SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Camps @ the Ralph

kr

CB was on the radio with Mike @ KNOX this morning.

Re: Hockey Camps -- if your child(ren) doesn't have an application in by now probably unable to get in -- you can try by calling Cheryl Gilbertson at the hockey office 777-3103 -- hockey camp is a great time, but it is a big responsibility -- 24 hour supervision -- days run 8am to 9/10 pm -- every Sunday the staff has a big meeting to run through the upcoming week.

Joking back and forth about CB being the son of a Marine ... CB said his brother is the scary one in the family, very intimidating (was a Marine in VietNam 69/70..) -- for those unfamiliar, Mike is a Marine so he brings up the Marine connection quite a bit.

Caller: What is the goalie situation?

Still in the air - Nate Z. is here now -- Phil L. is back at Central finishing up school and will be back in the USHL next year.

Caller: What about Brady Murray?

Going to world junior camp for Canada (he has dual citizenship US/Canada) -- won't go into expectations -- puts too much pressure on kids in addition to NCAA regulations dictate what information can be released regarding recruits.

Mike: I'm not a fan of NCAA -- conversation turned to the Myron Allen situation for a little bit.

E-mail question: Any "Travis Roche's" next year?

6'4" Smaby will be a physical presence and Robbie Bina is in the hallway. Mike: Bina is pound for pound the toughest football player he'd ever seen -- hits like a ton of bricks -- played d-back .....

CB: we have skilled d-men that'll have another year under the belt. In our league a Keith Ballard is the model of that type of player.

Playoffs: obviously, tonight is a must win for the wild -- the ducks goalie has been too good for the wild to come back from a 0-3 series (barring a total melt-down from Gig...) The wild would be helped if they could pick up one more superstar to compliment Marion G., either an offensive or a defensive star -- a Pronger type on d would help a lot. Hoping that MN surges back tonight -- the inability to score on the ducks goalie gets to be an emothional/mental burden -- the goalie is seeing everything right now -- they'll have to try to get a constant presence in front of him -- they need to get nasty -- regarding tonight's game -- could see MN outshooting ducks 12-6 in the first, they'll come out hard, but remember ducks have played 5 fewer games, plus MN has used a lot of emotion to dig themselves out of 2 series -- emotion can take you a long, long way, however, it is very wearing, and as mentioned the goalie is in the zone and 5 less games in the playoffs is a big advantage for the ducks. NJ and Ott. -- what a battle. Right now, would probably go with NJ taking the cup -- but they play the game for a reason, so we'll see.

E-mail: what about Curtis Murphy?

One of the best but the size is a constant battle -- he's like a 5'8" d-man -- Roche is a 6'1" -- look at Vancouver, very physical d-men, large -- Travis should get a good look at the NHL next year

***** this is not a verbatim transcript -- I took license with is typed above -- no direct quotes -- I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth -- take it for what it's worth.....

I was a camp counselor for the hockey camps for a summer through the residence halls, if any one has any questions I can probably help you out with info.

The kids work their asses off but they have a great time, they are watched pretty carefully from the residence halls when they were with us. We woke them up got them breakfast walked them to the arena and later they were brought back with their hockey counselor (Usually a UND player or former UND player) they are entertained by the Hall staff at night they stay in the UND residence halls usually Walsh or Squires. There are commuters too who get dropped of and picked up by parents or what not.

There were kids at the camps ranging from 6-17 and they came back tired and smelly every day. Coach Blais has a great deal of involvement with the camps and campers when they are at camp, I met with him a couple times and he really likes the camps and working with the kids.

Yeah, those hockey camps are a lot of fun and a lot of work. In my PeeWee to Bantam trasition summer, me and about 30 or so other kids from our city went to Craig Dahl's camp at St. Cloud State (This was around their first year of being a decent team). One of the best weeks of my life. Dahl's assistants worked our a$$e$ off every morining, afternoon, and night, and kept us busy the whole day with different dryland training activities (ranging from flag football to shooting pucks). I actually met Dahl and he ate lunch and BS'd with us on a few days, pretty cool guy. There were not only SCCC players there helping out, but a few from other WCHA schools like the Wisco were there helping out as well.

Yeah, those hockey camps are a lot of fun and a lot of work. In my PeeWee to Bantam trasition summer, me and about 30 or so other kids from our city went to Craig Dahl's camp at St. Cloud State (This was around their first year of being a decent team). One of the best weeks of my life. Dahl's assistants worked our a$$e$ off every morining, afternoon, and night, and kept us busy the whole day with different dryland training activities (ranging from flag football to shooting pucks). I actually met Dahl and he ate lunch and BS'd with us on a few days, pretty cool guy. There were not only SCCC players there helping out, but a few from other WCHA schools like the Wisco were there helping out as well.

I hope you fly planes better than Craig Dahl coaches hockey.

After settling for a tie with the POI group, I expect to see some Siouxsports.com players signing up for one of these camps!  :blush:

Settling? All the odds were against us. We had never played together, we were on the road, and we had only 7 players. But, if you must blame someone, it would surely be the fault of our coach. :0:D;):p

And btw - I didn't see the "out-of-shape over-the-hill" group. What week is that camp? :D

But, if you must blame someone, it would surely be the fault of our coach.  :blush:  :p  ;)

GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 50!!! I will not take insubordinance from my players! ;)

Thanks for sticking up for me PCM. Maybe I should have used a few more F-bombs to intimidate the opposition?? :0;)

Man, I haven't had time to read the message boards in awhile. You guys must have missed me, because I come back and everyone is talking smack about me. :D

Speaking of the Sioux/POI game, brianv recognized me from the team picture at the bar last Friday (my 21st birthday) :D and came up to say hi and pay me for the ice since he and his friend couldn't make it to the game. Very cool, although I must say it's weird having people recognize me from a message board. But hey, if it means people coming up to me in strange places and handing me $20, you can view my picture on PCM's website. ;)

Forecheck- I hope that you used that $20 to buy some shots for yourself! You looked too sober for a girl celebrating her 21st. :D

Actually I did, thanks. ;) I think at that point I was already building up quite the tolerance. After my power hour the night before, suddenly those $1.50 pitchers just weren't getting the job done. One of my friends threw up that night. Aren't I the one who is supposed to be throwing up on my 21st birthday? :blush::0 I was a trooper though. I still got out to the Cuckoo's Nest for 3 for 1's at 11 the next morning for Springfest.

...I was a trooper though.  I still got out to the Cuckoo's Nest for 3 for 1's at 11 the next morning for Springfest.

You weren't at the park for Springfest??...I must say I am rather dissapointed forecheck. While not quite as fun as last year...it was still worth going to (especially since the Wild lost).

Blasphemy! Of course we were at the park!! We just had to stop at the Cuckoo's nest to warm up first. :D Let's see, about 1 1/2 hours at the bar, then 4 1/2 hours at the park, finished off with 1 1/2 hours at Paradiso's drinking pitchers of margaritas. I would have drank you under the table. :0 I even scooted down the slip 'n' slide at the park. :blush:

Blasphemy! Of course we were at the park!! We just had to stop at the Cuckoo's nest to warm up first. :0 Let's see, about 1 1/2 hours at the bar, then 4 1/2 hours at the park, finished off with 1 1/2 hours at Paradiso's drinking pitchers of margaritas. I would have drank you under the table. ;) I even scooted down the slip 'n' slide at the park. :blush:

Good to hear, I must have not seen you there (this could be because I've never met you)...and drink my fat Irish a$$ under the table :D...