SiouxSports.com Forum

Nothing on Guentzel Firing?

hermit

He resigned for personal reasons. He was a great assistant coach here for 14 years and I assume he knew that Lucia wasn't leaving any time soon. I'd love to see him as the next HC of the Gophers but that's a long ways off at this point.

That would not make sense for him or the school. I would think he ends up in a job that may not be open right now.....

Agreed, that would be a big step down for him it would seem me. Johny Pohl said on KFAN Saturday morning that this is "catastrophic" to the program. :silly: Not really sure what is going on, supposedly he was scouting over the weekend so I would think he has something in the works.

Agreed, that would be a big step down for him it would seem me. Johny Pohl said on KFAN Saturday morning that this is "catastrophic" to the program. :silly: Not really sure what is going on, supposedly he was scouting over the weekend so I would think he has something in the works.

Why would that be a 'step down ' for him? Don't anyone take this as a slam but

In the article he said he didn't know what he would be doing and included coaching Bantam as an option. The interview left me with the impression that he wants to do something that will place his family first and the job second on his list of priorities.

Why would that be a 'step down ' for him? Don't anyone take this as a slam but

In the article he said he didn't know what he would be doing and included coaching Bantam as an option. The interview left me with the impression that he wants to do something that will place his family first and the job second on his list of priorities.

Although he wants to do something with his family and have his job be second on his list of priorities, no matter how you look at it, professionally it would be a step down. Besides being a D1 head coach or moving back for a head coaching job in the USHL, being a top assistant on a premier D1 hockey team is a pretty high up job for the college ranks, obviously only being beaten by being a head coach. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is still next in line for the Gophers just but was sick of waiting around and wanted to pursue other opportunities in the meantime.

I have absolutely nothing concrete on which to base this post (but when has that stopped me?) but I disagree on your assessment that the St. John's job would be a step down for Guentzel.

Money-wise, I'd bet the jobs are close; the head coaching salary at Collegeville may even be a little higher. And if the dude wants to put his family first, or at least closer to first, coaching at the DIII level is certainly not going to eat up as much of his time than being a top-flight DI assistant has. I can't imagine the hours of windshield time he's had to endure over the years.

Certainly the prestige level of DIII vs. DI is a step down, but I question anything beyond that.

I have absolutely nothing concrete on which to base this post (but when has that stopped me?) but I disagree on your assessment that the St. John's job would be a step down for Guentzel.

Money-wise, I'd bet the jobs are close; the head coaching salary at Collegeville may even be a little higher. And if the dude wants to put his family first, or at least closer to first, coaching at the DIII level is certainly not going to eat up as much of his time than being a top-flight DI assistant has. I can't imagine the hours of windshield time he's had to endure over the years.

Certainly the prestige level of DIII vs. DI is a step down, but I question anything beyond that.

Not that I am in the know, but something tells me the assistant job at the U was much much higher paying then a division III job. Just think of the budgets of the two programs...

There is some alure in being the head guy. And with the U on a bit of a lull (I'm sure temporarily) he probably wasn't going to be offered a D-1 Head Coaching job anytime soon.

As for me he always rubbed me the wrong way in his interviews during the period break. I'm sure that's just me.

If Bo Pelini left LSU as the Defensive Co. to coach in Collegeville, would that be a lateral move? He wont be in St. Johns and Bo is at Nebraska. Think of it this way...Mike has had schools come after him who have filled positions in the last 5-7 years. They now know he is listening.

Not that I am in the know, but something tells me the assistant job at the U was much much higher paying then a division III job. Just think of the budgets of the two programs...

If salary was the only issue, I agree. Remember, Clem had an assistant, Dan Kozmoski, who left to become a head coach in the MIAC. While the salary was lateral or less, the head aches and the hours of work made the job at the DIII level more appealing. Could be the same for Guentzel.

Guentzel was forced out.

On a related note, he told his kid that he wasn't good enough to play D-1 hockey that he should play DIII hockey in Wisconsin instead of taking the half scholarship at Notre Dame. Classy.

Idiot post of the day.

Either way hermit how did you take that as firing? :silly:

Like the article said, "Read between the lines."

"Hearing Mike Guentzel's reasons for resigning after 14 years as assistant coach of the Gophers men's hockey team, you would believe he has simply done it long enough. However, reading between the lines, you might conclude that leaving wasn't entirely his idea.

Guentzel said he met with coach Don Lucia in the middle of the week, "and this was the decision that was made that was best for me and everybody else."

He does not say he made the decision. If he had made the decision himself he would have said that he decided it was time.

Either way hermit how did you take that as firing? :silly:

I guess you could infer that might be the case from this.

Hearing Mike Guentzel's reasons for resigning after 14 years as assistant coach of the Gophers men's hockey team, you would believe he has simply done it long enough. However, reading between the lines, you might conclude that leaving wasn't entirely his idea.

Guentzel was forced out.

On a related note, he told his kid that he wasn't good enough to play D-1 hockey that he should play DIII hockey in Wisconsin instead of taking the half scholarship at Notre Dame. Classy.

Wow , you could not be more wrong on this one. I know why he left and he could have stayed at the U as long as he wanted too, trust me.

Guentzel was forced out.

14 years as an assistant coach is a lifetime in college hockey, and Guentzel has always said he wants to be a head coach. It really is as simple as that. The meeting between Lucia and Guentzel had more to do with how long Lucia planned on staying than Guentzel staying.

As far as Ryan being at Notre Dame, he is there BECAUSE of his father, not in spite of him.