SiouxSports.com Forum

What did you think ?

Fetch

fienhage is straight from highschool, blood has a year of ushl under his belt. blood is probably more advanced right now but its going to be fun to watch both of these guys develop. both are very big with a lot of skill. from brads blog it seems toews will be playing this weekend as he practiced the last week but they just didn't play him to be safe. gregoire and toews will both be impact freshman which we need on this team. im guessing both goalies will play a game out east as well. will be a nice road game test at BU on friday. one more note was malone and zajac were great on face offs vs manitoba.

Fienhage played a little in the USHL after his high school season but Blood definately pretty smooth on his skate. I like Blood's size he could definately be an asset this season.

Fienhage played a little in the USHL after his high school season but Blood definately pretty smooth on his skate. I like Blood's size he could definately be an asset this season.

he played a handfull of games, huge difference between a whole season like blood did after shattuck. both will end up being big time D men for the sioux but one will also be sitting nightly as long as the other 5 d men stay healthy.im guessing friday fiehnage will and then saturday who knows.

I think we should throw out the band before the game and have the authentic Native American drummers come in prior to every game, along with a possible Native blessing. Not that its too little to late but the ceremony would give us far more credit if we did it more than once every two years.

Also, the team should have been on the bench with the coaches during the ceremony. In the NHL, both teams are on the bench during any ceremony.

I think we are back to the same argument that a lot of great defensemen that have come through here didn't look comfortable the first half of the year, much less the first game. We have talked about Commodore, Smaby, and Finley to name a few. In each case by the end of the year they had improved markedly and I expect no less of Blood and Fienage. I would hope by now that people would cut young defensemen a little slack and give them time to grow into the system.

I think we are back to the same argument that a lot of great defensemen that have come through here didn't look comfortable the first half of the year, much less the first game. We have talked about Commodore, Smaby, and Finley to name a few. In each case by the end of the year they had improved markedly and I expect no less of Blood and Fienage. I would hope by now that people would cut young defensemen a little slack and give them time to grow into the system.

Yeah that is a really good point, I can' t wait to see how they develop. It should be exciting...

i agree. just look at the names that have came through UND throught the years. these 2 are going to be damn good

The one guy people haven't mentioned much is Brad Malone. He laid out two Bison during one shift. He's a friggin wrecking ball!

Maybe he should teach Finley how to make a quality check.

really, i thoiught finley had 3 big time hits early on in that game. i think joe is just fine

malone was great on face offs as well. maybe this sophmore class with him, frattin and trupp really come into their own. would be great to see along with a few impact freshman

really, i thoiught finley had 3 big time hits early on in that game. i think joe is just fine

malone was great on face offs as well. maybe this sophmore class with him, frattin and trupp really come into their own. would be great to see along with a few impact freshman

I certainly did not mean to bash Joe. I agree he's doing fine. However if he finished checks like Malone, yikes! The Bison actually knocked Big Joe down several times as well.

I certainly did not mean to bash Joe. I agree he's doing fine. However if he finished checks like Malone, yikes! The Bison actually knocked Big Joe down several times as well.

ahh, thats ok...they were big 24 year old canadien freshman :D malone is a rock for sure!

ahh, thats ok...they were big 24 year old canadien freshman :D malone is a rock for sure!

I don't know... that sound I hear might be a bus warming up... :D

mikejm is right, though...

once you warm up the bus for Finley, might as well run over Blood and Fienhage as well. You know... gas prices these days. :D

once you warm up the bus for Finley, might as well run over Blood and Fienhage as well. You know... gas prices these days. :D

I don't agree with it, or understand it, but I expect that you're right. No matter how good they are they won't be good enough.

Actually I expect Blood and Fienhage will have an easier time making hits because they won't be as much taller than the other players as Finley is.

Really, lets not get silly, no one was suggesting throwing anyone under the bus in my section of the arena.

Really, lets not get silly, no one was suggesting throwing anyone under the bus in my section of the arena.

Yes but for some posters, if you don't effusively praise every Sioux player and in doing so compare them to Bobby Orr (defense) or Gretzky (forward) you ARE throwing them under the bus.

i have no problem with anyone anywhere critisizing players unless it gets personal and thats where it needs to stop and that sometimes is the problem when so and so fan doesnt like so and so as a player. players screw up and they should be critisized and not eberyone sees everything through the same glasses in this world thank god. they play in a top ncaa conference and for a top team year to year. just like players should get praised when they should they can get critisized as well as coaches. this team is going to be solid. the sophmore class that didnt do much last season is ready to step up along with a few impact freshman. mix that with this group of seniors and thats a nice mix to have!! lets take it to BU right off the bat!!

i have no problem with anyone anywhere critisizing players unless it gets personal and thats where it needs to stop and that sometimes is the problem when so and so fan doesnt like so and so as a player. players screw up and they should be critisized and not eberyone sees everything through the same glasses in this world thank god. they play in a top ncaa conference and for a top team year to year. just like players should get praised when they should they can get critisized as well as coaches. this team is going to be solid. the sophmore class that didnt do much last season is ready to step up along with a few impact freshman. mix that with this group of seniors and thats a nice mix to have!! lets take it to BU right off the bat!!

I agree I don't mind constructive criticism but petty personal attacks are uncool. If a player has a bad game that ok to bring it up, when people are writing I want so and so to sign because he sucks is kind of out there...

I wish that the people making the criticisms would be accurate in their criticisms. Take the Joe Finley thing. Now you can wish a guy that size would be out there knocking people down.

Well that's not his game at this level.

But you have to respect him leading the team in plus/minus for the last two years let alone having a fairly high plus/minus in his rookie year behind Drew Staffords gaudy numbers.

We're darn lucky that he came back. I think with him we've got a shot at going to Washington.

But yeah, if a guy's had an off night then it's a legitimate discussion point.

I wish that the people making the criticisms would be accurate in their criticisms. Take the Joe Finley thing. Now you can wish a guy that size would be out there knocking people down.

Well that's not his game at this level.

But you have to respect him leading the team in plus/minus for the last two years let alone having a fairly high plus/minus in his rookie year behind Drew Staffords gaudy numbers.

We're darn lucky that he came back. I think with him we've got a shot at going to Washington.

But yeah, if a guy's had an off night then it's a legitimate discussion point.

I thought Joe played good last night... I am happy he is back but I am sure there are going to be a few that aren't as happy that he returned. One of them is proably bucky the mascot. :D

Before we start sewing banners to hang in The Ralph, one needs to remember last night's game was Manitoba's third in as many nights. Also, the Sioux have pretty much had target practice on the Bison(s) goalie the last few years: 07 the shots were 42-13; 06 37-20; and 05 49-18. The last "real" game Manitoba put up was in 04 when the Sioux outshot the Bison(s) just 24-19 while winning 8-3.

I watched on television, so I'm sure I missed a lot of nuances in performance, but there were plenty of encouraging signs. It is early, though, and one has to consider the competition. BU will be a better indication of this team's talent.

Amen to this post.