SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Playoffs Talk

AZSIOUX

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greatest heist in playoff history. Quinnipiac, who tired of the season last week, hired the nearest DI Club team to play in their stead.

After going down 6-0, the Quinnipiac team decided to start taking plays from the movie "Mighty Ducks"

By the end of the game, they were too busy figure skating or doing homework to care about the game. :D

(Seriously, Quinnipiac should just forfeit the rest of the season. Embarrassing.)

Nebraska Omaha didn't do much better against Michigan. Embarrassing.

A great shot indeed, but, WOW, one of the greatest shots in recent history? That's a stretch. We're not talking about a Lorenzo Charles dunk at the buzzer to give a team an NCAA championship here. I bet you could find a dozen similar buzzer beaters from any regular season or conference tournament game this year alone. One of the greatest in RECENT HISTORY? Wow.

I would have to agree with gopherz about it being one of the best shots in recent college basketball history. Actually, it was very similar to Laettner's buzzer beater against Kentucky, which is considered the greatest shot in college basketball history. Lorenzo Charles's dunk was a great play to win a title, but not a great shot. You can find lots of buzzer beaters, but not a turnaround at the buzzer after a 60 foot heave. Besides Laettner's shot, the only other one I can remember was Bryce Drew for Valpo in the 1998 Tourney. You can find plenty of dunks and layups at the buzzer.

But back to hockey. I mentioned this in the UND/Tech thread because I didn't see it being discussed elsewhere, but this thread seems more appropriate. What is the deal with not calling any penalties in OT? Minnesota was giving a hell of a lot worse than it was getting, but Mankato was hardly innocent. Other than the first period, I didn't think last night showed how badly the WCHA wanted the Gophers to make the Final Five, I think it showed just how terrible their officials are. Honestly, if you shot somebody on the ice, would they call a penalty in OT? Many of these players have a lot of money at stake in the form of future NHL contracts. If this is the way they're going to officiate games, why in the hell would NHL caliber players play college hockey? There were a ton of blatant penalties last night that weren't called, then they call a too many men penalty when the guy is half a stride from the bench? As great as last nights UMN-Mankato was, all it takes is one game like that where a star player is seriously injured due to the non-calls and all of a sudden the future Oshies and Toews and Parises of the world might decide WCHA hockey isn't worth the risks anymore. How can the league not give a !@#$ about this?

I might get reemed for this comment, but after last night's game I gained a little more respect for Bruess. Didn't like his actions against Kaip and glad it got settled. But talk about being modest. He gave all the credit on the goal to Kalinski, and then turned and gave all the credit in the game to Zachar. I don't know, but I really like players with little heads and go out and just get the job done. But congrats to the Mavericks.

I know this might be another stupid comment, but watching the overtime's in that game, and listening to a couple of Woog's, "this is wrong" comments, I started thinking if something was up. Anyone else think there is a chance the ref's may be helping out the Goof's in order to get them to the Final Five so ticket sales and merchandise all go up. Without the Gopher there I forsee the WCHA taking somewhat of a hit.

Anyone else think there is a chance the ref's may be helping out the Goof's in order to get them to the Final Five so ticket sales and merchandise all go up. Without the Gopher there I forsee the WCHA taking somewhat of a hit.

I'm hardly a conspiracy theorist, mikeypat15, but anyone who watched the IceBreaker games this past fall would have to wonder. RPI skated out to a 3-0 lead against the Gophers and almost IMMEDIATELY, the parade of Engineers skating to the penalty box took over the game. Before you could bat an eye, the Gophers had scored 4 goals and won the game. Go look at the boxscore if you don't believe me...someone didn't want the Gophers playing in the afternoon at the X and wanted them playing against Michigan in prime-time.

After RPI scored at the 15:12 mark of the second period, here's your scoring:

16:44 of the 2nd: Stoa PPG

4:32 of the 3rd: Wheeler 4X4

10:52 of the 3rd: Kaufmann PPG

18:49 of the 3rd: Okposo PPG

Last night, the whistles are tucked away in OT until a line-change results in a too many men on the ice penalty? Unbelievable.

Dont know when that 1st SOG came, but it took FOREVER! Up until then, JPL could have minded his net from the comfort of his sofa. :D

i thought i saw phil skate to the bench as eades handed him some textbooks to study for the rest of the 1st period while the boys were at the other end, he may have even been using a highlighter to outline stuff. man that was crazy. they didnt get a shot on until the 2nd sometime.

According to quotes in today's paper, Russell thinks there should have been some shots credited to Tech apparently. I didn't see the first period so I don't know.

and i think he said the stats guywas on crack :D must suck when you care if you get creidted with a shot or not

I'm hardly a conspiracy theorist, mikeypat15, but anyone who watched the IceBreaker games this past fall would have to wonder. RPI skated out to a 3-0 lead against the Gophers and almost IMMEDIATELY, the parade of Engineers skating to the penalty box took over the game. Before you could bat an eye, the Gophers had scored 4 goals and won the game. Go look at the boxscore if you don't believe me...someone didn't want the Gophers playing in the afternoon at the X and wanted them playing against Michigan in prime-time.

Last night, the whistles are tucked away in OT until a line-change results in a too many men on the ice penalty? Unbelievable.

And that is another reason I'm skeptical, Goofs made some blatant penalties, including 1 CFB or atleast a board, and MSU gets called on a line change, and both guys were within 10 feet of the bench. Just seems to odd, MafiaMan I think you need to send Anthony Jr. in to figure this out. Crack some skulls. :D :D ;)

Unless both of those guys were skating back to the bench, that was one of the most outrageous homer calls Shepherd has given the gophs. The video from the doug and frank show had two 'kater skaters in the neutral zone within 4 feet of the bench, and the puck was about 140 ft away.

Scary thing is, I predicted as much when I saw the referee and assistant for the game.

I predict more of the same tonight. :D

tonights games - GO BEAVERS

WCHA Tournament

Wisconsin at St. Cloud State 7:05 CT WCHA First Round Game 2 - scsu up 1-0

Minnesota-Duluth at Denver 7:05 MT WCHA First Round Game 2 - denver up 1-0

Alaska-Anchorage at Colorado College 7:05 MT WCHA First Round Game 2 - cc up 1-0

Minnesota at Minnesota State 7:05 CT WCHA First Round Game 2 - msu up 1-0

CCHA Tournament

Ferris State at Notre Dame 7:05 ET CCHA Quarterfinal Game 2 - ferris up 1-0

Bowling Green at Miami 7:05 ET CCHA Quarterfinal Game 2 - miami up 1-0

Northern Michigan at Michigan State 7:05 ET CCHA Quarterfinal Game 2 - mst up 1-0

Nebraska-Omaha at Michigan 7:35 ET CCHA Quarterfinal Game 2 - mich up 1-0

CHA Tournament

Wayne State vs. Bemidji State 2:00 ET CHA Semifinal (Lewiston, NY) 1st period - 1-0 bsu

Robert Morris at Niagara 7:00 ET CHA Semifinal (Lewiston, NY)

HEA Tournament

Northeastern at Vermont 7:00 ET Hockey East Quarterfinal Game 2 - vermont up 1-0

Providence at Boston College 7:00 ET Hockey East Quarterfinal Game 2 - bc up 1-0

Massachusetts at New Hampshire 7:00 ET Hockey East Quarterfinal Game 2 - unh up 1-0

Mass.-Lowell at Boston University 7:00 ET Hockey East Quarterfinal Game 2 - bu up 1-0

The ref last night Thul, was be a linesmen before this season or at anytime this season? I can not remember him or seen him ref before.

He reffed us at Duluth, but I haven't seen him at other games. Some Duluth fans said they had him once before.

Maybe he was brought in when they went to the two referees at the beginning of the year? Then brought back when Schmidt was suspended?

Unless both of those guys were skating back to the bench, that was one of the most outrageous homer calls Shepherd has given the gophs. The video from the doug and frank show had two 'kater skaters in the neutral zone within 4 feet of the bench, and the puck was about 140 ft away.

Scary thing is, I predicted as much when I saw the referee and assistant for the game.

I predict more of the same tonight. :D

From what I saw, one guy was coming on as the other was going off. They were both standing on the ice about 1 foot from the boards. The puck was nowhere near them.

For some interesting user comments, check out the www.twincities.com story (link below). I love the poster commenting about disaster if Wisconsin and Minnesota don't make the tournament...

Gopher/Mankato Comments on Twincities.com

From what I saw, one guy was coming on as the other was going off. They were both standing on the ice about 1 foot from the boards. The puck was nowhere near them.

For some interesting user comments, check out the www.twincities.com story (link below). I love the poster commenting about disaster if Wisconsin and Minnesota don't make the tournament...

Gopher/Mankato Comments on Twincities.com

I'm glad I've held out on buying my Final Five tix, if neither Wisco, or Minne go, man people will be giving their tickets away.

Heh, I'm gonna get flamed for this but:

Thul reminds me of Campion right after Campion joined the WCHA. He is steady, consistent, makes calls that are unarguably penalties, and seems to be uncorrupted by the 6 rulebook penalty-enforced parity that Shepherd imposes.

That being said, give it time. Thul will come around to Greg's thinking just like Campion did.

I can't remember where it was said, but the WCHA is to officials as the Texas Rangers are to pitchers. It's where they go for their careers to die.

Many of these players have a lot of money at stake in the form of future NHL contracts. If this is the way they're going to officiate games, why in the hell would NHL caliber players play college hockey? There were a ton of blatant penalties last night that weren't called, then they call a too many men penalty when the guy is half a stride from the bench? As great as last nights UMN-Mankato was, all it takes is one game like that where a star player is seriously injured due to the non-calls and all of a sudden the future Oshies and Toews and Parises of the world might decide WCHA hockey isn't worth the risks anymore. How can the league not give a !@#$ about this?

I believe it was on this very board that it was said that this is hockey, and if you don't like physical contact, go do ballet. You can't have it both ways, hon.

I didn't realize that in the NHL, skilled players were allowed to skate to the net unchecked. What have I been watching? I guess it's a good thing that major juniors is such a clean league, so the precious little Oshies and Duncans of the world can play without getting quadruple-teamed. I don't even know if there are penalties there. I think they have flags attached to their breezers, and if you grab a player's flag, they have to give you the puck. The rest of the world looks at the WCHA as a bunch of savages! It's like A Brave New World.

Dont know when that 1st SOG came, but it took FOREVER! Up until then, JPL could have minded his net from the comfort of his sofa. :D

According to quotes in today's paper, Russell thinks there should have been some shots credited to Tech apparently. I didn't see the first period so I don't know.

and i think he said the stats guywas on crack :D must suck when you care if you get creidted with a shot or not

He was wrong, the stats guy was actually on black tar heroin. But still... not the most professional choice of words

I believe it was on this very board that it was said that this is hockey, and if you don't like physical contact, go do ballet. You can't have it both ways, hon.

I didn't realize that in the NHL, skilled players were allowed to skate to the net unchecked. What have I been watching? I guess it's a good thing that major juniors is such a clean league, so the precious little Oshies and Duncans of the world can play without getting quadruple-teamed. I don't even know if there are penalties there. I think they have flags attached to their breezers, and if you grab a player's flag, they have to give you the puck. The rest of the world looks at the WCHA as a bunch of savages! It's like A Brave New World.

Slashes, hooks, holds, and trips can be distinguished from checks

Actually, you must have me confused with someone else. I don't ever remember saying that. I'm sorry I asked a question about your arena a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize it was so dear to your heart that you're now going to follow me around putting words in my mouth, hon.

Actually, you must have me confused with someone else. I don't ever remember saying that. I'm sorry I asked a question about your arena a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize it was so dear to your heart that you're now going to follow me around putting words in my mouth, hon.

Wow. I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I said "IT WAS SAID" not "SIOUXTIMESTWO SAID." Don't kid yourself that I'm following you around. I have other people I prefer to internet-stalk. MafiaMan, for example. I can't help it if your dumb comments are the only ones I respond to, but really, I just don't have the energy bitch at everyone. It's hard, yo.

And HaksHomey, spare me. TJ dishes out plenty of hits. He can hold his own. If you can't hold your own in the WCHA, you'll never make it to the NHL. The Sioux take plenty of hooking, tripping and interference penalties of their own.

Wow. I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I said "IT WAS SAID" not "SIOUXTIMESTWO SAID."

And HaksHomey, spare me. TJ dishes out plenty of hits. He can hold his own. If you can't hold your own in the WCHA, you'll never make it to the NHL. The Sioux take plenty of hooking, tripping and interference penalties of their own.

Not really - they can actually skate so they don't usually take those kind's of penalties.

And if you pay attention to the NHL, they do call alot more stick penalties than in WCHA - like John Madden's penalty at the end of the Wild/Devils game on Thur.