SiouxSports.com Forum

ncaa rules

siouxweet

I see the ncaa has instituted a 2 ref 2 linesman system for all levels of college hockey for the purpose of allowing players to use their speed and to protect the puck handler. any bets as to if the wcha will only recieve the part of this memo that says 2 refs and 2 linesman and the other half will get lost?

I see the ncaa has instituted a 2 ref 2 linesman system for all levels of college hockey for the purpose of allowing players to use their speed and to protect the puck handler. any bets as to if the wcha will only recieve the part of this memo that says 2 refs and 2 linesman and the other half will get lost?

Yeah do you think the WCHA can run this without screwing it up? They can't find enough competent refs for one per game how are they going to have two per game? There will be no change in the obstruction the league office like the parity it has right now.

Look at the WCH blog's take.

Chris is right on.

Really? I recall very few penalties ever being called away from the puck last year. The two-man fore check has virtually been banished from the game because it's impossible to attack effectively when one forechecker is always going to get held up by the opposition. The NCAA may be patting themselves on the back, but the rest of the hockey world is starting to recognize that college hockey is falling behind in terms of calling obstruction penalties.

I think a lot of us have been saying about the same thing. The obstruction in the NCAA is a joke.

It will not change because the NCAA has a rule on PAPER saying this. The two morons that run

the WCHA don't seem to think there is a problem with their league officials.

Yeah do you think the WCHA can run this without screwing it up?

What do you think is going to happen when you double the incompetence on the ice? More minor penalties; more phantom calls; more diving; more games decided by special teams.

The Butmannization of North American Hockey continues.

Next up: penalties for shooting the puck too hard and for glaring at opposing players.

they can't find two good refs per game how can they get 4 :)

Actually they won't have to find 4 good refs. In all technicality this reduces the numbers of refs on the ice. Now instead of 1 ref and 2 asst. refs.....you've changed to 2 refs and 2 linesman. With this change instead of 3 guys being able to call the game now you're down to 2. AR's could call penalties and also were doing lines and icing. Now you look at and you have 2 with the ability to call the game and two that for the most part get to sit back and watch the game, making offsides and icing calls. Jon Campion, Todd Anderson, Derek and Brad Shepherd, Bill Mason, Marco Hunt, CJ Beaurline, Brian Thul, etc. are all good officials. Does that mean that they don't have some games that there officiating isn't questionable? NO. They have all reffed great games and some not so great games. AR's are there to help you, not make the calls for you. With two guys being refs on the ice you have two views to make the call. I think this will help call-making in the WCHA because instead of one ref hustling around the rink trying to see and call everything now you have two refs. This change will not only help refs in making penalty calls, but it will help making goal calls on odd-man rushes. All around I think the 2 Ref, 2 linesman change will help the WCHA.

Jon Campion, Todd Anderson, Derek and Brad Shepherd, Bill Mason, Marco Hunt, CJ Beaurline, Brian Thul, etc. are all good officials.

I can think of TWO officials that I think are any good. The rest are god awful.

I know how most of us love INCH but this is a pretty good example about the type of offical Shephurd is.

Notice he didn't get the call in the Frozen Four, however, his father was able to still screw up the championship game.

yeah, that was because Anderson was the on-ice official there. and he would have found a way to screw up the game anyway. The WCHA does have some refs who aren't bad, but we also have Schimdt and Adam who more than cancel out to the good refs.

yeah, that was because Anderson was the on-ice official there. and he would have found a way to screw up the game anyway. The WCHA does have some refs who aren't bad, but we also have Schimdt and Adam who more than cancel out to the good refs.

Shep was the video review official.

Shep was the video review official.

Sorry i didn't write that clearly did i? what i meant was Poppa Shep was the video ref and Anderson was the on-ice ref, so Derek couldn't have screwed up the game....unless I have the wrong Shep as the video ref. Sorry, I didn't explain that clearly....my bad!

Sorry i didn't write that clearly did i? what i meant was Poppa Shep was the video ref and Anderson was the on-ice ref, so Derek couldn't have screwed up the game....unless I have the wrong Shep as the video ref. Sorry, I didn't explain that clearly....my bad!

My post might not have been that clear. Sorry :)

GREG (PAPA Shep) Shepherd was the Video Replay Official that made the ruling. Derek and Brad are the sons that ref. Todd Anderson was the On-Ice Official who made the initial call and then was over-ruled by Greg. Tim Swiader and Butch Mousseaux were the AR's for that game. Also Greg Shepherd is the WCHA Head of Officiating.

GREG (PAPA Shep) Shepherd was the Video Replay Official that made the ruling. Derek and Brad are the sons that ref. Todd Anderson was the On-Ice Official who made the initial call and then was over-ruled by Greg. Tim Swiader and Butch Mousseaux were the AR's for that game. Also Greg Shepherd is the WCHA Head of Officiating.

sweetie, most people who know the WCHA know that, what Goon and I were talking about is who were the refs that came. I was at the game, I know who the on-ice official was. My friends and I made the Pepsi Center officials laugh when we started the We want Sheperd cheer/

sweetie, most people who know the WCHA know that, what Goon and I were talking about is who were the refs that Game. I was at the game, I know who the on-ice official was. My friends and I made the Pepsi Center officials laugh when we started the We want Sheperd cheer/

Yep you're are right and I hope I didn't come off as picking on you. :)

sweetie, most people who know the WCHA know that, what Goon and I were talking about is who were the refs that came. I was at the game, I know who the on-ice official was. My friends and I made the Pepsi Center officials laugh when we started the We want Sheperd cheer/

I know most people know that but it looked to me as if there was some confusion as to which Shepherd was doing what. Thats all I was clarifying.

USHL Fans - can you compare the quality of officials in the USHL v WCHA? I know they are probably younger but sometimes younger is better.

i think the main difference is most ushl refs are very young and some are using the league as a stepping stone to move up. they may make some inexperience mistakes, but are continually working to get better to move on to the next level. the wcha refs are older and not going anywhere. we don't have the refs who are working towards the ahl or nhl (at least not most, possibly some of the younger guys have those aspirations?). the problem is that where as the younger guys are in "training" and know their performance affects their future, the guys who are comfortable and have no ideas of moving on don't have that added incentive to do better. especially when the head of officials constantly ignores gross incompetence as long as you are part of the shepard and mcleod club.

i think the main difference is most ushl refs are very young and some are using the league as a stepping stone to move up. they may make some inexperience mistakes, but are continually working to get better to move on to the next level. the wcha refs are older and not going anywhere. we don't have the refs who are working towards the ahl or nhl (at least not most, possibly some of the younger guys have those aspirations?). the problem is that where as the younger guys are in "training" and know their performance affects their future, the guys who are comfortable and have no ideas of moving on don't have that added incentive to do better. especially when the head of officials constantly ignores gross incompetence as long as you are part of the shepard and mcleod club.

That is because the WCHA is built on nepotism. Like I have said before they need to drain the swamp and start over as far as the leadership goes in the WCHA.

Did you know that two USHL refs did something last season that no WCHA official did last season. Do you know what it was?

Yup, two USHL officials made their NHL officiating debuts.

When's the last time a WCHA official left the WCHA for the NHL officiating ranks?

Honestly... I don't know if one has ever done so.