SiouxSports.com Forum

Forum Editorial on UND and Kupchella

star2city

"The UND School of Medicine is doing its utmost to prevent re-establishment of a family practice residency program in Fargo."

The last family practice residency program in Fargo closed because of debts, and the UND School of Medicine was out $700,000 because of it. Where was the Fargo Medical establishment then? Did they not have some responsibilty? The Legislature allowed forgiveness of the debt. There are three other family practice programs, in Minot, Bismarck, and Grand Forks. Because of low interest in family practice, filling the slots is not easy, and the Forum is demanding a fourth site be added?

One of the goals of the family practice residency programs is to encourage physicians to locate in rural North Dakota. From Fargo, one in fifteen residents moved to a rural town, but from the other sites one in four locate in rural areas. If the welfare of the whole state is considered, the existing locations serve the state much better. And with Fargo having three of only seven residency programs in the state, it is not as if Fargo is not being served by the UND School of Medicine.

Furthermore, how does this even support the editorial premise that UND is undermining NDSU? The subject does not pertain to NDSU.

Finally, the Forum Columnist Janell Cole reported this:

Now we hear rumors that Fargoans may be contacting the congressional delegation and urging them to not steer federal funds to the UND medical school.

So the Forum makes a stand that UND is attempting to scuttle NDSU

"And now the Grand Forks school is working overtime to derail new Ph.D. programs at NDSU."

NDSU has launched or is planning to launch the following doctoral programs:

Communication

Psychology

Education (pending)

History,

English (pending)

Criminal justice

Food safety

Natural resources management

Software engineering

Genomics,

Transportation and logistics

Musical arts

Industrial and manufacturing engineering,

Civil engineering,

Mechanical engineering

Agricultural and biosystems engineering,

Electrical and computer engineering

Molecular Pathogenesis

Human Development

The first six would be competitive with UND programs, and only education and English programs have been objected to by Kupchella. By any standard, the pace of these program expansion are aggressive and also very costly. Chapman

- Uh, if the GF delegation saw that the vote was going against them, why would they expose themselves to criticism by voting for it? You, who see a conspiracy in the timing of Fargo Fourm editorials, should recognize that most politicians do not expend political capital in losing battles.

- All UND's debt was forgiven for the residency program.

- Nobody is asking UND to start a new program anymore, all Fargo wanted is a shot at starting a new one with the U of M without any interference from UND's administration.

- You are correct - UND's actions (or alleged actions) in this matter have nothing to do with NDSU, but I've been bringing up things that UND has done recently that demonstrate a pattern of parochialism. These actions do affect NDSU more than any other institution, but the damage is not exclusive to NDSU.

- You repeated a rumor that Fargo residents (as opposed to newspaper editors, NDSU administrators, or Fargo city officials) talked to the ND Congressional delegation in an effort to punish UND for the medical residency squabble. Then you made a mighty leap in logic from that shaky platform built entirely of gossip. Repeating a rumor is bad enough, using it as the basis of argument is worse. Heck, the guy who originally complained to the Forum about UND's actions listed "associate professor - UND medical school" among his titles. There was no NDSU turf protection going on here because, as you pointed out, they don't have a dog in this fight.

I feel obliged to point out that of the two sponsors of the bill, the NDSU alumnus bill sponsor (Froelich, Selfridge, D) voted for it and the UND alumnus bill sponsor (Wald, Dickinson?, R) voted against it.

Suddenly I have the urge to quote 'tony':

The proponents of that legislation probably had to look long and hard to find a guy with an NDSU background to help trot out that lame horse of a bill but the the telling point is which sponsors actually voted for or debated in favor of it. Sometimes a rep will sponsor something just so the issue gets aired and put to rest once and for all.

Who did "help trot out that lame horse of a bill" and voted for it?

Who did "sponsor something just so the issue gets aired" and voted to "put to rest"?

Then you made a mighty leap in logic from that shaky platform built entirely of gossip. Repeating a rumor is bad enough, using it as the basis of argument is worse.

You mean like The Forum did?

In recent months UND tried to scuttle NDSU

It is absolutely fascinating how events and fate interfere with those in power attempting to manipulate events for their own ends. There is an invisible hand at work that can be seen by reflection.

Example #1

On November 26, 2002, the Forum published Ralph Engelstad's letter to UND Prof. Sharon Carson, and Prof. Carson's response. I believe the Forum had an unstated agenda in publishing this information. Within twenty-four hours, sadly, Ralph passed away. The Forum's immediately backtracked on the earlier agenda, and Ralph's legacy was only enhanced when many of his anonymous deeds were revealed and his courage in fighting cancer was understood.

Example #2

The case in point is the the thread subject, the Fargo Forum editorial scuriously attacking Kupchella. Within a week of the editorial, Kupchella announces he might leave. If Kupchella held so much power as the Editorial implies, only a person of strong moral character would voluntarily consider giving it up for family or other reasons. Again, the Forum and their agenda is hung out to dry.

At least one Board of Higher Education member shared this view:

In a prepared statement, (Ralph) Kingsbury criticized Craig Schnell, NDSU

Surprise, surprise!! The one Board of Higher Education member who had the morals and conviction to refute the Forum's editorial, Ralph Kingsbury, was roasted in this morning's Forum editorial.

At least one board member trotted the tired argument about competing degree programs. Ralph Kingsbury of Grafton said two of the proposed doctorates at NDSU would be

The Grand Forks Herald hit back on Sunday with its own editorial on the controversy over whether NDSU should offer programs similar to UND's. In North Dakota, having the "duplication of services" label hung around your neck generally doesn't sit well with most state legislators and taxpayers.

Competition in business is good for consumers, but competition in state government only leads to unnecessary duplication and waste. Chapman's digging himself a pretty deep hole.

• 4 weeks later...
Note to self:  Don't argue with star2city.

I will admit I like to pound those extra nails in certain coffins. :angry::glare:

Speaking of which, there was a nice underhanded compliment on Bisonville the other day:

Some of the rediculous loudmouths on siouxsuck.com were right when they said nobody would welcome us. At least for the foreseable future that is the truth and NDSU is going to have to carve out it's own niche in athletics by being the best.

Truth triumphs at last !!!

It's nice to know that Jethro's spelling and logic are still shining examples of an 'SU education.

Any truth to the rumor that the Stream Yellow crowd is checking into forming a conference with Josef's School of Hair Design and/or the Moorhead Vo-Tech?

ScottM Posted on Jun 14 2003, 05:32 PM

Any truth to the rumor that the Stream Yellow crowd is checking into forming a conference with Josef's School of Hair Design and/or the Moorhead Vo-Tech?

Latest rumors are Missouri-Rolla bolting to DIII and UNO headed to MIAA. Gang Green conference schedule could be USD, SCSU, MSU-Mankato, UMD, Augie.

The way things are going, Josef's and Moohead Vo-Tech could be DII within a few years! hee hee.

The way things are going, Josef's and Moohead Vo-Tech could be DII within a few years! hee hee.

I'm sadly forced to agree with BisonMav that Josef's is perilously closer to being on UND's football schedule than NDSU's. :glare: I can even keep my comment on topic by stating that I hope NDSU's move to D-IAA lights a fire under UND to at least bring in quality D-II opponents if they stay D-II (however, unless NDSU football loses miserably every year in D-IAA, how long will Grand Forksers tolerate UND being in a "lower" division than NDSU?)

This is why I think the new I-AA might help UND out the most. With just 7 schools in the league, it is open for UND to also be added for football. I would be very surprised if UND would stay much more then 5-6 years longer in DII. But the climb to I-AA from DII is only going to get steeper for UND with lower football scholorship numbers in DII. Moving from 32 to 63 is almost doubling the number. This also requires that 30 or so women's scholorships to be added. What sports will be added for the women?

On the NDSU subject, it looks like we won't have too much trouble getting to the 63 max scholorships in the next 2-3 years. Here was an article on the NDSU Teammakers president in The Forum.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=35179