SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Vandevelde trouble

gfhockey

There are some successful teams in hockey that are playing a run and gun style hockey.

Pittsburg comes to mind right away. I think B.C. played the type of hockey that I would like to see

come back to UND, maybe we they aren't talented enough right now but with the players coming in

maybe it will change. If a team has 2-3 lines that can go like the days of Blaiser the oppostion is going to have to

skate with you or get scored on. In looking at the recruits we have coming in it would appear teamed with the base

the Sioux has now they should be able to get up and go.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was race horse hockey that won it for us in 1987, 1997 and 2000. We played race horse hockey in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 with Parise, Bucks etc. I think that when we lost to Denver in 2003-2004 something changed (obviously Blaiser left), and a different style was brought forth. We've had success since, mostly due to personnel (Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Zajac, etc), but there was a definitive change in style. Hak probably recognized something. I mean Denver didn't run and gun back then and they won 2 in a row, Wisconsin won one playing the most nauseating hockey imagineable.

I'm with you goon. I would way rather lose like we did in the 2003-2004 Final 5 (even to those same Gophs) if the style was the style we played then True Sioux Hockey. That game, in my opinion was one of the best college hockey games ever played.

Agreed with you that was a fine game...I even made that comment to several goofer fans seated all around me at the X. It was painful to see the GWG for the goofers, but at the same time that whole game was up and down, back and forth...very entertaining to watch. Not like playing the "trap" teams these days...ick...too slow.

I would like to apolgize for causing alot of anger on this topic. I'm been called newbee, band wagon jumper, and old lady :) . When I posted, I was angry about the season ending loss. I wish i would have been more eliquite with my words. Although I don't post often, I read this site daily. I just wish the team would have gotten together quietly and reflected on the year that was, and the future. Sorry again...

SDSioux, you don't need to apologize to anyone. I, for one, and for what its worth, believe that you are entitled to say anything you want. I don't like thread Nazis who intimidate or name call. We all have opinions, and agree or disagree, they're all valid. I enjoy this site, and most disagreements are civil. I think there are just a lot of people who really wanted this year to be the year. I hope you keep coming on to ss.com. I think the more, the better. Take Care, and don't be intimidated by bluster.

I talked to some guys at the REA who said they talked to some of the players and they all got back late to Grand Forks and just started drinking(whole team) till about noon that day and then all slept and went to a players meeting and then proceded to start drinking again. They are college kids, who drink. Whats new and whats the big deal?

It's a good thing none of the fans who watch the games at REA are the drinking sort. Things would get outta hand! :)

I would like to apolgize for causing alot of anger on this topic. I'm been called newbee, band wagon jumper, and old lady :) . When I posted, I was angry about the season ending loss. I wish i would have been more eliquite with my words. Although I don't post often, I read this site daily. I just wish the team would have gotten together quietly and reflected on the year that was, and the future. Sorry again...

I assume I was being called a newbee, band wagon jumper and old lady as well. I think we're in the somewhat of the same situation here, people assume because we don't post often, or we're new members, we must also be new Sioux hockey fans as well.

I think that reiterates that it's must be part of human nature to reach a conclusion about a situation before gathering all of the facts.

Everyone's frustrated with the loss to BC. Our time will come again.

Ah maybe they were crammin for a big test, oh thats right they dont go to class, now they will party till the NHL sends them a ticket right??

dont go to class? i see them in my classes all the time and a lot lof the time HAK drops by to make sure they are there!

It's getting more and more difficult to deny that a disturbing pattern has developed for Mr. Oshie. Alcohol has consistently been at the center of his brushes with the law. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see T.J. being the type of person who would have problems with the law apart from alcohol consumption. Out of concern for T.J., I hope he has some people around him who are challenging him to be honest with himself about his drinking. He has so much to lose. He wouldn't be the first person to throw away unbelieveable talent and golden opportunities on alcohol. Maybe there's nothing to this at all. Maybe it's all just a coincidence. But it's getting harder and harder to believe that it is. It's way too easy to say that this is just normal college student behavior. For T.J.'s sake, I hope he doesn't ignore some developing warning signs of a problem.

I realize that this opinion will not be popular, but then again it never is. All I care is that T.J., his friends, and his family take a close and concerned look at whatever is at the root of these problems. Like I said, T.J. has way too much to lose...way, way, way, way, way too much to lose.

I'm sure it seems odd to you as ndsu doesn't send near as many athletes to the pros.

Ironic that a Bison fan would be questioning the integrity or study habits of UND hockey players with the Bison's rich tradition such as: the family tradition of running a theft ring and stealing merchandise from department stores (Dick family), running kids down with vehicles and then leaving the scene (Simdorn) or attempting to threaten police if they arrest players (Rocky Hager). But hey, who is judging? At least many UND hockey players will play professionally while NDSU players will dream of a short stint in the Arena Football League.

There are some successful teams in hockey that are playing a run and gun style hockey.

Pittsburg comes to mind right away. I think B.C. played the type of hockey that I would like to see

come back to UND, maybe we they aren't talented enough right now but with the players coming in

maybe it will change. If a team has 2-3 lines that can go like the days of Blaiser the oppostion is going to have to

skate with you or get scored on. In looking at the recruits we have coming in it would appear teamed with the base

the Sioux has now they should be able to get up and go.

I miss the old run and gun style of hockey but we may not see it while Hak is coaching, don't get me wrong he is a great coach, it's just that he teaches more of a defensive style like the devils have. We will not always have a JPL so I hope that he decides to try a new style of hockey next year with all the new talent coming in, even if we don't get to the FF playing a speed style, with minor cycling to create offensive opportunities, it would be a much better game to watch and we would probably be in the top 5 in the wcha through the whole year, not just in the second half. speaking on the WCHA, they can't clutch and grab you if they can't catch you :)

Ironic that a Bison fan would be questioning the integrity or study habits of UND hockey players with the Bison's rich tradition such as: the family tradition of running a theft ring and stealing merchandise from department stores (Dick family), running kids down with vehicles and then leaving the scene (Simdorn) or attempting to threaten police if they arrest players (Rocky Hager). But hey, who is judging? At least many UND hockey players will play professionally while NDSU players will dream of a short stint in the Arena Football League.

Well I guess they did have Lamar Gordon who went on to a professional career after getting doped up and arrested for kicking in windows at Moorhead State BEFORE one of the most important games of his Bi-son career. A game the mighty Bi-son went on to lose effectively putting an end to the playoff hopes of probably one of their best teams ever.

Maybe the theme for this year's Sioux team should be the UMD Bulldogs Penalty Box motto: Win or Lose, we booze. :)

I'd guess 90% of the NCAA hockey teams share this motto. The only thing that might concern me would be the frequency in which some get notice by law enforcement.

It's getting more and more difficult to deny that a disturbing pattern has developed for Mr. Oshie. Alcohol has consistently been at the center of his brushes with the law. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see T.J. being the type of person who would have problems with the law apart from alcohol consumption. Out of concern for T.J., I hope he has some people around him who are challenging him to be honest with himself about his drinking. He has so much to lose. He wouldn't be the first person to throw away unbelieveable talent and golden opportunities on alcohol. Maybe there's nothing to this at all. Maybe it's all just a coincidence. But it's getting harder and harder to believe that it is. It's way too easy to say that this is just normal college student behavior. For T.J.'s sake, I hope he doesn't ignore some developing warning signs of a problem.

I realize that this opinion will not be popular, but then again it never is. All I care is that T.J., his friends, and his family take a close and concerned look at whatever is at the root of these problems. Like I said, T.J. has way too much to lose...way, way, way, way, way too much to lose.

it is easy to say its just the normal college student behavior and perhaps it is, how long are you a kid? i am sure TJ is just being a kid and hopefully when he turns pro he will put this behavior behind him! also, no one can deny what he brings to the ice...he never half-asses it out there even if he is injured he plays at a high level that some people wish they could play at! i know what you are saying kvinbe and hopefully its just him being a college student and once he signs that contract he "grows" up because he has a ton of talent that we all would hate to see go to waste!

I'd guess 90% of the NCAA hockey teams share this motto. The only thing that might concern me would be the frequency in which some get notice by law enforcement.

I think the Law Enforcement in Grand Forks, ND might have a woody for the hockey team.

A loud party is a lot to do about nothing. Big deal I almost got one in Bemidji for playing tecmo bowl.

No drinking involved.

When did this become a board for AA?:) :) In all seriousness, I know the statements are meant for the right reasons, but seriously, all my buddies and I drank at least 4 nights a week in college, and none of us have a post college problem. I am quite sure that it is premature to be concerned about boozing it up in college and getting stupid citations.