SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU football schedule

sioux7

I usually wouldn't reply to a UND hockey forum but since it veered off to something of a NDSU hater post. Yes, I didn't agree with the article in the Spectrum. But why should you guys care what the Spectrum publishes. I don't care what the UND paper publishes. IT IS JUST A STUDENT NEWSPAPER. There is envy which goes both ways. NDSU is envious of the Division I publicity UND gets with hockey. UND is envious of the publicity the NDSU football and success the team has had in the past. UND must have been envious of the NDSU's FargoDome. Otherwise, no new stadium would have been built there. Lets face the facts. There is envy which goes both ways. This is rivalry. Envy goes with a rivalry. Whenever one school does something that is better then the other, the other is going to be envious of them. Sure, we are going to post things that go bad for the other school but if you look at the bisonville or bisoninsider site, you will see very little useless knowledge posted like this post has turned into.

Nice, very nice. There is and always will be envy on the part of NDSU to be like UND. This should add more fule to the fire. I see your D-1 football team scheduled a D-III powerhouse in Concordia of St. Paul. Perfect.

sioux7 Posted on Apr 4 2003, 09:42 AM

I see your D-1 football team scheduled a D-III powerhouse in Concordia of St. Paul. Perfect.

FYI sioux7

Concordia is a Division II school in the Northern Sun. They beat Crookson 48-7 last year. Their only losses were to Duluth and Winona.

FYI sioux7

Concordia is a Division II school in the Northern Sun. They beat Crookson 48-7 last year. Their only losses were to Duluth and Winona.

I stand corrected. It still does not justify scheduling them. Man NDSU must have paid those boys a ton of bucks to play them.

BISON PLAY CONCORDIA ST.PAUL

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Wow... I must say NDSU is really extending their limits, maybe somewhere deep down they need to put a game on the sched where they know they would win!!!! What next? Fargo South High School? Valley Middle School? North Dakota School for the Blind? :D

I mean that is really pathetic!!!

Looking at UND we have Crookston that is still an NSIC team and Newberry College is in the South Atlantic Conference both D2 teams!!!! St. Paul Concordia is in the MIAC a true "powerhouse in DIII (3 :p ) ball!

C'mon NDSU if you really want to go up do D1AA don't play MIAC teams... Thats dumb. ;)

flatspin7 Posted on Apr 4 2003, 10:05 AM

C'mon NDSU if you really want to go up do D1AA don't play MIAC teams... Thats dumb.

Sometimes you just need to repeat yourself.

sioux7 Posted on Apr 4 2003, 10:18 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concordia St. Paul also barely beat MSU and had a gutting performance against Concordia, Moorhead. Scheduling them is stretch at best. 

It was actually Concordia, NE, not Concordia-Moorhead.

FINALLY, A SIOUX FAN WITH SOME INTELLIGENT MESSAGING!!! You guys before TeamSioux are speaking before thinking. How can you guys talk how bad the Bison schedule is before looking at your own? Lets just do a little comparing in the scheduling:

Bison Game 1: Tusculum 7-4, last year, 5th place in the South Atlantic Conf.

Sioux Game 1: Minnesota-Crookston 1-10, last year, last place in NSIC.

Bison Game 2: at Montana 11-3, quarterfinalist in I-AA playoff, tied for Big Sky Conference crown

Sioux Game 2: at Mesa State, 5-6, third place in RMAC

Bison Game 3: California-Davis, 9-3, independent, quarterfinalist in D2 playoff.

Sioux Game 3: Newberry 1-10, last year, last place in South Atlantic Conf.

Bison Game 4: Concordia-St. Paul, 9-2, third place in NSIC

Sioux Game 4: no game scheduled (as of yet)

Lets compare. NDSU's non-conference opponents total combined records from last year: 36-12 (.750 winning pct). UND's combine opponents total combined records from last year: 7-26 (.269 winning pct). This isn't even going into the fact that Montana and Cal-Davis are a higher class. Even if we would throw that out, I suggest Sioux fans look for facts before posting how bad our scheduling is. You better look in the mirror first.

And the only team with a decent record, Mesa St., was trounced by UND 66-7 last year....and they also have huge plroblems in their Athletic Dept. with finances. I think as Sioux fans we deserve at least one decent game a year. We got crap for our "cupcake" schedule in hockey, well Holy Sh*t, this is even worse!!

Even if the Concordia that SU scheduled was the D3 school, their opponents are still much better than ours. And I don't want to hear anything about it is because of them going D1....they year after year schedule at least one team, usually two that are consistently nationally ranked. How can UND never get one in here?

I also agree that our non-conference schedule is very weak and less than exciting. We had always said that we couldn't afford to pay the guarantee that good DII programs require to travel to ND (something that SU has been able to do for years). I believe that this was true - until we moved into the Alerus. With a quality opponent, we would have at least 10,000 people in attendance - we should be able to provide decent guarantees now.

None of us better be giving SU fans any grief about their schedule!!!

With thanks to Tony from the Bison board, here is a great example of how bad UND's non-conference schedule is. Look at Mankato's especially. So UND is the only one to face all team with losing records. Great job by the ADept. on this one. They want your money and support, but give us this!!

NDSU:

Montana (DI-AA playoff team 11-3)

Cal-Davis (DII playoff team 9-3)

Tusculum (DII 7-4)

Concordia St. Paul (DII 9-2)

MnSt-Mankato

Northern Colorado (DII playoff team 12-2)

Northwest Missouri St. (DII playoff team, 12-1)

Minnesota Duluth (DII playoff team 11-1)

Bemidji St. (DII 6-5)

SDSU:

Northwest Missouri St. (DII playoff team, 12-1)

Winona State (DII 8-4)

Western Oregon (5-5)

Nebraska-Omaha:

Indiana PA (DII playoff team 11-2)

Nebraska Kearney (DII playoff team 9-2)

Western Washington (DII 6-4)

MnSt-Moorhead (5-5)

St. Cloud St.:

Pittsburg St (DII 8-3)

Western Washington (DII 6-4)

Northern State - SD (DII 4-7)

Crookston (DII 1-10)

USD:

Minnesota Duluth (DII playoff team 11-1)

Concordia St. Paul (DII 9-2)

Wisconsin LaCrosse (DIII 7-4)

Lincoln (NAIA 4-7)

Augustana:

Northern Colorado (DII playoff team 12-2)

Northern State - SD (DII 4-7)

Southwest State - MN (DII 4-7)

Wisconsin Stout (DIII 7-3)

UND:

Mesa State (DII 5-6)

Newberry (DII 1-10)

Crookston (DII 1-10)

We probably can't complain much about Mesa State, as I'm pretty sure that a home-and-home contract was entered into last year, and Mesa was coming off a pretty respectable year in 2001 (7-4). I don't think it would be worth it to buy-out of the contract at this point.

Crookston is a joke. This is apparently either the result of laziness in not trying to schedule anyone better, or else maybe Roger and the UMC A.D. are good friends. I have no idea, but there's no excuse for having this game for the fourth year in a row. I doubt there's a single UND fan who relishes the idea of watching this game again.

As for Newberry, it's entirely possible that they are bad, too. But they do play in a pretty good league (Catawba and Carson-Newman), they scored 26 against Catawba and 36 against Carson-Newman last year, and they return their entire starting offensive unit. So in other words, it's just as possible that they'll be decent this year, too, or at a minimum a pretty good challenge for the Sioux defense.

Even though the UND non-conference schedule is sub-par, at least we don't have St. Cloud's home schedule this year. They only have four (out of eleven) games at home, and three of them are against Northern State, Augie and USD. And it's kind of surprising that they would agree to play AT Crookston, particularly when they only have one out of their four non-conference games at home.