SiouxSports.com Forum

Brandt and Josh Johnson leaving

UND92,96

Jeff Brandt and Josh Johnson are not returning for their senior seasons:

Herald article

Johnson's departure makes a certain amount of sense because he just hasn't ever shown much ability, but Brandt? Sure, he had a poor season, but he has shown to be a very solid NCC player.

The good news is that it opens up some scholarship money to get some players who will help immediately, i.e. juco transfers. Between Mike Johnson, Rypkema, Lindahl, Jahner, Aaron Austin, Adam Jacobson, Josh Doyle, Steve Bradley, and two or three jucos, the team should still be alright next season.

The good news is that it opens up some scholarship money to get some players who will help immediately, i.e. juco transfers.

That will help UND get some Juco's. With Billeter coaching in Augustana there will be more competition for those Juco's. I can see him turning that program around in a couple years. He always found good talent at that level, and is a good coach.

That will help UND get some Juco's.  With Billeter coaching in Augustana there will be more competition for those Juco's.  I can see him turning that program around in a couple years.  He always found good talent at that level, and is a good coach.

I'm not convinced that Billiter is going to do much at Augie. He's kind of returning to division II with his tail between his legs. He left NDSU in order to get a dI job within a few years, and he failed. Even Ray G. was able to do that and he wasn't anywhere near as successful as Billiter at NDSU. At the time Billiter was at NDSU, UND recruited relatively few jucos, and the program suffered as a result since the more successful programs were getting those players. While UND is not at a point where they were in the early 90's, the program is pretty solid for the most part recruiting a mixture of high school players and jucos and/or dI transfers.

While recruiting jucos is not something everyone agrees with, I have no problems with having from two to four on the team at one time. Any more than that and you risk losing any sort of continuity in the program in that you have to rebuild every couple of years.

I think UND will have a pretty good team with the likes of high school recruits Lindahl, Rypkema, Johnson, Jahner, Bradley, Doyle and Gutter, and transfers Austin, Jacobson, and perhaps two to three others. At least one, and probably two power forward/post players are needed, along with possibly another true point guard.

I'm not convinced that Billiter is going to do much at Augie.
I would consider Billiter on a list right behind Nagy and Boots for coaching ability in the NCC. Billiter also sounds very happy to be back in the Conference. Attitude has a lot to do with success. That's my opinion.

Lindahl, Rypkema, Johnson, Jahner, Bradley, Doyle and Gutter, and transfers Austin, Jacobson

There is some good potential on this list. Is Godfread doing anything at Northern Iowa? Would he be a transfer candidate for Division II?

Is Godfread doing anything at Northern Iowa?  Would he be a transfer candidate for Division II?

I don't mean to disparage the kid's game, but after watching him in high school and considering he averaged less than 2 points and 2 boards a game at UNI this year, I don't think he would have much, if any impact in the NCC. He's big, but he doesn't play big and he's not very aggressive. I think Kyle Nelson is a much better prospect, and Nelson would at least have four years of eligibility instead of the two Godfread has left.

Brandt leaving is a gift to this BB team. He had become a liability on the floor with his defense and inability to take good shots. He would fire up 24 footers at the most inappropriate times. Just not a smart ball player, he hasn't really improved since his freshmen year....his perimeter D has become better, but was still a liability on D. With Austin, MJ and Jacobsen the team still has plenty of wings and now this opens up money to bring in others that will help the program much more than Brandt (and Johnson) have or will. Johnson will only be missed if Glas can't find some other posts. JJ was only a minutes eater who didn't do a whole lot to hurt the team, but didn't do a whole to help either.

These were two more recruiting blunders of Glas' when he was recruiting only locally. He had a monoploly on the 1999 second tier players from ND...and that usually is not going to do it in the NCC. Now just Jahner and Dahl left and I doubt there is too much money being wasted there. Hopefully Glas has seen the light and realizes he needs more than local talent to win in the NCC....because if he hasn't by now after the last 10 years or so, maybe he should be somewhere else and let us bring a coach who can win at this level. It sure would be nice to bring success back to the Sioux men's team. It has been a while!!

Wednesday, July 3

Updated: April 1, 12:47 PM ET

Class of 2003: Top 20 centers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Mark Mayemura

Special to ESPN.com

The fall signing period is underway. Here's our rankings of the top high school senior centers and where they have committed to play next fall:

Rankings as of Oct. 26:

Top 20 Centers 

Player  Ht.  School/City  College

Commitment 

1. Martin Iti  6-11  Mount Zion Academy

Durham, N.C.  Charlotte 

2. Kendrick Perkins  6-10  Ozen H.S.

Beaumont, Texas  Memphis 

3. James Lang  6-11  Central Park Christian H.S.

Birmingham, Ala  Louisville 

4. David Padgett  7-0  Reno H.S.

Reno, Nev.  Kansas 

5. Brian Butch  6-11  West H.S.

Appleton, Wis.  Wisconsin 

6. Major Wingate  6-10  Wilson H.S.

Florence, S.C.  Tennessee 

7. Darryl Watkins  6-10  Paterson Catholic H.S.

Paterson, N.J.  North Dakota

8. Jackie Butler  6-10  McComb H.S.

McComb, Miss.  Mississippi State 

9. Shagari Alleyne  7-3  Rice H.S.

New York, N.Y.  Rutgers 

10. Mitch Platt  6-10  Green Valley H.S.

Las Vegas, Nev.  Oregon 

Just saw this on ESPN.

How did you guys manage this one?

How much are you paying him? Why would he go to UND?

This is amazing!

I guess you guys got us on this one.

New Jersey Center selects Division II North Dakota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Bill Hodge

CollegeSports.com

Class 2003 center Darryl Watkins of Paterson Catholic HS, Paterson, NJ., has chosen North Dakota over Marquette, Louisville, South Carolina, Indiana, East Carolina and Mississippi. Watkins averaged 34 points and 14 rebounds for Paterson. Photo by April M Phools

Looks like NDSU also had some basketball defections. Shawn Gabbert, Tyrone "The Travelling Man" Terry, and Jason Smith won't be back. Terry is really an enigma. He was North Dakota's Mr. Basketball a few years back. He originally committed to UND after his junior year, then changed his mind and went to division I Texas-San Antonio, then transferred to NDSU, now is transferring to Valley City State.

UND92,96 Posted on Apr 1 2003, 06:31 PM

Looks like NDSU also had some basketball defections. Shawn Gabbert, Tyrone "The Travelling Man" Terry, and Jason Smith won't be back. Terry is really an enigma. He was North Dakota's Mr. Basketball a few years back. He originally committed to UND after his junior year, then changed his mind and went to division I Texas-San Antonio, then transferred to NDSU, now is transferring to Valley City State. 

Looks like even more competition for the Juco's. That is five extra scholarships now available between the two schools.

I don't know this for a fact, but I doubt there's a whole lot of head-to-head competition between NCC schools over a particular juco player, unless he's playing at NDSCS, Fergus Falls, Lake Region, or another school in the immediate area. Considering how many junior colleges there are all over the country and that the coaches/asst. coaches probably all have various different connections, I'd be surprised if they run across each other all that often recruiting the same junior college player(s).

UND92,96 Posted on Apr 2 2003, 08:03 AM

I don't know this for a fact, but I doubt there's a whole lot of head-to-head competition between NCC schools over a particular juco player, unless he's playing at NDSCS, Fergus Falls, Lake Region, or another school in the immediate area

Maybe competition is too strong of a word. Coaches have a good idea of who is available around the country. Just depends on how the players fit into their programs. Sometimes the players contact the school.

• 3 weeks later...

I rather doubt the reception will be too warm. Especially after what Johnson stated as his reason for leaving earlier. I wonder what the reaction of the team was after they heard he was going to now play and not "focus" on his teaching career. It sure doesn't bother me to lose these players because they were nothing special, but I happen to think they betrayed UND and its fans. It took them 4 years here to figure out this wasn't right for them?? Kind of unusual, its not like they were far from home and had to make adjustments. Their reasons seemed like copouts to me, but that is just my opinion.

The only reason I even remotely wish they had stayed was just to have some experienced players on the team, especially people who understand the riggers of the NCC.

• 2 months later...

I see that Brandt's little brother has signed with Minot St for BB. He is a wing that averaged 10.5ppg and 4+ rpg for Minot High. Hopefully the younger one doesn't shoot as many off-balanced 27 footers like Jeff or there will not be enough BB's to go around for the rest of the team.

• 1 month later...

A source in the Minot State Athletic department told me off the record, Brandt and Johnson didn't like all the committment and seriousness surrounding the Sioux. They didn't like all the required offseason workouts (practices) and social functions they had to attend.

Attended a Holiday tournament a couple years ago at the Dome in Minot. At tipoff for the noon game between MSU and Black Hills State, there were maybe 50 people there, and that included the scorekeepers and announcers. It was the weirdest thing ever. I'm not dissing MSU or their fans here because I remember from the 80s when they had powerhouse teams and packed the dome, but Brandt and Johnson go from playing in front of a lot of huge crowds to an atmosphere like that. Kind of funny when you think of it. Good Luck to them, just too bad they couldn't be men and actually say why they were leaving.

Not that it's a huge deal, but I wonder if maybe Johnson has reconsidered playing at Minot St.? I recently checked out their athletic website, and while the press release regarding Brandt is still there, the Johnson release, which I believe came after the Brandt one, is no longer there. Also, I saw Johnson (or someone who looked exactly like him) jogging in Grand Forks earlier this week which leads me to think maybe he is still attending UND.

I also notice that UND is playing AT Minot St. again this year. I really wish Glas would quit scheduling road games with DAC-10 opponents. The Sioux typically play worse against really bad teams on the road (i.e. Minot St. and UMC) than against a good NCC team, and those types of losses are really embarrassing. Knowing Brandt, this will be the one game where he catches fire and goes off for 30-plus points. If you're going to play on the road during the non-conference season, at least play against a good division II team or even a division I team.

Speaking of scheduling, this year's non-conference schedule includes just five home games and six road games! What's up with that?

Speaking of scheduling, this year's non-conference schedule includes just five home games and six road games! What's up with that?

[speculation]

With the BB teams moving year, why not go on the road now and have a more "home loaded" schedule for the next few seasons. Just the chance to go and see The Ralph may lure in more visiting fans (which is more revenue for UND Athletics).

[/speculation]

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Sicatoka, but my qualm is with the fact that UND is a little too willing to travel to schools like Minot St., UMary, UMC, etc. I wouldn't complain if the Sioux had home-and-home agreements with Kearney, Kentucky Wesleyan, Metro St., etc. and that resulted in a disproportionately high number of road games in a given season. I just have a philosophical disagreement with playing on the road against NAIA or fringe dII programs more often than perhaps once per year, at most.

I am assuming that some of these games are an effort to "give something back" by playing in other ND or area cities. However, unless these road games will likely draw crowds numbering in the thousands rather than hundreds (which rarely seems to happen), then they aren't worth it, in my opinion. If the reasons for these road games are simply due to the refusal of Minot St., etc. to agree to play on the road unless UND reciprocates, then drop them from the schedule altogether and find some other NAIA or dIII school to bring in periodically to fill out the schedule.

By way of comparison, a quick perusal of other NCC teams' schedules reveals only one other road game by an NCC team at an NAIA opponent, that being by UNO. UND is playing two in one year. I just don't see the point of this.

• 1 month later...