SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-USD Rivalry

Coyote Fan

Back to the point at hand. It seems like maybe UND seems to not think of USD as a great rival in football if the press release of the Sioux's 2008 schedule announcement is any indication. It was mentioned that the highlight of the schedule was the game against Southern Illinios, old coach or not. I believe that UND probably considers NDSU, SDSU, UNO and St. Cloud at the least more desirable games. I could probably add a few others but won't bother making the list too long.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never take the attitude of being angry if another team celebrates on USD's field or floor.

Probably because it has never been a big deal to anyone to win on USD's floor. :angry:

Back to the point at hand. It seems like maybe UND seems to not think of USD as a great rival in football if the press release of the Sioux's 2008 schedule announcement is any indication. It was mentioned that the highlight of the schedule was the game against Southern Illinios, old coach or not. I believe that UND probably considers NDSU, SDSU, UNO and St. Cloud at the least more desirable games. I could probably add a few others but won't bother making the list too long.

If you read the release, it noted that USD is a "long-time rival" of UND's and they've been playing for over 100 years. I don't know what more you want. I'm sorry that UNO has given UND more competitive games over the years than USD has, but that is out of our control. St. Cloud is a hockey rival, and to some extent a basketball one, but no more so than USD. SDSU isn't on the radar of many Sioux fans or alums. Obviously UND vs. NDSU has its history as does USD vs. SDSU, so I know you understand that. Personally, I always get excited when UND and USD meet in any sport, I'm sorry that you feel USD is so lowly that you do not. I was in Vermillion last year, and I'll be there again this year.

I think you read too much into the "highlight" comment. In the first year of DI, people are looking for what's different, not necessarily what's the same. A game against one of the best teams in FCS is significant. Add the Dale Lennon factor and it becomes the "highlight" of the season. Of the teams on the schedule, obviously USD is the biggest rivalry game on there, but that doesn't mean it's the "highlight" game in the first year of DI.

In football, I consider USD to be UND's second biggest historical rival, and the biggest current rival. I'm not sure what more you want than that?

Probably because it has never been a big deal to anyone to win on USD's floor. :angry:

If you read the release, it noted that USD is a "long-time rival" of UND's and they've been playing for over 100 years. I don't know what more you want. I'm sorry that UNO has given UND more competitive games over the years than USD has, but that is out of our control. St. Cloud is a hockey rival, and to some extent a basketball one, but no more so than USD. SDSU isn't on the radar of many Sioux fans or alums. Obviously UND vs. NDSU has its history as does USD vs. SDSU, so I know you understand that. Personally, I always get excited when UND and USD meet in any sport, I'm sorry that you feel USD is so lowly that you do not. I was in Vermillion last year, and I'll be there again this year.

Almost spit my coffee out.............almost. :(

Why now? If it's so great why not when SDSU went?

Was the last question intended to take a jab at USD based on opposition to SDSU's move to D1? Fact is, USD was not critical, as an institution, of SDSU's move to D1. USD was supportive of the proposal that the entire NCC move to D1. There were vocal USD supporters very critical of SDSU's move but I don't think it's fair to blame the institution. My impression is that UND, as an institution -- at least it's top representatives speaking openly -- was openly critical of NDSU's move to D1.

The relationship between UND and NDSU does not appear to be the same as the relationship between SDSU and USD. From my outsider's point-of-view, it seems there's real hatred between UND and NDSU while the relationship between SDSU and USD may have slipped into sincere dislike (not hatred) and that seems to have occurred in more recent times. Current SDSU and USD students have no idea about the past relationship so separation of the two schools over the past five or so years has been a cooling off period.

Now, with respect to that "flagship institution" comment: I won't speak to the State of North Dakota (although I'm confident the Bison fans will probably share my view), but with respect to the State of South Dakota, SDSU fans will state without hesitation that SDSU is the flagship institution. It is the largest, most diverse university. It is the institution that is foremost on the minds of South Dakotans when talking about higher education in South Dakota. I know that USD fans will argue the point (I think the argument centers on the placement of the word "University" ahead of the state's name) and this has been mindlessly discussed on SDSU's message board months ago (to the point everyone just got tired talking about it).

Was the last question intended to take a jab at USD based on opposition to SDSU's move to D1? Fact is, USD was not critical, as an institution, of SDSU's move to D1. USD was supportive of the proposal that the entire NCC move to D1. There were vocal USD supporters very critical of SDSU's move but I don't think it's fair to blame the institution. My impression is that UND, as an institution -- at least it's top representatives speaking openly -- was openly critical of NDSU's move to D1.

It makes some people feel better to think everyone in the UND and USD communities were against the move to DI back when NDSU and SDSU made the move. That way they can see things on black-and-white and good-and-evil terms. That's par for the course on message boards.

The relationship between UND and NDSU does not appear to be the same as the relationship between SDSU and USD. From my outsider's point-of-view, it seems there's real hatred between UND and NDSU while the relationship between SDSU and USD may have slipped into sincere dislike (not hatred) and that seems to have occurred in more recent times. Current SDSU and USD students have no idea about the past relationship so separation of the two schools over the past five or so years has been a cooling off period.

Now, with respect to that "flagship institution" comment: I won't speak to the State of North Dakota (although I'm confident the Bison fans will probably share my view), but with respect to the State of South Dakota, SDSU fans will state without hesitation that SDSU is the flagship institution. It is the largest, most diverse university. It is the institution that is foremost on the minds of South Dakotans when talking about higher education in South Dakota. I know that USD fans will argue the point (I think the argument centers on the placement of the word "University" ahead of the state's name) and this has been mindlessly discussed on SDSU's message board months ago (to the point everyone just got tired talking about it).

Get over yourself and SDSU - they won the first conference championship in years!! You still have not won any type of football playoff game. In fact, the only playoff game in the history of the school you had a grand total of minus yardage. As for SDSU academics, they are fine.. but nothing over the top. I looked at both SDSU and SDSM&T engineering programs. I went west to SDSM&T because they had more of a focus on undergraduate programs. Again, I believe most residents are very proud of SDSU, but not drinking all of your Kool Aid. Best of luck trying to win your first playoff game!!!

No Bincitysioux, it's true, the UND women's hoops team did not take the loss very graciously. Running off the court not even congratulating the winning squad after the tourney was only highlighted by the fact that they had to return to the court for the presentations. It wasn't a good representation of what UND is all about.

No Bincitysioux, it's true, the UND women's hoops team did not take the loss very graciously. Running off the court not even congratulating the winning squad after the tourney was only highlighted by the fact that they had to return to the court for the presentations. It wasn't a good representation of what UND is all about.

Oh boy - the timeless "class-no class" debate from the hockey forum has made its way to womens basketball. :D

Oh boy - the timeless "class-no class" debate from the hockey forum has made its way to womens basketball. :D

Anyone who watched the game knows the real story. The moron who does the radio for USD said they ran off the court and didn't shake hands. I watched the webcast which had him linked in doing the play by play. He did make the statement that they left without shaking hands what he didn't say is they came right back on within a minute to do so. Coach Roebuck sent the girls off to the side because he thought the students would rush the floor and he didn't want anyone getting hurt, but the girls did in fact come back onto the floor the radio guy painted a terrible picture.

I do have to admit I chuckled when I looked at the picture above the blog. Looks like they have grade school kids doing the reporting.

Without being there I really can't say to much, I can understand the crowds dissapointment in UND if they didn't know what the players were told. On the other hand are fans in SD that rough that Roebuck would order his players off the court? That seems a like a lame excuse to me but if the girls were told that you can't fault them.

For one thing there were barely any students there and certainly the crowd was not one where it would appear there was any real threat of a charging of the court. Roebuck had to see that. If he was worried he could have kept his players on the bench where they would have been safe until there was no chance of a stampede. It's probably putting their players in more harms way by having them jog through the court than to have them wait at the bench. There were quite a few Sioux fans in their section that were also rather ungreatfull after the loss. I know there was at least one instance of a Sioux fan throwing a bottle or something towards the Coyote Fans without being provoked. I know because I saw it. Personally I don't really care myself. If the Sioux players wanted to leave the court for whatever reason so be it. If the Coyote Fans wanted to boo so be it. The thing I take by reading this board is that many fans probably still feel that the Sioux are the better team. That's certainly possible but becoming more and more unlikely.

I was at the game with my family and was seated at the end zone right next to the students. The comments coming from your student section were so vulgar that I moved after part of the game. I have never heard comments so degrading to women in my life from male students. If that is how these male students treat women on the USD campus, I feel for them. It took the fun out of the day for my family and we had much explaining to do to our kids. I actually talked to the UND coach after the game and mentioned what had happened and he also heard it during the game. He also said that this happens every time they play at USD so I can see why he was concerned after the game. You would be appalled (SP) at what was said. If you want my family to continue to come to games at USD to watch teams that we have a connection to - USD better clean up their act. I think they call it RESPECT.

I definately see a common theme when reading these threads on basketball. First of all I don't remember one, congradulations you are the better team or my/our experience in Vermillion was generally a good one. I saw a team that would rather run off the court than shake hands for whatever reason. I saw ungreatfull fans sitting in the Sioux section. I hear Sioux fans actually being critical multiple times of how USD celebrates their accomplishments. Well I can tell you that the men do the same thing with cutting down the nets when they win the conference regular season or tournament title as well. Minnesota State men did the same thing when they won the conference. Generally teams that win things cut down nets. They do it all the time in D1 when they win their conference tourneys. This isn't unheard of folks. I see a bunch of soar losers actually. Sioux fans also have a long history of being really whiney about referees calls during womens games. I can tell you in years when the Sioux Women were good they got almost every call it would seem. How about the hockey check screne that was set on a USD player during the last second three point attempt. That was such an obvious call that was missed. I can tell you one thing. I have very rarely gone on a road trip and been completely offended by the home crowd. I have heard some very nasty things said by fans, mostly college students. I just let it go right through one ear and out the other. If anyone gets offended by college students they should really not sit close to them. In Vermillion there are plenty of extra seats far away from the students.

I am actually rather shocked that UND fans give almost no credit to their opponents. You have won so damn much that you should show a little grace in defeat once in awhile. It's not a rite of the Sioux Women to win the North Central Region. Whos to say that USD and UND will even make the regional final. Maybe one of them will get knocked off.

I was at the game with my family and was seated at the end zone right next to the students. The comments coming from your student section were so vulgar that I moved after part of the game. I have never heard comments so degrading to women in my life from male students. If that is how these male students treat women on the USD campus, I feel for them. It took the fun out of the day for my family and we had much explaining to do to our kids. I actually talked to the UND coach after the game and mentioned what had happened and he also heard it during the game. He also said that this happens every time they play at USD so I can see why he was concerned after the game. You would be appalled (SP) at what was said. If you want my family to continue to come to games at USD to watch teams that we have a connection to - USD better clean up their act. I think they call it RESPECT.

I look at cheering and chanting in two ways. Saying things like "overrated" or "so and so s**ks" is just part of the game. If it gets to the point of being personal or derogatory/offensive it should be dealt with immediately. If I were Roebuck I would let some official of USD know if there were derogatory things said by any fan. I completely agree that some of the garbage that comes out of fans mouths is unacceptable. security people need to deal with that type of fan behavior, gives warnings and eventually if needed an ejection from the arena.

• 3 months later...

That's how we felt about SDSU when we both started the transition.

But after the Marker was created the football series essentially started anew and now each team is 2-2, with the home team winning every time.

It's gotten really heated the last two years.

I hope that continues well past when NDSU and UND start playing for the Nickel again. And guaranteed they will. If they have to change the one side from an indian head to an interlocking N and D, I personally will guarantee that the Nickel will be played for again in the next 5 years.

I'll make it happen.