SiouxSports.com Forum

Titletown on ESPN

t_speaker31

just saw this on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/titletown/index

Maybe get Grand Forks in on it, considering we're in such a low populated area and all the championships maybe they would give us a good look. I'm not very good at wording stuff like this. If somebody wants to try and sell ESPN on GF and UND, I think we could have a decent chance at getting on this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw this on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/titletown/index

Maybe get Grand Forks in on it, considering we're in such a low populated area and all the championships maybe they would give us a good look. I'm not very good at wording stuff like this. If somebody wants to try and sell ESPN on GF and UND, I think we could have a decent chance at getting on this.

If someone wants to get together a list of all the school's championships and notable pros in any sport, plus any Olympians that have medals (Dave Christian comes to mind) I'll write one up, and post it here so everyone can have input before it's submitted.

EDIT: I found a bunch of stuff on the internet, but I can't seem to find Hobey finalists, and I forget what that commercial on midco always says. I'll post it either later today or early tomorrow so y'all can have a look-see.

Oh, here we go again...

12 football titles which includes 1 in the past forty one years! A dynasty of historic proportions indeed! :silly:

Now before I get completely flamed on this post, let me say that I'm NOT picking on the Packers because of any hatred towards the people of Wisconsin, Green Bay itself, the former girlfriend who I dumped after a trip to Door County, or St. Favre.

I'm simply pointing out that a city that has one pro sports championship in the past 40+ years should lose the right to call itself 'titletown.'

By using the same criteria, NFL championships, do you realize that the Detroit Lions sit one behind the Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49'ers, Washington Redskins, and Dallas Cowboys in terms of NFL titles (they have 4, the other teams have 5 each).

I challenge anyone, ANYONE, to say that Detroit is nearly equal to those other franchises in terms of greatness simply based on the number of NFL titles won.

Oh, here we go again...

12 football titles which includes 1 in the past forty one years! A dynasty of historic proportions indeed! :silly:

Yeah no offense Adam, but I think there are other cities that deserve the name "Titletown USA" more than Green Bay... And you know I'm a Packer fan...

This label is as old as the Green Bay tradition. This is something they earned years ago and has been forever a label of that team/city. To strip it from them just because of the drought they've had is like taking a historic label away from the Red Sox, or the Lakers or Celtics, etc...

Green Bay earned this title years ago in the legendary history of pro football. This is not something you take away just to take it away.

Oh, here we go again...

well really they have two...1968 and 1997 in the past 40 yrs. but they also garnered the name "titletown" because they won 12 league championships before it was called the superbowl (which is more than any other team in the NFL) and on top of that they won 3 superbowls. so a total of 15 championships in the history of the NFL...like them or not Green Bay will always be known as Titletown!

That's what I have so far. What all do you guys want me to add/delete/whatever?

Things to add/change

1. Central hockey state titles from 24 to 26

2. Red River boys and girls tennis championships

3. UND Swimming and Diving Championships

4. UND Football Championship (NCAA and NCC)

5. UND Basketball Championships.

Those are just a few things that I feel could be added to make the state better at more than a few things.

well really they have two...1968 and 1997 in the past 40 yrs. but they also garnered the name "titletown" because they won 12 league championships before it was called the superbowl (which is more than any other team in the NFL) and on top of that they won 3 superbowls. so a total of 15 championships in the history of the NFL...like them or not Green Bay will always be known as Titletown!

No, they've won 12 championships total. Go see for yourself.

Packer Championship History

I didn't major in math in college and I stand corrected on the number of titles in the past FORTY ONE YEARS: 2.

This label is as old as the Green Bay tradition. This is something they earned years ago and has been forever a label of that team/city. To strip it from them just because of the drought they've had is like taking a historic label away from the Red Sox, or the Lakers or Celtics, etc...

Green Bay earned this title years ago in the legendary history of pro football. This is not something you take away just to take it away.

What historic label do the Red Sox, Lakers, and Celtics possess?

So 200 years from now without an additional NFL championship, can we still refer to Green Bay as 'titletown'?

If you'll recall, Detroit and Warroad recently had a dispute over who was 'Hockeytown' first.

Things to add/change

Those are just a few things that I feel could be added to make the state better at more than a few things.

Found this info in the media guides on FightingSioux.com

Men's Basketball - 18 NCC Championships

Women's Basketball Div II NCAA 97-98-99 and 11 NCC Championships

Men's Football - 24 NCC Championships (14 outright titles and 10 shared titles)

Jim Kleinsasser Minnesota Vikings.

Some high schools churn out a half-dozen D-1 scholarship players a year and have a long list of NFL players. You're going to argue North Dakota's claim to fame on the basis of one mediocre NFL tight end fullback? :silly:

Some high schools churn out a half-dozen D-1 scholarship players a year and have a long list of NFL players. You're going to argue North Dakota's claim to fame on the basis of one mediocre NFL tight end fullback? :silly:

I just figured if we were listing Bollinger..... :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't want to argue North Dakota's claim to fame on any player that plays for the Vikings.... I'm probably going to get it for that one....Sorry, Vikings fans!

Found this info in the media guides on FightingSioux.com

Men's Basketball - 18 NCC Championships

Women's Basketball Div II NCAA 97-98-99 and 11 NCC Championships

Men's Football - 24 NCC Championships (14 outright titles and 10 shared titles)

got 'em.

Things to add/change

i got the central hockey titles, but i need to know the UND swimming and diving championships.

also, what about the RR tennis did you want changed?

also, im trying to spice up the paragraph on the ralph and need to figure out a way to describe the huge pictures of Sioux greats with their stats. im pretty tired (11.5 hours into a 12 hour shift in 100 degree heat) so if anyone can find the word im looking for id appreciate it, haha

What historic label do the Red Sox, Lakers, and Celtics possess?

So 200 years from now without an additional NFL championship, can we still refer to Green Bay as 'titletown'?

If you'll recall, Detroit and Warroad recently had a dispute over who was 'Hockeytown' first.

Didnt the Red Sox not win a title for like 75 years. o ya titletown for sure :silly: