SiouxSports.com Forum

If you don't find the UND/Crookston game exciting

WYOBISONMAN

We can only hope that's the case -- the 3 year contract with Crookston expires this year -- I haven't heard who the replacement(s) will be ....

Hey Sioux fans

If you want another easy team to beat the crap out of instead of challenging yourselves, I think Minnesota State University-Moorhead is looking for some good competition.

BTW---enjoy the Nickel while you can, cause it is coming back home in Fargo in October.

I thought I'd never cheer for the Bison, but it felt pretty good when Montana missed the field goal at the end.

Browsing the Bisonville website, I think the Bison now see and feel what the Sioux have for so many years (for hockey). They are all excited talking about seeing the score at the bottom of ESPN and now talking about trying to get more games televised, etc.

Awesome, nice going today bison. give credit where credit is due. Montana is probably not going to be in the upper echelon of 1aa this year but they have been an established program for the last 7 or 8 years and beating them in their house in front of a large crowd is a quality win for the herd. Plus as a Sioux alum in Fargo, this makes making $$ off my bison rooting friends that much easier, it does not take much for them to get cocky and think it is the 80's again(hell i got points last year). Right now I am asking for 14 1/2 points :huh: I would only ask for 11 1/2 if it was in the FARGODOME(our home away from home). :glare:

So which of the following is true??

Craig Bohl did not have a clue at Nebraska.(Same players this year and they look like the blackshirts of old)(The Charley mcBride days)) or was he the scapegoat last year?

Bob Babich was and is a horrible coach.

Tony Stauss is that much of a difference maker.

I was a huge Babich critic, but a lot of these players are Babich players. I think Babich was just not a good coach, but he did have an eye for talent. Bohl coached an incredible game in the second half and the players gave him thier all. And we all know that on "Any Given Saturday" anything can happen. I would think that now this should get the Bison taken seriously as NCC contender this season.......And how about those Jack taking apart NWMSU.....quite a day for the NCC.

petey23,

Answers-

Nebraska had a lot of injuries last year on D. Linebackers are the heart of the the Nebraska D, and Bohl had coached them for the past 8 years. Yes, the defense did slide, but the OFFENSE took a bigger dive over the past couple years, yet nobody was canned on that side of the ball. I think he was a bit of a scapegoat, and maybe didn't get along with Solich that well. I think if Solich hadn't dumped some coaches last year, Nebraska fans would have wanted his head ( A lot of them already did).

I don't think Babich was a horrible coach, but he was insufficient in some critical areas. He did get some very good recruits to NDSU. One of his biggest downfalls was motivation. Babich-era Bison teams never seemed to have a good start. It was the second quarter or second half many times before the team would wake up. His play calling/ offensive scheme was awful.

I think Stauss is a difference maker in one apsect- leadership. He has good athletic ability, and does make excellent choices. From what I've heard, the offensive system is what makes him look good and would make most decent QB's look good.

Classy post, Tuk. I'm already beginning to regret that I pulled for NDSU to upset the Grizzlies.

Sorry man, but I was just trying to get some cheap jab lines in....figured it was about time to start the ball rolling for October......

:glare:

I'm left with three questions after the NDSU-Montana game, but first, you have to give credit to a road team that wins in that situation. NDSU could have folded up at halftime and they didn't.

Now the questions:

1. Was Babich really that bad of a coach? Bohl just won with essentially Babich's players (albeit with a new QB). Credit Bohl.

2. Did everyone else get the feeling that Montana's defense wore out at the end and they went hyper-conservative offense after being picked off in the second half? The Griz looked like they were physically worn down. (That's a compliment to NDSU.)

3. Will NDSU have anything left in the emotional tank for UC-Davis Saturday? Of course, UC-Davis is coming off a tough loss.

Defending NCAA Champs Edge Aggies 9-6 In Overtime Thriller

David Hendrix kicked a 26-yard field goal in the first overtime on Saturday - his third of the game - as defending NCAA Division II champion Grand Valley State (Mich.) beat UC Davis 9-6 in the season opener football game for both teams, played before 6,447 fans at Toomey Field. The Lakers won their 27th straight regular-season game and have won 34 of their last 35 overall.

Anyone know who Grand Valley's only loss in that run is to? :huh::glare:

Hold it: GVSU beats UCD. Isn't that another DII over a IAA on the weekend?

Hold it: GVSU beats UCD. Isn't that another DII over a IAA on the weekend?

There have been a couple of other interesting I-AA vs. dII games in the last two years involving UND opponents. New Haven, who lost to UND 42-10 in 2001, beat Villavova that same year, who finished 8-3 and ranked 18th in the final I-AA poll. Also, Central Washington won last year at Montana State. Montana State went on to have a pretty good year, beating Montana, winning a share of the Big Sky title and making the playoffs. While I don't generally put much stock into score differential, it's also somewhat interesting to note that Central Washington's margin of victory over Montana State last year was almost identical to Washington State's (a ranked I-A team).

Sorry, you guys have been great but in my defense, I had just logged in to see what the Crookston score was and the post I saw was from OEKTB

As "fiesty" as I felt Saturday, I knew I might get in trouble while posting. But keep in mind this is Siouxsports.com, not a Bison booster board, and I truly felt that Montana looked god-awful in the half of football I saw.

To give props where they are due, the fake fieldgoal play was fantastic. Yuck.. I feel so dirty.

Sicatoka,

The answer about the UCD/GVSU question is maybe. UNC and UCD can fund at the DI level, they have to follow DI rules, but yet UNC's volleyball team is ranked in the DII poll, and Tony stated that records will go into the DII record book. It's like they're in NeverNeverLand this year.

Anyhow, other DII over I-AA victories

Valdosta State over Florida Atlantic (FAU was ranked #24 in one poll, but wasn't in the top 50 in the USA Today/ESPN poll and not in the top 40 of Don Hansen's poll. They also finished 2-9 last year and had a Gridiron power index ranking in the 80's- not good)

Tusculum over Elon (NDSU beat Tusculum the week before)

I'm left with three questions after the NDSU-Montana game,

Now the questions:

1. Was Babich really that bad of a coach? Bohl just won with essentially Babich's players (albeit with a new QB). Credit Bohl.

2. Did everyone else get the feeling that Montana's defense wore out at the end and they went hyper-conservative offense after being picked off in the second half? The Griz looked like they were physically worn down. (That's a compliment to NDSU.)

3. Will NDSU have anything left in the emotional tank for UC-Davis Saturday? Of course, UC-Davis is coming off a tough loss.

IMHO,

1)Bohl

2)worn out (See Maine trip)week before.(not an excuse and you should be ready....)

example: A trip to UAA and then come home for a weekend against Mich Tech....

And hey the Bison are D1aa next year what better way to draw attention!

3)Yes! :glare:

I would like more T-F questions... :huh: