SiouxSports.com Forum

Track & Field

bincitysioux

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cooper speedsters set sights on records - startribune.com

Out of simple curiosity, Cooper's Larry Frazier wandered over to the hurdles while some field events were happening during his freshman year.

Now three years later, Frazier has a goal of breaking Minnesota's record time in the 300-meter hurdles and returning to state.

"I've wanted that record since freshman year, and this is my last year to get it, so I'm definitely trying as hard as I can to get that this year," he said.

But the future University of North Dakota runner isn't the only Hawks runner with lofty goals.

• 2 months later...

With an indoor training facility seemingly closer to reality, is this a sign that UND athletics now plans to make track & field and CC a higher priority? Seems as if one sport / year has received higher support and priority per year: women's hockey, then women's volleyball, then women's softball, and now T&F?

With an indoor training facility seemingly closer to reality, is this a sign that UND athletics now plans to make track & field and CC a higher priority? Seems as if one sport / year has received higher support and priority per year: women's hockey, then women's volleyball, then women's softball, and now T&F?

I certainly hope your assumption is correct. Grandall bled green and is a nice guy but, with our facilities, it was not overly surprising that we didn't have a great deal of success. It was time for a change but there would be no chance of hiring a talented replacement unless better facilities were on the horizon soon.o

Having a good track program will also help us in FB recruiting from time-to-time as there are some athletes who wish to compete in both sports - even at the DI level.

• 9 months later...

Utah Valley and South Dakota absolutely destroyed everybody else in the GW championship.

Women's Overall Team Score

1. Utah Valley University 305

2. University of South Dakota 221

3. University of North Dakota 80

4. Houston Baptist Univ. 73

5. University of Texas Pan American 71

6. Seattle University 36

7. Chicago State University 21

8. New Jersey Inst. of Technology 5

Men's Overall Team Score

1. Utah Valley University 207

2. University of South Dakota 206

3. Houston Baptist Univ. 100

4. University of Texas Pan American 81

5. University of North Dakota 80.5

6. Seattle University 64.5

7. New Jersey Inst. of Technology 35

8. Chicago State University 33

• 2 months later...

Perhaps UND is beginning to put some serious resources into Track & Field:

Galbraith named T&F head coach

And yet another look to the west, Galbraith coming from UNC.

New coach brings Division I experience

A program transitioning into NCAA Division I and the Big Sky Conference, the UND track and field teams now have a head coach with just the right experience.

UND announced Tuesday that Kevin Galbraith, who has been the head coach at Northern Colorado the past seven seasons, has been hired to head the men’s and women’s programs.

Galbraith guided the Bears through their transition from Division II to Division I and into the Big Sky.

During his time at UNC, Galbraith’s student-athletes set 15 school records and added 68 marks to the program’s men’s and women’s top-10 lists.

The announcement comes as UND is in the process of realigning the structure of its track and field coaching staff.

I wonder if this signals the arrival of the long awaited indoor practice/track facility??

Wonder why he would make what looks like a lateral move for him, plus he has to go through the last year of the transition here.

That was my reason for wondering if perhaps there isn't some movement on the indoor facility. Galbraith is coming from a Big Sky school that he coached for 7 years to come to North Dakota, which isn't really known for a great track/field program. Something is pulling him to North Dakota.

That was my reason for wondering if perhaps there isn't some movement on the indoor facility. Galbraith is coming from a Big Sky school that he coached for 7 years to come to North Dakota, which isn't really known for a great track/field program. Something is pulling him to North Dakota.

Northern Colorado does not pay their coaches well, so one can likely assume Galbraith came to UND as part of a pay increase. Since NC also recruited some foreign athletes, would also assume scholarships associated with T&F will be increased at UND relative to NC