SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey East Changes

MinnesotaNorthStar

Hockey East looks to Change Refs, OT System

Hockey East has voted 5-2 and 4-3 in favor of changing the current referee and OT systems, respectively. Under the changes, that wouldn't take effect until the 2004-05 season, Hockey East would have two referees and two linesmen, like the NHL. Also like the NHL, OT would be 4x4 with teams receving one point for an OT loss. I think that this is a great idea. There needs to be another ref out there to catch those behind the play calls, that one would not normally see. I also am in complete agreement with the new OT system. Giving teams one point for an OT loss gives them nothing to lose. It has made the NHL game more exciting in OT, as teams go all out in the OT period. Under the current OT systems, I believe that teams really play not to lose, instead of to win.

Your thoughts?

I like the idea of having 2 refs on the ice, It gives less of an excuse for missed calls, but of course putting Schmidt and Adam on the ice at the same time could result in much swearing from the student section. (and we wouldnt want that, would we :blush: but I am only a student for 4 more days.)

As for the overtime changes... I think that it could go either way, but if you are going to give a point for an over time loss you should set up the game so there is no such thing as a tie. Either go down the shoot out road or play till some one scores like the NHL playoffs.

I like the idea of having 2 refs on the ice, It gives less of an excuse for missed calls, but of course putting Schmidt and Adam on the ice at the same time could result in much swearing from the student section. (and we wouldnt want that, would we :blush: but I am only a student for 4 more days.)

Dude that isn't even funny...

First of all, off-topic, there is a reason Mike Schmitt has worked so many Frozen Fours and it is that he is one of the best referees in college hockey.

Second, I think the whistle is used often enough and I personally don't want to see another referee on the ice. When there is one referee, there is one sheriff on the ice setting the tone for the game. Do you think having two guys out there will help the officiating consistency?

Third, the college OT's that I saw last year had plenty of chances. I see no need for 4X4 when 5x5 play was plenty exciting. I'm in favor of one point for an OT loss, though, as it seems equitable.

First of all, off-topic, there is a reason Mike Schmitt has worked so many Frozen Fours and it is that he is one of the best referees in college hockey.

Second, I think the whistle is used often enough and I personally don't want to see another referee on the ice. When there is one referee, there is one sheriff on the ice setting the tone for the game. Do you think having two guys out there will help the officiating consistency?

Third, the college OT's that I saw last year had plenty of chances. I see no need for 4X4 when 5x5 play was plenty exciting. I'm in favor of one point for an OT loss, though, as it seems equitable.

2 refs mean even quicker whistles when a ref thinks the goalie has covered the puck. As soon as one ref loses sight of the puck he blows the whistles. Considering there will be one ref on either side of the goalie that means 50% more chance someone will lose sight of the puck and blow the whistle.

Frankly, I think whistles came fast enough with 1 ref.

Im not too sure about that. I think the way it works with the 2 ref system is that one guy stays high on the play at the blue line and the other guy gets down in there. I would think that its the ref that is down by the goals responsibility to blow the whistle. In the NHL you rarely see the ref behind the play blow the puck dead on a cover up.

But I do agree that sometimes the refs are a little quick on the trigger finger and blow the puck dead waaay to fast. I remember us getting screwed a couple times last year on that.

On another note I just want to float an idea about over time. What if you bumped the 5 minute overtime period to 10 minutes? That would give much more time to decide a winner, frankly I hate ties but a shoot out format or play till you drop wont really work in regular season college hockey.

I agree completely. One ref is enough for me. The less ref involvement, the better in my book.

I also agree that college OT is a lot different than the NHL. In the college game, there still seems to be pretty good opportunities to score in a 5 on 5 OT period (at least in the games I see). I don't really see the overwhelming need to go 4 on 4 like the NHL needed to do.

It might even be interesting to zamboni the ice and play a full 20 minute overtime. I just really hate ties, I want to give a game every possible chance with in reason to be won, the overtime loss point does a lot for that, and maybe more time.

I don't mind a few ties but it seems in recent years there are very high level of ties. This is off the top of my head so maybe stats would refute that opinion.

I don't have a great suggestion for how to fix it, but I wouldn't mind seeing either longer OT periods or else 4x4 for a shorter time.

Not a fan of shootouts to decide a contest.

who cares about HE!??!? I mean C'MON...there are too many zebras on the ice already, adding one is going to cause problems...mark my words...ESPECIALLY when you get two of the bad ones...but that is my opinion.

As for the 4X4 OT, maybe in pros, but I think that will be a bad thing in college play. I think you will see the teams that are a more skating style of play dominate that type of OT. The clutcher and grabber teams will fall behind fast. Let's face it, not every team can get the skating types they need and resort to the clutch/grab style of play (Mav's, Bucky, etc. for example). Leave the OT 5X5 in WCHA, but resurface the ice for chrimmeny's sake, and make it 10 minutes...

Hopefully this stuff stays out East and doesn't contaminate the best league in NCAA play...the WCHA!!!

WPoS

I think that the addition of another ref has potential, sure it could lead to more stupid penalties, but I think that it will make the game better.

I don't like the 4x4 system or the point system. If they want less ties make OT ten minutes instead of five...

I thought Winchester was a senior last year? :blush:

I thought Winchester was a senior last year? :blush:

I think he's talking about DeMarchi :D , but yes Winchester will no longer be feeling shame with the BADgers, and neither will DeMarchi with the Goophs

The 2 ref system is mainly designed to stop players from taking cheapshots behind the play. The Sioux, at least that I've seen, have been screwed in the past by players taking shots behind the play. Also, maybe Canady will be more careful about what HE does behind the play.