SiouxSports.com Forum

Blackface?

The Sicatoka

Fargo Forum:

A skit with a black-faced white student portraying Barack Obama receiving a lap dance has sparked claims of racial insensitivity and an investigation at North Dakota State University.

The NDSU Saddle and Sirloin Club and sorority Alpha Gamma Delta are at the center of the controversy for a lip-sync act performed for 500 people at the Mr. NDSU Pageant. ....

A pageant contestant from Saddle and Sirloin dressed as the woman from the popular Internet video "I Got a Crush on Obama" and performed for another student who was wearing dark makeup and an afro wig.

In the background, two male students dressed as cowboys simulated anal sex while holding an Obama sign that one student ripped at the conclusion of the 30-second performance.

Better?

It also comes about a week before Democratic presidential candidate Obama is scheduled to visit North Dakota to speak at the state Democratic Convention.

Good timing there, eh?

Now ...

Blackface? Were the Colorado College Tigers hockey team there too?

Or ... blackface, cowboy references ....

Is this somehow related to the history of the previously all black 10th Cavalry ("The Buffalo Soldiers") and a "hostile and abusive" misuse of the Bison (buffalo) moniker and mascot?

I think, just to be safe, NDSU should change the Bison moniker. :D :D

Heard this collected GASP that pierced my bedroom window in south Fargo from the holier than thou's at Moo U in north Fargo this morning!

Thanks for pointing out the splinters in UND's hand in the past, but now watch out for the plank pertruding from your own (NDSU) eye!!

Here is a random thought. Who Cares. And to say that those students come rural ND and they have little diversity. That is basically saying that they are just dumb hicks. That is slapping the face of the very people who support that school.

One last thought, the Forum should go after them as hard as they go after the Sioux.

That is a great comment...

I hope you're being sarcastic. If a bunch of inner-city kids threw a Cowboy party, I doubt if protesters would call them out saying "these are a bunch of inner-city punk-asses and we need to send them to diversity training."

I love it when people who specialize in breaking down stereotypes say things that perpetuate stereotypes.

I hope you're being sarcastic. If a bunch of inner-city kids threw a Cowboy party, I doubt if protesters would call them out saying "these are a bunch of inner-city punk-asses and we need to send them to diversity training."

I love it when people who specialize in breaking down stereotypes say things that perpetuate stereotypes.

I was being sarcastic.

I wonder when the NDSU Saddle and Sirloin Club will update their scrapbook page?

Just when you think it can't get any better ...

4,500 early copies of (campus newspaper) The Spectrum vanish at NDSU

The editor of the North Dakota State University student newspaper filed a police report Friday after 4,500 issues disappeared.

The issue of The Spectrum contained a special section that listed salaries of all NDSU employees.

It also included a news story on the controversial Barack Obama skit from the Mr. NDSU Pageant and profiles on student body president candidates.