SiouxSports.com Forum

2008/2009 season

4siouxnow

I hear the team has been having their individual workouts and has had their first workout as a team that they are alowed per D1 rules. Who do you think will replace Ashley and Karla in the lineup?

I'll guess a starting lineup of Kimbrough, Guinn, Seay, Youngblut and Bagaason if healthy. I doubt we'll see two posts in the starting lineup, since Ledger may be the only one who can spell Kimbrough. I wouldn't expect them to play together too often, but who knows?

Does it seem like Bergen fell out of favor with the coaching staff, or seemed to regress somewhat last season. She was much more of an impact player her freshman year than last year.

I don't know that Jossy fell out of favor, but proved that she is a great spark off the bench, there were times that her energy off the bench seem to really lift the team. There are not alot of players that can do that and it's a big plus.

If Kimbrough and Ledger get in foul trouble ( which Ledger seems to pick up fouls fast ) we have no bigs left to go to. Against our schedule of D1 teams this could prove to be a problem.

I think they have more injured/recovering players than healthy players. I've heard several players are still not back to full strength. This squad has a lot to prove this year, and the potential is there. However, I have a feeling injuries may hold them back at some point.

I think they have more injured/recovering players than healthy players. I've heard several players are still not back to full strength. This squad has a lot to prove this year, and the potential is there. However, I have a feeling injuries may hold them back at some point.

I have heard that Courtney Thingstad has suffered a knee injury! :(

If you break it down, practically half the team has had knee surgery in the last year! Bagaason, Kimbrough (twice), Guinn, Gillett (twice), Sannes (no longer on the team), Privratzky, and now Thingstad?? Maybe they need to cut back on weights or something. I think it's great that all of the girls are willing to live up here and work out in the summer - it shows a lot of dedication - but I have never heard of any other teams with this many injuries, especially knee injuries! That's not even counting Ledger's back or Lafrance's ankles.

Injuries occur all the time on teams, but does anyone find it a little bit strange at the amount of injuries on our team??

I don't think letting up on the weights is the answer...in fact I'm hoping those that are in this program continue to utilize strength and conditioning with vigor. Now that all sports that are DI, this is one program that could gain the most by continuing to improve and succeed, now with better competition- however, it also could take the greatest fall as compared to all other programs at UND. It was near the top of D2 year in and year out, the transition and D1 could just beat it into submission. I hope that doesn't happen- in fact I'm confident that we have the right people in place to do this right and succeed, (by succeed, I mean be competitive in DI, give the bigger schools a run from time to time, and routinely be considered one of the top 50 programs in the country on a year to year basis, and eventual make the tournament once we are elgible).

I guess we could have a new nickname and logo...The Fighting Knee Braces :(

The knee thing has certainly become an issue of late for us, but it really is an issue for girls and women's sports nationwide. Knee injuries occur with incredible more frequency to females than to men- why? I've heard a lot of explanations but seen very few solutions as of yet.

Female athletes are known to have a higher risk of injuring their ACL while participating in competitive sports. Unfortunately, understanding why women are more prone to ACL injury is unclear.

Several studies have been done, and what is well known is that in sports that place a significant demand on the ACL, such as basketball, soccer, cheerleading, and others, ACL injuries are up to ten times more common in women than in men.

It is no secret that men and women are built differently, have differently shaped skeletons, have unique body types, etc., but no one knows exactly what causes ACL injuries to be so much more common in women.

Some theories are:

Hormone cycles are different

Ligaments, like many other tissues, are affected by hormone levels in the body. ACL injuries are known to most commonly occur in the pre-ovulatory phase in women. Furthermore, women on oral contraceptives are thought to have a lower rate of ACL injuries than women not taking oral contraceptives.

Female athletes are known to have a higher risk of injuring their ACL while participating in competitive sports. Unfortunately, understanding why women are more prone to ACL injury is unclear.

Several studies have been done, and what is well known is that in sports that place a significant demand on the ACL, such as basketball, soccer, cheerleading, and others, ACL injuries are up to ten times more common in women than in men.

It is no secret that men and women are built differently, have differently shaped skeletons, have unique body types, etc., but no one knows exactly what causes ACL injuries to be so much more common in women.

Some theories are:

Ligaments, like many other tissues, are affected by hormone levels in the body. ACL injuries are known to most commonly occur in the pre-ovulatory phase in women. Furthermore, women on oral contraceptives are thought to have a lower rate of ACL injuries than women not taking oral contraceptives.

The ACL is shaped differently

Women have a slightly smaller ACL, on average, and the place where the ACL passes through the knee joint, the intercondylar notch, is slightly smaller. These anatomic differences may account for a greater susceptibility to ACL injury.

Women play sports in a more upright position

Men are thought to assume more of a crouching posture while playing sports such as soccer or basketball. The ACL is usually injured when the athlete is in more of an upright position. Also, women who participate in so-called neuromuscular training programs that teach balance exercises have a similar rate of ACL injury as men who did not participate in the training.

These are some of the theories, but unfortunately, no one knows exactly what causes the increased risk of ACL tears in women. More investigation is constantly taking place to better answer this question.

What is known is that women are more prone to ACL injury, and that neuromuscular training programs can lower the risk of ACL injury in female athletes.

Some theories are:

Some theories are:

Women have a slightly smaller ACL, on average, and the place where the ACL passes through the knee joint, the intercondylar notch, is slightly smaller. These anatomic differences may account for a greater susceptibility to ACL injury.

Men are thought to assume more of a crouching posture while playing sports such as soccer or basketball. The ACL is usually injured when the athlete is in more of an upright position. Also, women who participate in so-called neuromuscular training programs that teach balance exercises have a similar rate of ACL injury as men who did not participate in the training.

These are some of the theories, but unfortunately, no one knows exactly what causes the increased risk of ACL tears in women. More investigation is constantly taking place to better answer this question.

What is known is that women are more prone to ACL injury, and that neuromuscular training programs can lower the risk of ACL injury in female athletes.

I'm not so sure they are all ACL injuries...although your terminology is impressive.....sometimes when an athlete senses a problem, they are not listened to depending on what's at stake...I hope the staff is above that and this is just a bad coincedence.

The knee thing has certainly become an issue of late for us, but it really is an issue for girls and women's sports nationwide. Knee injuries occur with incredible more frequency to females than to men- why?

Some theories are:

Some theories are:

:( Did that answer your question?:(

I'm already aware that females have more ACL tears than males; my concern is why does half our team have serious knee injuries that require surgery? I can honestly say I have never heard of a team with more than one or two serious knee injuries in a season, and we combined for 7 surgeries (excluding the new freshmen Privratsky and Thingstad's injuries.)

Maybe it is just bad luck, but that just might be an ignorant response to a serious question concerning the girls' health. I just hope this is being assessed, because this team can't afford to lose anymore of the girls to injuries.

I'm already aware that females have more ACL tears than males; my concern is why does half our team have serious knee injuries that require surgery? I can honestly say I have never heard of a team with more than one or two serious knee injuries in a season, and we combined for 7 surgeries (excluding the new freshmen Privratsky and Thingstad's injuries.)

Maybe it is just bad luck, but that just might be an ignorant response to a serious question concerning the girls' health. I just hope this is being assessed, because this team can't afford to lose anymore of the girls to injuries.

I too am very concerned. I also don

Exhibition game is less than a month away- November 4th- (Why on election day, I have no idea). I anticipate were going to see alot more of the good ole Sioux offense this year with 4 out on the perimeter and 1 in the paint, just because we may not have the depth of personel to handle 2 posts picking up fouls while on the floor at the same time. On the Perimeter players- theres alot little battles for playing time I suspect, but I just hope at least a few will grab the opportunity and become game in and game out consistent go to performers. Any thoughts...

If Bagaason is healthy I suspect she would replace Beck at the 3 spot. Bergan should be point guard, with Guinn at the 4 spot and Alys at the 2. I think there are several players capable of getting the job done, but I think that is a solid line-up with good experience. Youngblut is good, but I don't think she's ready to start. She might benefit us more coming off the bench as a spark. All the other guards have at least 2 years of game experience under their belt and I think that will be vital to the line-up.