SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 regionals

YaneA

I have an idea. Since the 2005 Midwest regional site is yet to be determined, why doesn't Engelstad Arena bid for it? I know the "West" regional that year has been awarded to Mariucci, but why not just switch the geographic designations, with the Grand Forks Engelstad site becoming the West regional and Mariucci the Midwest? Aren't the geographic designations pretty arbitrary, anyway?

Showing my ignorance here, but aren't this year's East and Northeast sites (Providence, R.I., and Worcester, Mass.) as close or closer to each other than Minneapolis and Grand Forks?

PCM, as our "elder" spokesman who sailed with Columbus in 1492, perhaps you can answer the geography question?

Engelstad is set to host the West in 2006 so we know we are an acceptable venue. But, maybe we would have too much on our plate to host in March 2005 what with the World Juniors here 3 months earlier?

Discuss.

:D Why not! I'm sure they would have no problem what so ever on selling that out. As for the World Juniors, 3 months prior to the Regional, it doesn't seem to me that a regional tourney of 3 games would put a strain on REA at any time.

As for the semantics of "West" vs. "Midwest" regional, it doesnt really matter. Geographically, I have always considered Grand Forks and Minneapolis to be in the Midwest. But I guess the only teams that are more west than UND are CC, DU, Airforce, UAA, UAFairbanks, and maybe UNO. I know that CC is hosting a regional next year (I think) and I really dont think the NCAA will fly teams out to Alaska to a regional.

On another issue doesnt it seem like the Gophers have been gifted home Ice to the frozen four. They had home ice for the 1st round, granted that was thier own doing. Then the final 5 was at Xcel, while not Mariucci im sure the "home town fans" tend to come out in droves. Now the regional is at the UofM, hmmmmm. Oh yeah and where was the frozen four last year? Oh yeah--- XCEL. I'm not taking anything away from the Gopher team they are not a bad team (can't be too nice can I :) ) but home / local ice never hurts anything.

Anywhoo after the Sioux are done with the regional the home ice will be a world of hurt for the Gophers!! :p:lol: I hope

Lets go Sioux... Have a wonderful day!!

And of course, it's in the WCHA and NCAA bylaws that MN is automatically allocated a spot in all the above tournaments if either is played in the Twin Cities. In fact, if MN had lost to CC last year's regional (at Yost, BTW) CC was told they would have to forfeit its spot to MN. Same with MTU at the Final Five this year.

Lets get real here. MN hosted the 2000 NCAA regional and was no where near being invited. They host it again in 2005 and there is no gaurentee. I'm still looking for the 2002 Broadmore banner at Maruicci because since it was played at the X MN must have won it. right? MN hosted the Final Four in 1989, 1991, & 1994 and I don't remember celebrating a national title. Hell, I think the Forks hosted the NCAA Frozen Four in '83 (?) and the local green team did not win it then. It just happens the timing has been fortunate for MN - nothing more and nothing less.

As to the original idea - I like it. It seems 3 out of every 4 of the "old west" regionals were in Michigan somewhere and I'd love to see the CCHA fans whine and squirm some.

1983, yes, the green team was not selected for the tourney, even though they were arguably on par with Wisco, who won it. The NCAA selections went to Gophs, Wisco, and MDU. Gophs and Wisco belonged but MDU had finished below the Sioux. A travesty, and still the only FF I've seen in person.

Would be great to steal the western regional from Michigan. No complaints for the TC regionals and FF, they put in their bid and got it; nothing else matters.

Sioux need to make the regionals in 2006; that way, not matter how they are seeded, they stay at home as the host team (or one would assume so).

The more I think about my original idea, the better I like it. If the Engelstad wants to be taken seriously as a "destination venue," then it needs to be able to handle back to back spectacles like the World Juniors and the 2005 regional, West, Midwest, whatever you want to call it. I have no idea how much time it takes to "ramp up" for a regional but the Engelstad should be able to handle both events and, if they pull off such a stunt, that's certainly got to add to their salabilty/marketability for even bigger, better and more events in the future. I think they should go for it.

Ditch the Basketball. This town is 60% hockey 30% football plus a little basketball and a lot of beer!!!

I some how think that the Ralph could bring in more money for hockey, I figure that alone could motivate them to get more hockey!!

While it would be nice, a 2005 regional won't be at REA. The Division II Men's Elite 8 is set for March 23-26, 2005. The regional would be March 25-27.

REA's best chance at a regional before the one in 2006 was this year. Minnesota got it despite the fact they are hosting the D1 Regional finals at the Dome the same weekend. Oh well. We should feel thankful to be getting the 2006 regional.

More bad news, a news report in the GF Herald states that UND is proposing that a new bb facility be built just west of the REA's olympic sized rink. It would seat 3,200 and most of the bb games would be played in the 12,000 main arena. Scheduling conflicts with hockey would put the bb teams into the new 3,200 seat addition. The WCHA says that it would work around UND's bb schedule. This could be a disaster, and not just from a hockey schedule standpoint, because the more time insulation and the portable bb floor are on the ice the worse the ice condition will become. BB needs their own stand alone facility. It was my understanding that the long range plans included turning the OLd Ralph into the bb and volleyball center. That would be perfect.

DG

I was that same impression that when UND renovated Hyslop to become a Wellness Center (fancy word for GYM) they were going to put a sports bubble type thing over Memorial Stadium, Build a new facility for the Athletic deptartment, and then turn Old Ralph into a Combo Volleyball and B-Ball facility.

Is REA actually talking about having Hockey and Basketball going on in the same building at the same time???!!!:lol: Sounds trully DUMB. Looks like REA is trying to figure out more ways to take money from the rest of the Univeristy. Like when student tickets used to be free.