SiouxSports.com Forum

Article on Steve Johnson

dagies

A pretty vanilla article. Some random thoughts by me:

"...but there [wasn't] much mention of the two players that got away or if Johnson would ever return to coach at UND."

-- Those are the two subjects that could have made the article interesting.

"Of course, in my heart I want to see my best guys go to UND, but I can't get into a situation where I funnel guys a certain way," Johnson said.

--Maybe he should get some advice from Lou and Glen. ;):D

"There are so many good local players that go on to colleges. It's hard to get them all."

--I realize SJ's just being diplomatic and my comment is not really directed at him...but I really hate this line. Nobody expects UND to get all the local prospects...just the best. It's not as if UND merely missed out on a couple role players.

"There are so many good local players that go on to colleges. It's hard to get them all."

--I realize SJ's just being diplomatic and my comment is not really directed at him...but I really hate this line. Nobody expects UND to get all the local prospects...just the best. It's not as if UND merely missed out on a couple role players.

Well put. Irmen and Potulny are 2 of the best recruits in the country, not 3rd or 4th line type guys. The situation with Ryan Potulny is understandable because he was going to go to Minnesota anyway. Plus, the Sioux at least recruited him. I would like Hakstol or someone to tell Sioux fans, however, why Irmen was not recruited. He is more proven than any of the forwards that the Sioux have coming in other than Brady Murray.

I stand by my conviction that the difference between

UND & UM this year will be their incoming recruits.

Had the Sioux landed Potulny & Irmen, they would

have had a very good chance at finishing first.

Imagine these 2 on a 2nd line-- 3 deep scoring

lines & a formidable checking line of Hale, McMahon

& Prpich. We'll just hope that Canady, Connelly &

Genoway (Palmo) can find the twine unlike last year...

Nebraska football is a good example of an athletic program that very rarely lets its in-state talent escape

to other schools--the same should be said of UND.

sfip, I have to disagree with you. The difference between MN and UND is that UND is chasing MN's big class. The upcoming senior class for MN has exceeded expectations all along the way, and each year they've been a year older and better than UND's big class, the current juniors. Not just older, but just plain better.

The classes since then have been, IMO, of pretty similar caliber. I know Vanek was nothing less than a clutch superstar last year, but people who fail to consider Parise a nearly equally amazing phenom are getting lost in the respective teams' accomplishments. As nice as their other forwards and Harrington are as players, and I respect them all, I really like Prpich and Greene as well.

As for the upcoming freshman classes, while it remains to be seen what everyone will do at this level, I think that UND's duo of Murray and Stafford are as good as any pair of incoming forwards this year, including Potulny and Irmen. I really wish they were going to play for UND, but it's not like Blais and Co. settled for leftovers because they missed them. UND apparently didn't recruit Irmen, and I don't know why. Perhaps their funds were mostly committed by that point. I understand that MN wasn't after Stafford much either, for whatever reason. I expect that they will both be very good. As for Potulny, that battle was lost three years earlier, when UND chose not to recruit Grant. It looks like a bad decision now (understatement of the year), but that judgement comes with hindsight, and it was not nearly so clear back then.

When your team just won, a fan has a tendency to overrate the individuals involved. I know many Gopher fans think each of their players are a lot better than every other team's players. Heck, I look down their lineup and am equally impressed. They are loaded. However, the significant events that happened later have clouded memories of the only meeting between the two teams last year, when UND was equal or better than MN for five periods in Mariucci. Letting MN back in in the third period Saturday was unfortunate, but had less to do with UND than with the amazing clutch quality of that MN team. MN was not yet at full strength, and was struggling with aspects of their game, but the fact remains that there didn't seem to exist the vast "gulf" in talent between the teams that is conventional wisdom right now. UND's defense, you know, the guys known for not handling the puck like the M wizards, contained MN's offense as well as anyone did all year.

MN has earned the right to be called favorites, but I like UND's chances if they get consistent goaltending.

there didn't seem to exist the vast "gulf" in talent between the teams that is conventional wisdom right now. UND's defense, you know, the guys known for not handling the puck like the M wizards, contained MN's offense as well as anyone did all year.

MN has earned the right to be called favorites, but I like UND's chances if they get consistent goaltending.

Agree with your assessment, jk. I know a team of defensive defensemen can be better than one loaded with offensive talent on the blue line (often at the expense of defense). The Sioux have won that way in the past, no reason they can't do it again. MN is the favorite, but the Sioux have shown the potential to play at the same level as MN did late last year.

Although it would be nice to have one of their offensive dmen, I wouldn't trade any of the Sioux dmen to get one. The junior class must all show up this year.

Thanks, jk, for sharing your perspective. Being a

distant observer, I'm not going to dispute your

opinions. Besides, they sound pretty convincing

& insightful. ;)

I guess I didn't express myself very well. I meant

to say that the additions of Irmen & Potulny would

have given the Sioux forwards some scoring punch

that they currently lack with their juniors (that's

why I mentioned Canady, Connelly, etc).

I didn't mean to imply that our freshmen were

subpar; just that we could have been that much

better with Irmen & Potulny in Kelly green.

It sounds like we're set defensively for the next

2-3 years with Beaverson & Radke rolling in next

year. It'll be interesting to see if Blais can make

his forward lines as deep as his defensive corp.

It's difficult to win championships with one

explosive line & a significant drop in forward

talent after that. Time to heavily scout/recruit

the very TOP USHL forwards & those from the

w. Canadian junior A leagues...

I won't dispute that it can be done with an all-defensive D corp, but the last 3 titles had these guys on the blueline:

1987 Kidd, Parent

1997 Murphy

2000 Roche

They were significant factors on their teams. I'm not familiar with the teams from the early 80's. My impression is they were stacked with offensive talent.

I won't dispute that it can be done with an all-defensive D corp, but the last 3 titles had these guys on the blueline:

1987 Kidd, Parent

1997 Murphy

2000 Roche

They were significant factors on their teams.

The teams from the early 80's were stacked with offensive talent and could score with the best of them. Players such as Smail, Sykes, Taylor, Eades could all score. However, they also had great goaltending with Jon Casey, and great defense with Marc Chorney, Howard Walker and James Patrick. Those teams had many, many players that went on to have NHL careers. Those teams played more like an NHL team in that they were physical and rarely allowed shots outside the perimeter.

The 87 team was good mostly because they had Tony Hrkac (still the best college player that I have ever seen), Bob Joyce (who scored 50+ goals), Ian Kidd and Russ Parent (2 very offensive defensemen) and Belfour. In other words, they could score almost at will, particularly on the power play, and Belfour would always be there for the big save. Russ Parent was a Curtis Murphy clone. He was very offensive-minded---a great skater who would often lead offensive rushes.

Dean's teams are different than Gino's, which is partly because of the changes in college hockey. There was no Olympic sized ice in the 80's, which meant that a physical NHL style was more effective. Now, many of the teams in the WCHA have big ice sheets (Minnesota, Denver, CC, Alaska, St. Cloud). As a result, an offensive defenseman like Roche, Murphy, Williamson, Preissing, Ballard, etc. is more of a necessity.

Dean's success has been based upon faster, quicker and better passing teams and the offensive defensemen. In my opinion, that style is much more fun to watch. I would much rather watch a college or European style than an NHL style. The last couple of years, Dean does seem to be recruiting bigger "stay at home" defensemen, but that is probably because Hakstol and Berry recruit the defense and that is the style that they played. Maybe Andy Schneider will take on the role of the offensive defenseman this year. Regardless, the Sioux defense should be very good this year.

I agree with jk's assessment, but I think not everyone realizes that we HAVE an offensive Defenseman.

Wasn't Andy Schneider among the leaders (not the leader, but in the neighborhood at least) in scoring defensemen last season? Didn't have have something like 10 goals or better? I admit, Schneider is more of a defensive threat, but he CAN score.

We can make arguments about our 3rd and 4th lines, or even our 2nd lines, but I trust Blais' recruiting instincts on his current team. Irmen's loss was unfortunate, but it happened and we have to live with it.

It's the goaltending we have to look at. We don't get Lammy for another season so we have the question mark still looming over the twine on our OWN end. Let's worry about that before we worry about offensive talent.

If you recall, the Sabres, Hurricanes, and the 1995 Devils all made the Stanley Cup Finals boasting more defensive minded teams. One could even argue the Stars did too.

Blais can make a dominating team. The advantage this year is that UND doesn't have all the hype. MN graciously took that by the performance of their seniors and the back to back championships they've won. By the way, don't confuse hype with expectations.

As for the 80s teams, as skateshattrick stated, look at their goaltending. Balfour and Casey. Wow.

Andy Schneider can no doubt score. And Nick Fuher has an excellent shot (when he's not shooting it into the shin pads of an opposing player). But that's not my total definition of an offensive defenceman. I think UND needs a better break-out and transition game. As everyone knows, offence begins in the defensive and neutral zones. A defenceman who sees the ice and can consistently make a move, put a pass on the tape, or lead an offensive rush is desperately needed.

As everyone knows, offence begins in the defensive and neutral zones. A defenceman who sees the ice and can consistently make a move, put a pass on the tape, or lead an offensive rush is desperately needed.

I think this needs to be tempered a bit, I think the Sioux transition was very good for much of the year. Then there were portions of games, or entire games, when noone, dmen or forwards could put a pass on a stick. Seemed the talent to get it done is there, just a bit of inconsistency.

No matter how many Goph fans post that the Sioux defense is poor, I don't concur. If the Sioux go through a portion of next season (especially late in the season) showing inability to transition and score, I may change my mind.

The Sioux's ability to score through so much of the early home schedule (with all those games against Canisius) showed us how much talent is there, in spite of the schedule. At the same time, some of the games were closer than they should have been to due to soft goals given up by the goaltending corps. Could be that the team lost confidence during that stretch in keeping the puck out of their own net, and the lack of confidence really showed up late in the season (when Brandts goaltending was very good but the offense didn't show up).

It will be an interesting season. Nice that the team will be more challenged by first half opponents than they were last year.

I don't think UND's defence is poor. They're VERY good defensively. In the games I actually saw, the D-men were very good at holding the blue line and keeping shots to minimum and from the perimeter. However, when the defence gained control of the puck in the defensive end, there were stretches where UND just flat-out couldn't break out of the zone. And when they did, seldom was it done in a way that created an offensive rush. I'm not enough of an expert to know exactly what was wrong or if the defence were mostly to blame...it just seemed to me that a defenceman with great hands and vision was sorely missed. I don't know, maybe it was just the games I saw.

Andy Schneider can no doubt score. And Nick Fuher has an excellent shot (when he's not shooting it into the shin pads of an opposing player). But that's not my total definition of an offensive defenceman. I think UND needs a better break-out and transition game. As everyone knows, offence begins in the defensive and neutral zones. A defenceman who sees the ice and can consistently make a move, put a pass on the tape, or lead an offensive rush is desperately needed.

Again, I agree completely. Schneider and Fuher can score when set up in the offensive zone, but we truly lack a player who can break the puck out and start the transition. The Sioux defensemen breakout last year (other than Hale) was often to either bang it off of the boards or the glass. We also used far too much "dump and chase". That may be the way Tech, Wisconsin and Duluth play, but its ugly hockey and does not utilize the abilities of some of the skilled forwards. We desperately need a Roche, Murphy, Williamson type of player. Maybe Andy Schneider can be that person, but he was not last year despite the fact that he had as many points as Ballard.

No matter how many Goph fans post that the Sioux defense is poor, I don't concur.

I think it is important to make a distinction when discussing whose defensemen are better. The comment is often made in referring to the MN defensemen that they are "more skilled".

Are they?

I believe if you talk about offensive skill, then I agree.

If you are talking defensive skills, i.e. knowing how to position yourself not to get beat, have the physical tools and smarts to keep an opponent from setting up in front, or getting around you, keep the puck in the offensive zone, etc, then I may not agree. I think overall the Sioux defensemen are better with defensive skills.

2003: 125-70 +55

2002: 108-63 +45

2001: 115-80 +35

2000: 112-70 +42

1999: 142-76 +66

1998: 127-80 +47

What are those?

The WCHA's league champion's goals for, goals against, and goal differential (under a 28 game league schedule).

That looks to me like to win a league title (which I'm using for a general benchmark of success to talk about) you have to give up 80 or fewer and be at least +35 over what you give up.

UND last year: 103-82 +21

The defense is just about at the benchmark, even with last season's questionable goaltending.

I'd say offensive production is the issue at hand and you don't look to defensemen to make up that much differential. Success won't come from one offensive defenseman; success will come when all four lines decide they need to contribute on the scoreboard.

What's interesting about those numbers are they are WCHA numbers, and don't take into account the "cupcakes" early on. Those are pretty good numbers, and I daresay this team should have every expectation of reducing the GA signficantly this year. Hale missed a fair number of WCHA games last year, so his loss isn't as signficant to these numbers as they might be.

The rest of the D corp except Smaby are all a year older and more experienced. And our goalie situation can't be much worse, so should be equal or better than it was.

The GA SHOULD experience a reasonable to significant decrease over last year.

The defense is just about at the benchmark, even with last season's questionable goaltending.

I'd say offensive production is the issue at hand and you don't look to defensemen to make up that much differential. Success won't come from one offensive defenseman; success will come when all four lines decide they need to contribute on the scoreboard.

That is overly simplistic. Defense is not simply defensemen playing well, it is forwards backchecking, playing good position and hustle. The same is true of offense. Goals are not scored simply because of forwards doing their job, they need the defense to break the puck out of the zone (rather than banging it off of the boards or dumping it in), passing the puck well in transition, and holding the puck in the offensive zone. Most (not all) of the Sioux's scoring droughts were directly attributable to the fact that the forwards had to either spend too much time in the defensive zone helping out or chasing the puck in the neutral zone. If the defense cannot get the puck out of their own zone, the forwards will not be able to generate anything. The Sioux seldom had odd man rushes last year, which is more of a defensive shortcoming.

As a Gopher fan, I dont think the Sioux defense is bad. In fact they impressed me more during the Mariucci series than Parise did. Greene and Co. punished the heck out of our forwards and played a very solid position defense to protect your goalie from shots. They play excellent defense.

Problem is they cant move the puck. Despite what some think that is very important. They dont need to go end to end and score ala Keith Ballard, or be able to crash the net like a Paul Martin, or even have a booming shot like a Ballard or Leopold (or Roche) but they need to be able to get the puck out of the zone. To me, the most valuable part of having Ballard, Martin or when we had Jordan was that if the other team put the pressure on, those guys would get the puck and bring out of the zone themselves. It seems like a little thing, but it helps a ton. By doing so it often allowed for a line change, or a breakout to happen. They could also pass well which helped to garner more end to end rushes for the likes of a Vanek or whomever. Heck even Demarchi as a senior was decent at getting the puck out without banging off the boards.

The 6 or 7 games I saw the Sioux play, I noticed much of what you guys are saying, that Greene and the boys would be content to just shoot the puck off the boards and out of the zone. It is almost like playing a PK. That is not a recipe for success.

I agree with dagies (I think it was dagies) who said that offensively the Gophs would trump you (offensive d-men) and defensive you trump us. The Gophs arent horrible, in fact most of the D-men are very good defensively, but they cant shut a team down like your defensive guys. Just like your guys arent bad offensively, but they cant score/move the puck equal to Ballard, Martin and Harrington.

Let me get more simplistic:

Defense is a team responsibility. They did that (league-wise relatively) well last season.

Offense is a team responsibility and they have left themselves many more "opportunities for improvement" in this area (in comparison to defense). When you look to offense you must first look to forwards capitalizing on opportunities. The lower lines did not do that last season.

Regarding defensemen:

His last season Mike Commodore was known to carry the puck out of the zone a few times. That comes with skills and confidence. I know that Schneider, Fuher, and Jones (and Greene) have the skills; I'm hoping their playing experience gives them more confidence this season. I'm not looking for end-to-end rushes, just an on-the-tape pass through the neutral zone (after they get it to or over their blue line).

I agree with The Sicatoka on the lower lines scoring. There was not much threat of that after the top 1.5 lines IMO.

And I agree with Handy regarding the defensemen carrying the puck out of the zone. A little more confidence and ability to get a rush started would really help in transition, and hopefully spring a forward or 2 loose. Instead of chasing the puck in the neutral zone they can work to an open spot and receive a pass.

As I said earlier, the team made great strides in this area over the previous year. Let's hope that progression holds. If so I don't think we'll be talking about this much.

So far, I am in agreement with everyone, but we are forgetting something.

For UND to be successful, it seems, (going by last season alone because I don't have all the stats- my bad) A key to UND's success is special teams.

Ok, our goaltending was subpar. Our passing was pretty bad. But I believe the key to all those tough losses we took was our special teams. Our inability to score on the powerplay and our inability to stay OUT of the penalty box. Not to mention, I feel special teams action affects even the 5 on 5 action.

For example, if we are playing with low confidence in our penalty kill team (which was poor considering how often we were on it), we may not play as confidently as we could. The Gophers, in my opinion, had confidence in their goaltender and their special teams. Their record shows it too. After the CC series last season, I think we showed no confidence at all on the ice.

Though I am exaggerating, it seemed like every penalty we took, the opposition scored. I think if we improve our goaltending, our passing, and our special teams, I think our transitions and our confidence will improve almost on its own and our record will show it.

Sometimes I feel like our transitions and breakouts are foiled because we seem to be trying too hard to make it look "pretty." I don't feel like it needs to be pretty for a goal or a good chance at a goal to occur. A garbage goal is just as good as a highlight goal, in my opinion. So, why not keep it simple? Tape to tape passes, skate with the puck more, bank clearing passes off the sides of the rink instead of the far end. Icing the puck isn't working folks.

As for our bottom two lines, well, it'll improve.