SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Cal Poly

chicofelipe

Great West Weekly Release

That would be very disappointing if Cal Poly rounded out their schedule with a DII team when they have a conference member who is more than likely willing to play sitting right here.

The only way that could be justified is that if they have to play a non-counter, they want to make certain it's a non-counter they are definitely going to beat.

A DIVISION II TEAM?:lol:??

WHAT THE HECK?

PLAY UND!

From a somewhat selfish standpoint, I agree. But from Cal Poly's standpoint, I can kind of understand. If they were to lose to a non-counter, any chance of them making the playoffs would be pretty much out the window (see Northern Iowa in 2006 as an example). It's the ridiculous NCAA policy of counting all transitional FCS programs the same in the first year--whether they're at 0 or 63 scholarships--which is to blame here. As if the four-year period of playoff ineligibility isn't enough of a penalty, they evidently felt they had to make it next to impossible to schedule in the first year of the transition. Exactly what that's intended to accomplish, I don't know. :lol:

From a somewhat selfish standpoint, I agree. But from Cal Poly's standpoint, I can kind of understand. If they were to lose to a non-counter, any chance of them making the playoffs would be pretty much out the window (see Northern Iowa in 2006 as an example). It's the ridiculous NCAA policy of counting all transitional FCS programs the same in the first year--whether they're at 0 or 63 scholarships--which is to blame here. As if the four-year period of playoff ineligibility isn't enough of a penalty, they evidently felt they had to make it next to impossible to schedule in the first year of the transition. Exactly what that's intended to accomplish, I don't know. :lol:

I know, I agree too. I have heard how great Poly is, why would they be scared of little 'ol UND?:lol:? ???

I doubt they are - They had you scheduled at one time but the commissioner canceled it.

Not that it really matters, but it would be interesting to know whether Grom is still forbidding a Poly-UND matchup or whether Poly's AD had a change of mind and has decided against UND.

Cal Poly will not schedule a DII game. It does them no good win or lose. I can see Cal Poly going to the NCAA and showing them that they have tried to schedule a counter (DI) game to fill in the hole left by hurricane IKE and they can find no takers. They can show that UND is a top 40 FCS team and ask for an exemption from their non-counter status. The NCAA is usually not very flexable, but who knows. I would like to see a game with UND.

• 2 weeks later...
Reading this sounds as if Cal Poly would play UND...I wonder why a deal couldn't be worked out? Anyone have any insight as to why they couldn't broker a deal?

[speculation]

1) Cal Poly didn't want to travel to Grand Forks...this year or next year.

2) Cal Poly didn't want to help cover travel expenses which would have likely been higher given the short notice to book a flight/charter.

[/speculation]

[speculation]

1) Cal Poly didn't want to travel to Grand Forks...this year or next year.

2) Cal Poly didn't want to help cover travel expenses which would have likely been higher given the short notice to book a flight/charter.

[/speculation]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Had this been a non-conference opponent and UND would have been in a position to demand a return trip, I suspect the game may have happened. But with Cal Poly, the future games are already scheduled by the Great West. I'm generally not in favor of travelling to play an opponent two years in a row, unless it's an FBS team and a big guarantee is involved.

I'd like to see the schools schedule a tentative game for December if Cal Poly doesn't make the playoffs, especially if both teams were 3-0 in the conference. Call it the conference title game. Poly could host it, so it would be a nice getaway for North Dakota fans just before the holidays. Such a game would be nice as it would determine an outright champion (again provided that both teams were 3-0 going in), but it would also allow both teams to continue practicing, much like bowl games do at the FBS level. That would be huge, especially for UND. I believe UC-Davis and San Diego had such a tentative game scheduled a year or two ago, and it came to pass when an undefeated San Diego was not selected for the playoffs. Just a little out-of-the-box thinking.