SiouxSports.com Forum

Who gets FSSN?

SiouxFan_InBeaverLand

Hey all, I'm moving to fargo in a week...and i need to choose a cable and internet provider...who can i go with and still get FSSN? whats everyone else got that lives in fargo...i can't go too crazy either...still pinching pennies...thanks for any help!

In Fargo you get no choice: CableOne.

In West Fargo you can get either Midcontinent or CableOne. (I'd go Midco.)

I have a hard time believing that studios just give away their content to anyone with a private dish receiver.

Maybe you can receive it, but the signal will be encrypted.

Speak before you know anything. Yes, there are certainly encrypted channels on the birds in the Clarke belt. Stations from directv and dishnetwork come to mind, But there are also many FTA feeds; check out http://www.lyngsat.com.

Yes, Goon, even fixed system owners, who just want FSSN, have had to move and repoint their dish, as the FSSN has changed satellites a couple times since the first broadcast. Blind scan capability was also important this season as, for some reason, the FSSN changed transponders beginning with the games at Duluth that were televised by FSSN.

I also have a dishnetwork system, but don't get local FOX and CBS feeds (not available). I get FOX FTA from my motorized system, from Marquette, Mich, Great Falls, MT, and Beaumont, TX. Two ABC channels can be scanned in from Wyoming. And Montana Grizzly football is also uplinked to a satellite. Also many Miami hockey games were on the Ohio News Network, some EZAC games on another sat, and several other good news networks, and, ESPN News has been in the clear for some time. Many other things to find with a motorized system, that are not scrambled. The traxis receiver is not capable of being modified to steal scrambled signals, as true FTA'ers do not do that.

One more item, FTA channels are first generation, not compressed like so many digital channels you get from the satellite and cable companies. I've watched the same NFL games side by side on FOX FTA and FOX via mydistantnetworks through my dishnetwork system, and the quality difference blows you away. The first generation feed is much closer to HD in quality, and you soon find the highly compressed feeds almost unwatchable, even though they may also be standard digital signals. The difference between FSSN via cable, which I had before switching to my own KU band system, and FSSN on the new system, is striking. Way, way better. And when you have a large screen HDTV, the quality of non-HD signals becomes much more important.

Are they hard to install? what is the process?

1. Find a way to get a cable from where you will mount the dish inside the house to your tv.

2. Dish comes with mounts, choose where, you'll need a clear view of the southern sky. Rooftop, wall, or pole in the ground all work.

3. Point your dish; if motorized, point at your true south satellite, then motor to others using usals in the traxis receiver menu. If fixed, find a sat and blind scan it to see which one you are pointed at; adjust to the one you want to point at (FSSN). Once you are scanning in channels, fine tune the pointing to get the most quality signal you can get.

4. Before starting anything, read a bunch in the forum below, and ask any questions you may have; you'll get a lot of help there also with installation, if you run into any problems.

Has anyone heard if FSSN's hockey contract will be renewed for this upcoming season? I heard Sweeny talk about it on their last game. I'm planning on getting a FTA system from Pete, but with my luck, they would change over to the WCHA network or something like that.

is the WCHA channel a for sure thing now?

is the WCHA channel a for sure thing now?

Not yet.

And it would be hard to believe that FSSN would be done if there were a WCHA network. The network would certainly not show all home Sioux games as FSSN does now. But, WDAZ, or another station, has to pick up the telecast.

Not yet.

And it would be hard to believe that FSSN would be done if there were a WCHA network. The network would certainly not show all home Sioux games as FSSN does now. But, WDAZ, or another station, has to pick up the telecast.

Yeah I can't believe that they would have less Fighting Sioux hockey onn TV because of the WCHA networks as I read it, it would be an opportunity for more hockey, espeically in the teams that have poor TV exposure, but also this would be extra coverage on top of the TV that is already prevalent in the WCHA.

Yeah I can't believe that they would have less Fighting Sioux hockey onn TV because of the WCHA networks as I read it, it would be an opportunity for more hockey, espeically in the teams that have poor TV exposure, but also this would be extra coverage on top of the TV that is already prevalent in the WCHA.

Would be great if both WCHA and FSSN uplinked to FTA satellite, but I'd imagine the WCHA will be trying to sell the channel, if it materializes, to cableco's, and satellite networks.

Would be great if both WCHA and FSSN uplinked to FTA satellite, but I'd imagine the WCHA will be trying to sell the channel, if it materializes, to cableco's, and satellite networks.

I am betting it will be like the BTN network where you can't get it unless you have direct TV or it happens to be on your cable.

I can't see Midco stepping up when they don't even carry ESPNU yet.

According to Sweeney at WDAZ, nothing concrete yet but WDAZ is working on a new agreement to broadcast Sioux sports on FSSN. Is there any other local network in GF that broadcasts (or has in the past), Sioux sports?

• 4 weeks later...
Would be great to have games back on WDAZ, but not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

ABC will not allow the station to pre-empt their schedule programing on a regular basis, I remember them saying that a few years back.