SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/REA Hockey Camps

Rick

I posted this on uscollegehockey, but I will post it here also:

Fighting Sioux hockey camps drew over 1200 kids to Ralph Engelstad Arena this year. Many of the kids are from North Dakota, Minnesota and Manitoba. But quite a few kids came from the Mps/St. Paul Metro area. In addition to that, there were a lot of kids from Alaska, Texas, Montana, South Dakota, California, Wyoming, Wisconsin, and several other states and Canadian Provinces. Some kids flew in on private jets.

If a kid is flying to camp, Coach Blais picks them up at the airport. Parents are really amazed when they call the office to make arrangements for lodging and airport pickup. They think they will have to make arrangements for a taxi or hotel shuttle (if they are staying at a hotel), or a UND shuttle (if they are staying in a dorm) to pick up their kids at the airport. Then they are told that Coach Blais will be picking them up when their flight arrives. If Coach Blais is unable to make it, then Assistant Coaches Dave Hakstol or Brad Berry will be picking them up. Like everything else they do, the hockey camp is a first class operation.

Women

Thanks for the info - very interesting! It is good to see Blais taking such an active role with these kids. That may go a long ways when/if he is recruiting the same kids sometime down the line.

It is also good to see a lot of players from the Cities attending the camp.

Rivard's involvement can only help the women's program. It appears they received some commitments in recent weeks from some talented girls from the Cities.

I think the whole concept is awesome. There are some smaller camps out there that feature big time talent. I hear that there is a hockey camp hosted by Curtis Joseph in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area, though I may be wrong. I do know that it is no where near as big as this and it may just be for goaltending (if it does exist).

As for Blais, I think he really is a class act in this camp, even if teaching women hockey players to check is a bit... useless. Unless they reversed their decision allowing women hockey players to check. In principle, however, individual time with a pro is individual time. Hard to argue about that.

Actually, it kinda makes me wish I would have learned to skate as a kid.

I think the whole concept is awesome. There are some smaller camps out there that feature big time talent. I hear that there is a hockey camp hosted by Curtis Joseph in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area, though I may be wrong. I do know that it is no where near as big as this and it may just be for goaltending (if it does exist).

As for Blais, I think he really is a class act in this camp, even if teaching women hockey players to check is a bit... useless. Unless they reversed their decision allowing women hockey players to check. In principle, however, individual time with a pro is individual time. Hard to argue about that.

Actually, it kinda makes me wish I would have learned to skate as a kid.

FYI, my friends daughter plays on boys teams at this point, and is of a level where they are beginning to check.

All these reports of Blais being a good guy seem out of sync with some of the things I've read on the internet. It seems that, according to experts in Anchorage, AK and Waseca, MN (who have probably never met him), Blais doesn't care about his players. Funny to hear first-hand accounts to the contrary.

Having worked with the hockey camps in the past I can affirm that Blais really takes a huge interest in these kids. I was on the Dorm end of it but was always around to answer questions that us counselors had and he also wanted to stay informend of what was going on in the dorms.

I had personal contact with him on more than one occasion and he was nothing but pleasant and decent, even after I showed him the damage that one of his kids caused in on the residence halls.

While never attending a Blais camp, I have heard that Blais takes great interest in the kid's development as players. I attended Dahl's camp at JBSU before my first year of Bantam's, and while Dahl seemed like a nice guy, he never went out on the ice to work with us, it was his assistant's and a few WCHA players (mostly JBSU and a Wisco...now you know why I'm not good enough to play in D1, look who was showing me how :) ). Still the camp was a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 kids attending UND camp this week. My oldest has been there 5 or 6 years now. Dean is usually not on the ice, but he is very visible watching the kids, and interacting with kids and parents outside of the locker rooms. Dean is very intense, but anyone who knows him would tell you that he is a great guy and is very interested in the kids. If you show loyalty to him, he will show loyalty to you forever. The instructors include many current and former players, including David Hoogsteen, Aaron Schneekloth, Karl Goehring, Brandon Bochenski, Scott Koberinski, David Lundbohm, Rory McMahon, Brian Canady, Tyler Palmiscino, and many, many others. Steve Johnson (coach of Lincoln Stars) is also there, and his 8 year old son Luke is participating in the camps. I think that is a testament to what most of his former players think of him. They come back every year to golf outings, UND sponsored events, etc. Jason Blake, Dave Tippet (Dallas Stars coach) and many current and former pros show up every year.

I remember going there as a kid. I remember Brent Bobyck was my group leader one year. And I think I got in a fight with some kid from South Dakota that year...was that you PCM? :)

Sounds like it's still a great camp...probably even better. I can't wait to send my kids there someday. But I 'spose I have to have kids first. :)