SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

One coach has coached 4 season while the other has coached 14 years. I am not sure one can make the comparison until Hak has coached a little longer.

4 frozen fours in first four years is a hell of a acomplishment, no doubt...........but with 0 national titles. i would take 1 frozen 4 trip with 1 title in the last 4 years instead of 0 for 4 but thats besides the point. i think hak is a hell of a coach and his body of work speaks for itself. there are only a few programs who base a overall seasons success on national titles and the sioux are one in that handful. hak is a great coach and im sure he more than anyone on this board or anywhere is more dissapointed for not getting 1 title in the 4 trips. trust me. he played for the sioux and realizes why they play every season. i believe woog did the same thing so thats a fair comparison to this point but like you said, hold off on the career body of work comparison to wooger. i think the thing that stings the most is BC and getting busted out of the 1st round of the last 3 frozen 4's by those guys. it highlights it even more.

oh well, time to get that title. hak might as well just get it this season :lol:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of attempts at comparison of 4 years of Hak vs 14 of Woog, I can't see Hak ever running a team with a country club atmosphere with players playing for their name on the back, rather than the logo on the front of their jerseys, plus playing entire season's like they were in a meaningless third place game (Woog's last few years).

In spite of attempts at comparison of 4 years of Hak vs 14 of Woog, I can't see Hak ever running a team with a country club atmosphere with players playing for their name on the back, rather than the logo on the front of their jerseys, plus playing entire season's like they were in a meaningless third place game (Woog's last few years).

:lol: What makes you possibly think Sioux players have more pride for their program than the Gophers do for theirs? If there's one thing we can agree on it's that both programs have amazing history which the players are well aware of and they think about it every time they step onto the ice. And you think Gopher fans are arrogant? It's just a dumb argument. It reminds me of Republicans and Democrats arguing over who's more patriotic.

:lol: What makes you possibly think Sioux players have more pride for their program than the Gophers do for theirs? If there's one thing we can agree on it's that both programs have amazing history which the players are well aware of and they think about it every time they step onto the ice. And you think Gopher fans are arrogant? It's just a dumb argument. It reminds me of Republicans and Democrats arguing over who's more patriotic.

That's my reason (which I picked up from gopher fan posts) for why the gophers played the way they did the last several years under Woog. Make up your own reason, but no matter what the reason they played like they didn't care, week after week.

That's my reason (which I picked up from gopher fan posts) for why the gophers played the way they did the last several years under Woog. Make up your own reason, but no matter what the reason they played like they didn't care, week after week.

Well then the same could be said of Gaspirini's last few teams.

Woog was absolutely savaged by UND fans over the years because, although he made the FF more than 40% of the time, and he had a great winning record against UND, he could not win the big one. He recruited and coached multiple Hobey winners, and All-Americans, but over and over, UND fans dismissed him as a failure. UND fans did this, based, more or less, solely on the fact that his contemporary at UND, although he didn't win against the Gophers, and he did not have the number of Hobey's, etc, did in fact win some Championships.

All I can say is, if UND continues with it's Championship drought, all those harsh things said against Woog will also be true against Hak, and other team's fans, like me, will take a great amount of pleasure in pointing this out, probably not here, but on other forums. If in fact, god forbid, MN ever catches up in the number of NCAA Championships, the mocking of UND fans on some forums would become Biblical. Of course, Hak could go on and have a 3 peat, and shut me up, but until he does, he is a Woog without the charm.

Hak won't be a Woog untill he has a couple seasons like this:

1997-1998 17-22-0 .436

1998-1999 15-19-9 .453

Woog didn't get fired for his first 4 years, though.

No kidding and he coached for 14 years, if hak goes 14 years without winning a title then I would be concerned. One could make the argument that it took York quite a few tries before he won a NCAA title.

No kidding and he coached for 14 years, if hak goes 14 years without winning a title then I would be concerned. One could make the argument that it took York quite a few tries before he won a NCAA title.

Agreed, but UND and our fan base are not nearly as patient as BC has been. If you're the head coach of ND, WI, DU, CC or MN, 14 years is a long time to coach without winning any hardware. Hak is nearly a third of the way through that timeline without hanging a banner. Hopefully he can get the monkey off his back in 09.

OT: I stopped by The Ralph today and saw that they are remodeling the Sioux Shop. It looks really nice thus far. There is a large circular cherry wood kiosk in the middle with plasma televisions mounted to it. New carpeting was being laid today.

I can't wait for the season to start! Only 26 days to go!

OT: I stopped by The Ralph today and saw that they are remodeling the Sioux Shop. It looks really nice thus far. There is a large circular cherry wood kiosk in the middle with plasma televisions mounted to it. New carpeting was being laid today.

I am soooooo happy that The Ralph continues to improve my shopping experience...

Agreed, but UND and our fan base are not nearly as patient as BC has been. If you're the head coach of ND, WI, DU, CC or MN, 14 years is a long time to coach without winning any hardware. Hak is nearly a third of the way through that timeline without hanging a banner. Hopefully he can get the monkey off his back in 09.

"...UND and our fan base are not nearly as patient as BC has been..."

Who is the last coach we have run off for not winning the big one?

Rube? That was 30 years ago.

We haven't had a BC/York "problem" since. (Gino moved on after some Woog-like losing seasons).

I predict Hak won't be here 14 years - he will move on/up before then - on his terms and not due to the "impatient fan base."

"...UND and our fan base are not nearly as patient as BC has been..."

Who is the last coach we have run off for not winning the big one?

Rube? That was 30 years ago.

We haven't had a BC/York "problem" since. (Gino moved on after some Woog-like losing seasons).

I predict Hak won't be here 14 years - he will move on/up before then - on his terms and not due to the "impatient fan base."

I can't imagine Hak being run off from UND. I mean we must be realistic here.

BC's program also wasn't filled with a history of National Championships when York came in. They had won one title I believe, which was quite some time before York's arrival, while Hak is following a coach who was able to bring home two titles in under 10 years. I don't think Hak is going anywhere anytime soon, but for each year he doesn't bring home a national title, he'll be looked at closer under the microscope, especially by the fan base.

BC's program also wasn't filled with a history of National Championships when York came in. They had won one title I believe, which was quite some time before York's arrival, while Hak is following a coach who was able to bring home two titles in under 10 years. I don't think Hak is going anywhere anytime soon, but for each year he doesn't bring home a national title, he'll be looked at closer under the microscope, especially by the fan base.

Boston college won its first NCAA championship in 1949, then did not win another championship unitl 2001.

York's BC teams have eight Frozen Four appearances in eleven years from 1998 to 2008. During that span, BC has played in the National Championship Game six times. BC lost four national title game to Michigan in 1999, to North Dakota in 2000, to Wisconsin in 2006, and to Michigan State in 2007. Since 1998 York's BC teams rank 1st in the NCAA with a post-season winning percentage of 79.2% (57-15).

York is 2-6 in the final game of the Frozen Four.

roster is up, looks like the new bios and pics are still to come and i put my drafted current sioux below

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.d...amp;SPSID=58685

observations - 5 players from shattuck (duncan,miller,blood,toews,genoway) - 13 canadiens (3 from winnipeg) - 4 defensemen at (6'3, 6'3, 6'4, 6'7) - 9 players who came from the USHL - 8 players from the BCHL - a player from california (hextall), a player from georgia (miller) a player from wisconsin (lapoint) a player from illinois (jones) - 4 players from the state of minnesota (finley, fienhage(actually born in topeka, kansas), blood, vandevelde) - 2 players from grand forks (marto,lamoureux) - 13 current players drafted

2 Finley, Joe D 6-7 245 Sr. Edina, Minn. (Sioux Falls-USHL)

3 LaPoint, Derrick D 6-3 187 So. Eau Claire, Wis. (Green Bay-USHL)

4 Fienhage, Corey D 6-3 214 Fr. Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview High School)

5 Genoway, Chay D 5-9 172 Jr. Morden, Manitoba (Vernon-BCHL)

6 Jones, Zach D 5-11 200 Sr. Lisle, Ill. (U.S. National Under-18)

8 Martens, Ryan F 6-0 207 Sr. Selkirk, Manitoba (Quesnel-BCHL)

9 Lamoureux, Mario F 5-9 185 Fr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Tri-City-USHL)

10 Kozek, Andrew F 5-11 200 Sr. Sicamous, British Columbia (Surrey-BCHL)

11 Zajac, Darcy F 6-1 195 Jr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Salmon Arm-BCHL)

14 Miller, Brad F 5-10 174 Sr. Alpharetta, Ga. (Green Bay-USHL)

15 Davidson, Brent F 6-4 212 So. Morden, Manitoba (Neepawa-MJHL)

16 Duncan, Ryan F 5-6 165 Sr. Calgary, Alberta (Salmon Arm-BCHL)

17 Gregoire, Jason F 5-11 185 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Lincoln-USHL)

18 Toews, David F 5-11 185 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Shattuck-St. Mary's)

19 Trupp, Evan F 5-9 170 So. Anchorage, Alaska (Penticton-BCHL)

20 Watkins, Matt F 5-10 187 Sr. Aylesbury, Saskatchewan (Vernon-BCHL)

21 Frattin, Matt F 6-0 200 So. Edmonton, Alberta (Fort Saskatchewan-AJHL)

22 Malone, Brad F 6-2 205 So. Miramichi, New Brunswick (Sioux Falls-USHL)

24 Blood, Ben D 6-4 212 Fr. Plymouth, Minn. (Indiana-USHL)

25 Marto, Jake D 5-11 170 So. Grand Forks, N.D. (Omaha-USHL)

26 Hextall, Brett F 5-11 188 Fr. Manhattan Beach, Calif. (Penticton-BCHL)

29 VandeVelde, Chris F 6-2 206 Jr. Moorhead, Minn. (Lincoln-USHL)

30 Walski, Aaron G 5-11 176 Sr. Fargo, N.D. (Bismarck-NAHL)

31 Eidsness, Brad G 6-0 173 Fr. Chestermere, Alberta (Okotoks-AJHL)

35 Harrington, Graeme G 5-11 186 Fr. Glenside, Saskatchewan (Dryden-SJHL)

2005 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

JOE FINLEY (D) - 1ST RD (#27) WASHINGTON CAPITALS

ANDREW KOZEK (F) - 2ND RD (#53) ATLANTA THRASHERS

CHRIS VANDE VELDE (F) - 4TH RD (#97) EDMONTON OILERS

MATT WATKINS (F) - 5TH RD (#160) DALLAS STARS

2006 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DERRICK LAPOINT (D) - 4TH RD (#116) FLORIDA PANTHERS

2007 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

JASON GREGOIRE (F) - 3RD RD (#76) NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 08'

MATT FRATTIN (F) - 4TH RD (#99) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

BRAD MALONE (F) - 4TH RD (#105) COLORADO AVALANCHE

BEN BLOOD (D) - 4TH RD (#120) OTTAWA SENATORS - 08'