SiouxSports.com Forum

How would you beat this team?

mikejm

I agree with what you said about Miami in terms of them being able to beat us if we don't take them seriously. However, it isn't because of Zatkoff. He looks good because he plays against teams with little offensive fire power. Look what happened when he played one of the top teams in the country....he gave up 9 goals in a weekend. He's a good goalie, but isn't amazing and his defense in front of him is worse. Miami will win by oustcoring against a good team.

To add to this, Miami was also facing a red hot Michigan team. Anyone who played Michigan on these given nights would not have stood much of a chance, actually I believe nobody would have. Chad Kolarik was simply dominating and Michigan was firing on all cylinders, it was impressive.

I understand that Miami has had an easy schedule but they do have talent on their team. Ryan Jones has 29 goals, not easy to do against any schedule. To dismiss them simply because of their schedule (Goon) is unreasonable. I'm all about being a proponent of the WCHA , but it is not an end all, be all conference. There are other talented teams out there. I do believe UND would beat them 8 out of 10 times, but in the NCAA , anything can happen and to cheer for them to be an opponent I think is dangerous.

I think all the teams in the WCHA have already figured out the best way to try and beat the Sioux. Ride their best players like a jockey and pretend your stick is a whip because McClown's referees are probably better suited to officiate a horse race anyway.

Hope you catch them on an off night or afternoon or when they are dissinterested. I think this weekend will be more of a challenge than the Final Five, you have to fight against overlooking Tech. Tech is the type of series that can bite you, underperforming team during the season, difference making goaltender, seasons over if they don't advance and not a rival. I think you win, I think complacency is your biggest challenge this week. On paper you have the talent to beat all teams, puck luck and desire are what will stop you.

Besides that, I would take the offensive game directly at you. To many teams go to the perimeter on you. I would attack the slot and pressure JPL(not run him) let him know you will be there all day. If you attack and pressure JPL you will get scoring chances as a result of the pressure and the penalties. Your weakest link is also your strongest. You stand up for your teamates...without composure. Your penalty kill is solid, You will see more desperate and talented power plays as you advance, that will be your test in my opinion.

...but in the NCAA , anything can happen and to cheer for them to be an opponent I think is dangerous.

I think I was the only person on the board last season who thought Michigan State might be able to hang with BC. I bet the Eagles would beat the Spartans 9 times out of 10, but it only takes 1 time...