one thing that the Wild have good is goaltending! Backstrom is one of the top goaltenders in the NHL. Why? Oh, he's not as dynamic as Brodeur or flashy as, say, Ryan Miller, but he's one of the most consistent goaltenders that is constantly tops in positioning.

He's heads and shoulders, knees and toes better than ANY other player on the Wild... Koivu is second, but there's a big gap.

I have never been a fan of the Wild. I've never liked teams whose GMs consistently go around with their heads in the sand when it comes to fixing problems that could solve the problem and take the team to the next level. I have no problem with DR's desire to build a team from within, through the draft and a few undrafted free agents here and there. However, that's a perpetual long-term approach. It's like always looking to tomorrow rather than figuring out how to win today. Signing a guy like Modano back in 2004-5 might not have solved the problem in the long term, but it certainly would have taken the Wild to the next level while the long term solution develops in the minors or juniors or overseas.

They aren't the only hockey team or sports team in general that does this. I tend to dislike all of the teams that do fit this mold.

A team shouldn't perpetually look to the future and ignore the present. That tells me that the team really isn't interested in winning this year...or maybe not next year. They'll be interested in winning _eventually_. Tell me, if you are a salesperson, are you going to be in sales very long if you are always looking to eventually making sales?

The best salespeople go out every day to make sales NOW and develop relationships to facilitate future sales. That's how it should work. You sign the free agents you need to compete this season and draft their replacements asap. Or, if you are missing an element, you go out and get it. Goalscorers in MJ may not show that tendency in the NHL (see Alexandre Daigle or even Stephane Veillieux scored 115 points one year in juniors). James Shepperd was a scorer in MJ and, though he's only played 160 games in the NHL, he's not scoring either.

Looking over the list of players the Wild have had, though, overall, not many forwards were huge scorers. This tells me that DR's draft strategy wasn't as effective as his system would require it to be. His free agent signings were almost as disastrous. He's also not very aggressive when he needs to be on trades.

Well, now the Wild start over. Hopefully things will be better for the Wild. They'll start drafting properly and go out and sign quality free agents. They'll get good players via trade.

Excuse me?

I think the one thing that the Wild have good is goaltending! Backstrom is one of the top goaltenders in the NHL. Why? Oh, he's not as dynamic as Brodeur or flashy as, say, Ryan Miller, but he's one of the most consistent goaltenders that is constantly tops in positioning.

IMHO I think Miller is NOT as good of a goalie as Backstrom. I am surprised that the Deadthings didn't try to pry Harding away from the Wild for one of their many talented forwards they have.

IMHO I think Miller is NOT as good of a goalie as Backstrom. I am surprised that the Deadthings didn't try to pry Harding away from the Wild for one of their many talented forwards they have.

I never said Miller was.

I was saying that Miller was one to make flashy saves.

I think Harding is just a younger Conklin. Both are capable of having stellar games at times, but both will more than likely not develop into a #1

I never said Miller was.

I was saying that Miller was one to make flashy saves.

I think Harding is just a younger Conklin. Both are capable of having stellar games at times, but both will more than likely not develop into a #1

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I dont' think Conklin is as good as Harding.

Harding will probably eventually will be a consistant starting goalie on some one NHL club.

Conklin will be a career back up.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I dont' think Conklin is as good as Harding.

Harding will probably eventually will be a consistant starting goalie on some one NHL club.

Conklin will be a career back up.

At several points this season, Conklin outplayed Osgood.

I don't know what the future holds for Harding. To be honest, I never even heard of him before he made his NHL debut.

He'll probably be good. Who knows.