SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

There was a great turnout for the games today! Well, at least the first one! The guys lost both of the games, 10-4 and 7-5, although they almost tied it up at the very end. The weather would have been so nice if it wouldn't have been so darn windy, because then it was just cold!

The boys go 1-2 at the NCC tournament and finsih 14-23 on the year. What do you think the future has in store for baseball? What direction do you think that the new AD will go with the coaching search? What kind of a chance does Coach Pint have at getting the job?

The boys go 1-2 at the NCC tournament and finsih 14-23 on the year. What do you think the future has in store for baseball? What direction do you think that the new AD will go with the coaching search? What kind of a chance does Coach Pint have at getting the job?

If I were A.D. I'd cut the sport, and divert the resources to women's programs like volleyball, soccer, and tennis. I love baseball, but there's no chance for sustained success in college baseball in this region.

I'll bet Sicatoka can tell us right off the top of his head how many games we lost due to weather this season.

I'll bet Sicatoka can tell us right off the top of his head how many games we lost due to weather this season.

Nine (but I cheated).

If I were A.D. I'd cut the sport, and divert the resources to women's programs like volleyball, soccer, and tennis. I love baseball, but there's no chance for sustained success in college baseball in this region.

I'd move those baseball resources to a mens sport that we have suitable facilities for already, have decent chances to be nationally competitive, and that could draw more people to games (gate revenues).

Yeah, it doesn't make me popular with the baseball crowd, but until global warming really kicks in or UND gets a baseball dome, climate is an issue.

I'm going to have to agree with those that think our baseball team doesn't have a very good chance, especially in northern North Dakota. The boys are not very good, although the games are fun to go to when there aren't tornadic (is that even a word?) winds and it's above 45 degrees... which doesn't happen very often!

NDSU's baseball team was horrible before and after their transition too, although they have the Redhawks stadium for their games. I know a guy that quit because he didn't want to play for them anymore.

I think UND and NDSU would both be better off without the baseball programs. Weather is a huge consideration, as is getting people to the games. Especially with the way the teams are looking.

If we do keep it, we're going to need to find some coaches who can do some awesome recruiting.

In NDSU's case, the issue is mainly money. The priority list goes something like: FB, MBB, WBB, VB, Soc, WR, SB, T&F, BB, Golf. While the NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball, NDSU has only been funding about 4. Recruiting, equipment and traveling budgets have also been extremely low during the transition. There is some light at the end of the tunnel, however. Now that NDSU is approching its nominal DI budget of around $11-13 million, baseball is starting to see some increases. Next season, they will get around 7 scholarships with hopefully more to come. As that number closes in on the 11.7 max, and as other budget items improve, NDSU should start fielding some very competitive teams. The planned additions to the BSA which include indoor pitching and batting areas should also help greatly.

I write this because UND faces the identical situation. Baseball will also be a very low priority during your transition and will most likely struggle. Beyond that, baseball and softball elements will probably also be added to your proposed indoor practice facility. I guess I'm trying to say you shouldn't give up on your baseball team. It won't consume many resources during your transition and, depending on how your conference search goes, it may be better to keep the program for now rather than stopping it and being faced with the decision to restart it later.

Nine (but I cheated).

I'd move those baseball resources to a mens sport that we have suitable facilities for already, have decent chances to be nationally competitive, and that could draw more people to games (gate revenues).

Yeah, it doesn't make me popular with the baseball crowd, but until global warming really kicks in or UND gets a baseball dome, climate is an issue.

Lacrosse at the Alerus in April makes a whole lot more sense than Sioux Baseball at Apollo in April. Hopefully, Mr. Faison reads this board on a regular basis. :D

Edited by GeauxSioux

I write this because UND faces the identical situation. Baseball will also be a very low priority during your transition and will most likely struggle. Beyond that, baseball and softball elements will probably also be added to your proposed indoor practice facility. I guess I'm trying to say you shouldn't give up on your baseball team. It won't consume many resources during your transition and, depending on how your conference search goes, it may be better to keep the program for now rather than stopping it and being faced with the decision to restart it later.

Personally, I don't think UND's situation is identical to NDSU's. NDSU has an great on-campus stadium making it nearly ludicrous not to field a team. UND reallly needs something on-campus to be comparable. Furthermore, I can't believe other Summit teams (particularly Oakland) were exactly thrilled when the four-game series was cancelled after a late April blizzard. If UND was added to the Summit, teams would be forced to come to the Dakotas twice every other year, instead of just once / yr now (with either NDSU or SDSU). In addition, NDSU had a record single game baseball attendance when Minnesota came to Fargo: 1079. If that game can't attract more than 2000, what would?

A couple of Summit teams don't have baseball (IUPUI and UMKC) and it wouldn't have any problems getting preferred associate baseball members (N Colorado or UTPA). The Big Sky has no baseball.

Softball for UND is another story, as that is a Title IX issue.

In NDSU's case, the issue is mainly money. The priority list goes something like: FB, MBB, WBB, VB, Soc, WR, SB, T&F, BB, Golf. While the NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball, NDSU has only been funding about 4. Recruiting, equipment and traveling budgets have also been extremely low during the transition. There is some light at the end of the tunnel, however. Now that NDSU is approching its nominal DI budget of around $11-13 million, baseball is starting to see some increases. Next season, they will get around 7 scholarships with hopefully more to come. As that number closes in on the 11.7 max, and as other budget items improve, NDSU should start fielding some very competitive teams. The planned additions to the BSA which include indoor pitching and batting areas should also help greatly.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe baseball at UND has 1 scholarship.