SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Center Ice

Redneksioux

Having seen the same game at the same time in both formats I agree there is a difference although I don't think it is all that huge. I believe the difference is pretty subtle, and yes I have 20/20 vision. I think it's like Coke and Pepsi, merely a matter of personal preference. The companies who stand to make a lot of money off the sales of HD equipment are promoting it as the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, but I'm not buying into the hype. Someday if and when standard format becomes extinct I will obviously have no choice, but I'll stick with standard format for as long as it is available. Call me old-school or call me a grumpy old man who is set in his ways, but I'm not wasting my money on that overpriced equipment.

i'll go with old school and a guy who is for sure set in his ways :)

OK, if you think HD and standard definition look similar, something wasn't right in the setup. Just because the TV was an HDTV doesn't mean HD was hooked up to it, making it look the same. Also, if you get a cheap HDTV, it can and will make a difference in quality as well. If you have all of this, make sure you're on the HD channel and not the standard channel.

OK, if you think HD and standard definition look similar, something wasn't right in the setup. Just because the TV was an HDTV doesn't mean HD was hooked up to it, making it look the same. Also, if you get a cheap HDTV, it can and will make a difference in quality as well. If you have all of this, make sure you're on the HD channel and not the standard channel.

Agreed. Buffalo Wild Wings (north Fargo) has been airing a lot of stuff from ESPN HD the last couple of times I have been there. The only problem, they are airing it on old projectors that are not HD, so you get letterboxes at top and bottom.

I think a lot of the people who "don't think there is that much of a difference", haven't watched real HD. People think if you have an HDTV, you have HD...it doesn't work that way.

Well, in addition to the Packers/Eagles game at Tailgators I've seen a lot of different HD setups on display at Best Buy over the past few years and have yet to be blown away by any of them. They can't all be hooked up wrong, can they? I'm not saying that what I saw was bad, it just wasn't anything that I would be willing to pay extra for.

Fair enough...

I live in apartment with 2 HDTV's, a 42" Plasma in the living room and a 37" LCD in my bedroom. I don't even watch the other channels, just the HD ones. A bad program (to me) on HD is better than a decent program on standard cable.

Midco blows for HD channels tho....no Fox and no ABC.

Fair enough...

I live in apartment with 2 HDTV's, a 42" Plasma in the living room and a 37" LCD in my bedroom. I don't even watch the other channels, just the HD ones. A bad program (to me) on HD is better than a decent program on standard cable.

Midco blows for HD channels tho....no Fox and no ABC.

That's why I haven't made the switch yet. I haven't felt that the programming was there yet to justify the extra expense. When it is then it's likely the price will be more affordable.

Late adopters make out like bandits.

That's why I haven't made the switch yet. I haven't felt that the programming was there yet to justify the extra expense. When it is then it's likely the price will be more affordable.

Late adopters make out like bandits.

Well, you do get quite a few channels that aren't offered for standard cable. National Geographic and Discovery in HD are almost worth it alone, if you like those types of channels. I think it is a little pricey, but is worth it.

Well, in addition to the Packers/Eagles game at Tailgators I've seen a lot of different HD setups on display at Best Buy over the past few years and have yet to be blown away by any of them. They can't all be hooked up wrong, can they? I'm not saying that what I saw was bad, it just wasn't anything that I would be willing to pay extra for.

Wow, you saw it in another setting where one source is split to several TV's. Did you know that the "HD" at most stores is actually a regular DVD? Did you know that people are messing with the settings all day and the TV may not be properly calibrated. A store also has lighting setups that you would never have in your home. Feel free to comment after you have really had an HD experience.

Well, you do get quite a few channels that aren't offered for standard cable. National Geographic and Discovery in HD are almost worth it alone, if you like those types of channels. I think it is a little pricey, but is worth it.

Well you may be right, but my other problem is I rarely get to watch anything on the "main" tv. So my wife would probably be watching Dr. Philbert while I'm cowering in the basement watching on the old TV anyhoo.

I do watch a lot of the Discovery Channel stuff so maybe it's not that far away for me.