SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Scott Stevens was a defensive defensemen and his game was spectacular.

Yea, if you think 'spectacular' should define a cheap-shot. Scott Stevens was a great defenseman, but the number of hits where he left his feet to hammer someone, got his elbow or forearm right under someone's chin, or went with the shoulder to the mouth hit...well, it speaks for itself.

Scott Stevens Top Ten Hits

Yea, if you think 'spectacular' should define a cheap-shot. Scott Stevens was a great defenseman, but the number of hits where he left his feet to hammer someone, got his elbow or forearm right under someone's chin, or went with the shoulder to the mouth hit...well, it speaks for itself.

what a cheap ass.... but its very entertaining to watch the hits....

My mistake, Stevens was worthless, he probably couldn't even have played at UND.

Not an argument that is worthwhile with some on this board.

btw- I agree with you Eskimos. I liked Scott Stevens

I was not a Scott Stevens fan but I never considered any of his checks to be illegal or cheap. Others like Phaneuf have taken over where he left off so if you cut across ice at the blueline with your head down you had better be ready for impact. For those who do like it there is always croquet ;)

I was not a Scott Stevens fan but I never considered any of his checks to be illegal or cheap. Others like Phaneuf have taken over where he left off so if you cut across ice at the blueline with your head down you had better be ready for impact. For those who do like it there is always croquet ;)

Likewise, I find myself a Scott Stevens fan who believes that there is NO WAY a defensive defenseman can go through an entire career and not commit a single dangerous check (aka cheap shot). I'm sure some of those checks were cheap. I am also sure that most of those "cheap" checks were unintentionally so. In any case, I'd rather root for a player like Scott Stevens than a player like Scott Parker or Donald Brashear or Tie Domi. At least Stevens was of value to his team in ways other than just going out there and trying to kill someone.

If you don't think some of the hits were cheap, look at the video again. The hit on Paul Kariya was a classic cheapshot. Kariya had already gotten rid of the pick a good 2-3 seconds before and was skating up ice. The hit was not only interference, but no one expects to get blown up like that when they don't have the puck. I agree that if you have the puck and are skating with your head down, you can expect to get rocked, but that is the classic cheapshot. It is like a sucker punch. Also, look at the hit on Lindros--as is typical of many of Stevens' hits, his elbows and/or hands are always high. If he uses his shoulder, that's legal, but not your elbow. Stevens was a great player, and often made very clean, hard checks, but he also had many cheap shots as well.

If you don't think some of the hits were cheap, look at the video again. The hit on Paul Kariya was a classic cheapshot. Kariya had already gotten rid of the pick a good 2-3 seconds before and was skating up ice. The hit was not only interference, but no one expects to get blown up like that when they don't have the puck. I agree that if you have the puck and are skating with your head down, you can expect to get rocked, but that is the classic cheapshot. It is like a sucker punch. Also, look at the hit on Lindros--as is typical of many of Stevens' hits, his elbows and/or hands are always high. If he uses his shoulder, that's legal, but not your elbow. Stevens was a great player, and often made very clean, hard checks, but he also had many cheap shots as well.

The Kariya hit was a bit shaky. But pardon my ignorance but I don't think the Lindros hit was cheap. Lindros had the puck, had his head down, and entered the zone. Stevens' arm did come up but the point of impact was the side of his shoulder (like wear a patch would be on the sleeve of a short sleeve shirt). With the exception of the Kariya hit, all of those were clean IMO.

And even if you count the Kariya, Lindros, and maybe the Kozlov hit as cheap, 3 hits don't make a cheap player. Stevens' whole career made him an amazing defenseman, not a few hits here and there.

The Kariya hit was a bit shaky. But pardon my ignorance but I don't think the Lindros hit was cheap. Lindros had the puck, had his head down, and entered the zone. Stevens' arm did come up but the point of impact was the side of his shoulder (like wear a patch would be on the sleeve of a short sleeve shirt). With the exception of the Kariya hit, all of those were clean IMO.

And even if you count the Kariya, Lindros, and maybe the Kozlov hit as cheap, 3 hits don't make a cheap player. Stevens' whole career made him an amazing defenseman, not a few hits here and there.

A few cheap hits in a long successful carear makes for a great player not a cheap one.

Stevens was a headhunter. It's one thing to go after a player skating with his head down(shame on them) but it should be expressly prohibited to make hits to the head which Stevens did quite intentionally(shame on him). He would always come up high with his elbow or forearm. And as someone else pointed out he would hit a player after the puck was long gone.

Too bad karma didn't get him sooner than it did.

Guess I'll keep this question this thread...

I see this morning David Hale is still unsigned by the Devils. Can someone please remind me what kind of defense he is?

I have heard from some devils fans he is expected to be resigned and be the #4 or 5 defensemen...

any new news on Prp? i want him to play this season!!! if he does, then go coyotes!! they need some help....bet he never thought as a kid he'd ever play for the great one :-D

I keep looking on the AHL's website but they don't have any rosters up for this year yet. He isn't on the Coyotes roster, so.................

1st game

matt jones with 2 assists including one to help with the ot game winner in rookie tourney opener with phoenix. he is also the team captain for phx in this tourney. no mention of prpich in this game.

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5266

2nd game

joned with another assist and prpich shows up in the 2nd period box score with a 5 minutes for fighting!! at a boy prp :D

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5267

coyotes off til monday