National Championship.

flatspin7

Who Will Win?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win?

• U of M
    • UNH

"Keys for the Gophers are..."

HaHaHa. There are no keys for the Gophers. Go up by 2 or 3 goals, win. Go down by 2 or 3 goals, win. This is the ultimate good karma team. They outplay most teams and win. They get outplayed and they still manage to win. Their average goaltenders outgoaltend the other team when needed.

I'm sure I'll get heat for this one, too, but it is oh-so-true. A team has to be good and lucky to win a national title. The Gophers have been good, so it's not like they haven't deserved to win. However, they have also had the most amazing two-season run of good fortune in modern college hockey history.

12 of their 15 postseason games have been played in front of the home crowd.

They were on the receiving end of lopsided officiating against Maine (any neutral observer admits it's true).

They got the key officiating break against Michigan.

As the number 3 seed, they somehow managed to draw the worst team in the tournament as their first-round opponent.

I also think UND got their fair share of breaks for their last two titles (BU takes out Michigan, Niagara takes out UNH, Maine is missing their senior who got DQd the previous game).

But for it to happen two years in a row for MN is remarkable. I would not at all mind if a level-headed Gopher fan came here and agreed with me, rather than bringing out the "whining" label. Because it's true. Luckier than heck. And also good enough with strong enough character to run with their breaks.

I would not at all mind if a level-headed Gopher fan came here and agreed with me...

I'm sure you wouldn't! ;)

Starting the spin already? There is still another game to be played. :)

Lopsided officiating against Maine? The Gophers caught a break with Hauser not getting called for a penalty in OT. That's about all this level-headed Gopher fan will grant you on that one. Saying the officiating was lopsided just is not accurate, IMO.

Yes, the Gophers were fortunate to play the 2002 Frozen Four in their back yard. No rational Minnesota fan would say otherwise. I'm sure there was also a bit more added pressure to win their first title in 23 years in front of a home crowd, and in dealing with the local media frenzy leading up to the Frozen Four. How long had it been since a team won it all in front of a "home" crowd before the Gophers did it last year? I don't recall the exact figure, but I believe it was at least 20 years. But, in the end, playing in St. Paul was a greater positive than the added hype/distraction was a negative.

As far as this year's regional, I don't think it would have mattered where the games were played. The Gophers were, by far, the best team in the regional. I would not mind if a level-headed Sioux fan came here and agreed with me on this. :)

More than anything else the past two years, the Gophers have been "fortunate" to play their best when it matters most. Sure, things have fallen into place nicely, but credit them for not pi$$ing anything away. They had to go about things this year much differently than last. They lost key members of their title team and, quite remarkably, are in a position to do something that hasn't been done in over thirty years. That is a lot less luck than it is recruiting, coaching, hard work, leadership, focus, determination, etc.

In the end, I guess I basically agree with the gist of your post, just not a couple of the particulars. I just hope it's not a set up for discrediting an amazing feat, if accomplished (and from what I've read of you're posts jk, I don't think that's your intent-but I wouldn't be surprised to see others do so).

Its called hockey, not every team plays the same style of play...

gee thanks for clearing that up...this is hockey?? who knew!? i was just saying i don't like how they play. i just don't like them...do i respect them and what they've done this season?? yeah i guess. do i like them and how they play??? no, not really. do i like their style of play?? ummm, not really because to me, it seems that they will play dirty hockey.

I also think UND got their fair share of breaks for their last two titles (BU takes out Michigan, Niagara takes out UNH, Maine is missing their senior who got DQd the previous game). 

But for it to happen two years in a row for MN is remarkable.  I would not at all mind if a level-headed Gopher fan came here and agreed with me, rather than bringing out the "whining" label.  Because it's true.  Luckier than heck.  And also good enough with strong enough character to run with their breaks.

Level-headed Gopher fan?!?! C'mon we don't exist! :)

Seriously tho, like you said taking advantage of good fortune is a sign of a good team, you HAVE to make good on the things that luck turns out for you in ANYTHING you do in life.

I'll leave the reffing comments alone (I don't want to start a "discussion") beyond when has anyone ever been able to be really "neutral"....

With a single game elimination schedule, luck ALWAYS will play a part in who wins it all, and gets to take home hardware, I would never dispute that. But besides luck, it also takes a team who doesn't give up and works hard to get thru the tough parts of a game/season...therein lies the grit that the Gophers have shown the past two years.

WPoS

I'm sure I'll get heat for this one, too, but it is oh-so-true. A team has to be good and lucky to win a national title. The Gophers have been good, so it's not like they haven't deserved to win. However, they have also had the most amazing two-season run of good fortune in modern college hockey history.

To win the NCAA hockey title you need the following:

1. Have a great team.

2. Get a good draw. ie: Avoid Michigan in Michigan.

3. Get the bounces/calls.

The Gophers satisfy #1 and they earned the good draw this year. They may not have technically deserved Mercyhurst, but the Gophers were Frozen Four bound as soon as CC got sent to Michigan.

Last year they got very lucky on #2, any other year and MSU would have gone east and the Gophers would have had the Michigan draw.

Last year they clearly got the breaks and they seized the oppurtunities. It was only one year before when P. Martin was whistled for phantom hook allowing Maine to tie the game on the PP.

Last years Gopher run was very similar to the '97 ND run. The way the brackets fell, the Gophers in my opinion were a clear favorite in each game played. The Gophers avoided argueably the best two other teams in DU and UNH. In '97 the Sioux avoided the Gophers and Michigan. If the brackets would have followed the PWR, the Gophers and Sioux would have met in the Quarters.

This years Gopher run is hopefully like the '00 Sioux. Cruise to the Frozen Four, then face two brutal opponents.

UNH had "great luck" against Cornell with a disallowed goal and a save off the mask in the closing seconds. Hopefully UNH's luck has run out and the Gophers can tap it one more time.

Luck is the point where hard work and preperation meet. - John Wooden

Have the Gophers been lucky? Absolutely. More importantly, have the Gophers capitalized on these opportunities? Recently, yes.

For every Final Five championship the Gophers have won at the X, there is also a loss.

For every overtime win in the NCAA's played in St. Paul, there is an OT loss.

For every regional championship at Mariucci, there is a DNQ.

I think every great team to win a Title just has that intangible "It" ... where everything goes right, and their play is solid when it really counts. The '00 Sioux team had It, even when they went into the locker room down to BC. BC had It, but almost lost It in '01. Minnesota has It this season, and had It last season. UNH doesn't know **It. :);)

I think every great team to win a Title just has that intangible "It" ... where everything goes right, and their play is solid when it really counts. The '00 Sioux team had It, even when they went into the locker room down to BC. BC had It, but almost lost It in '01. Minnesota has It this season, and had It last season. UNH doesn't know **It. :);)

Hey Scott isn't it called Good Karma...