SiouxSports.com Forum

A 12-Team WCHA

Shawn-O

The NCAA freeze on D-I move-ups had me thinkin' (and I've been drinkin') about the future of college hockey. The CHA needs to be toast. Four 12 team leagues and one 11 team league, assuming no drops or adds, is what needs to happen (60 would be nirvana, 58 would be fine, too). Speculate on the reshuffle however you like, but here's one scenario. How about the two Alaska schools together in our league...(which they say can't be done). It would require six trips to Alaska every five years, but I think it's doable. Nothing earth shattering here, just the CCHA cluster system with the rivalries built in. Marquee teams at the REA 3 out of 5 years instead of 3 out of 4, but I'd take it. Discuss.

P.S Bemidji gets in too.

Hypothetical_WCHA_Grid.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i definitely think uaa and uaf need to be in the same league... the ccha :whistling: . and bsu and uno should be in the wcha. my only complaints are that bsu NEEDS a new arena to be in the wcha and uno is full of a bunch of clowns imo. and they suck too. and mtu would be the switch with uno. it would be nice if we could just pick up bsu(with a new arena) and give mtu to the ccha.

i definitely think uaa and uaf need to be in the same league... the ccha :whistling: . and bsu and uno should be in the wcha. my only complaints are that bsu NEEDS a new arena to be in the wcha and uno is full of a bunch of clowns imo. and they suck too. and mtu would be the switch with uno. it would be nice if we could just pick up bsu(with a new arena) and give mtu to the ccha.

bsu is in the process of getting a new arena

send uaa out to ccha with uaf and bsu in, makes sense travel wise and fans wise and bsu is better than uaa every year.hell they go .500 whenever they play wcha teams...

Small school. Small fan base. They wouldn't bring any additional exposure to the WCHA at all. Even if they do get their new arena, it is going to be very small compared to WCHA arenas.

The only way I would want to see the WCHA expand is if it is with schools that have name recognition or bring some definate positives to the league.

Small school. Small fan base. They wouldn't bring any additional exposure to the WCHA at all. Even if they do get their new arena, it is going to be very small compared to WCHA arenas.

The only way I would want to see the WCHA expand is if it is with schools that have name recognition or bring some definate positives to the league.

so if you had to choose between uaa and bemidji what would it be? i highly doubt uaa brings in big wcha exposure as it is, they are building a ice program at d-1 level and can beat half of the teams in the wcha right now, my feeling is that they are very close to many wcha teams, have the players to compete in the wcha, the building will come even if its not a palace and it makes sense travel wise and financialy. hopefully someday they get in

UN-Omaha is the only team out there that would fit your criteria....and I do think they'd be a great addition.

so if you had to choose between uaa and bemidji what would it be? i highly doubt uaa brings in big wcha exposure as it is, they are building a ice program at d-1 level and can beat half of the teams in the wcha right now, my feeling is that they are very close to many wcha teams, have the players to compete in the wcha, the building will come even if its not a palace and it makes sense travel wise and financialy. hopefully someday they get in

Can I pick neither? Just kidding. Nothing against Bemidji but they are just not the type of school/program that I would want to see added to the WCHA. I don't want to give up games against the traditional rivals for conference games against BSU. As far as exposure, UAA does bring more than BSU would. There are already 4 Minnesota schools in the conference. The state of Minnesota is pretty well convered. However, UAA is the only Alaska school in the conference.

As far as the proposed Bemidji Regional Events Center, I don't expect a school to have a palace as an arena. But the BREC will only seat 3,500. I would like to see any new schools to be able to pull in at least 5-6,000 fans or more.

I also don't want to see any college hockey programs disappear. I would really like to see college hockey as a whole work to stabilize the CHA and work on finding new college hockey programs. I also would like to see UND continue the home/home series with BSU. I understand that they have to pay their bills and their fans want to see home games. Also, come time for playoffs, BSU is a good non-conference series to have on your schedule.

Can I pick neither? Just kidding. Nothing against Bemidji but they are just not the type of school/program that I would want to see added to the WCHA. I don't want to give up games against the traditional rivals for conference games against BSU. As far as exposure, UAA does bring more than BSU would. There are already 4 Minnesota schools in the conference. The state of Minnesota is pretty well convered. However, UAA is the only Alaska school in the conference.

As far as the proposed Bemidji Regional Events Center, I don't expect a school to have a palace as an arena. But the BREC will only seat 3,500. I would like to see any new schools to be able to pull in at least 5-6,000 fans or more.

I also don't want to see any college hockey programs disappear. I would really like to see college hockey as a whole work to stabilize the CHA and work on finding new college hockey programs. I also would like to see UND continue the home/home series with BSU. I understand that they have to pay their bills and their fans want to see home games. Also, come time for playoffs, BSU is a good non-conference series to have on your schedule.

well i guess the way i look at it is....the cha will be gone very soon, if bemidji needs a home the wcha makes full sense in many ways. add 2 more teams then to make it even..somehow

I don't think you'll hear any argument here. But for the next four years, anyway, new hockey programs will have to come from the ranks of Division I. No playing up in one sport, per the four-year moratorium. Looking at the existing D-I's, I just don't see any startups happening, but I hope I'm wrong. Syracuse is a possibility, I guess.

I see both sides of the story here. I would definitely like to see the home and home series with the beavers become a mainstay, but I don't think they fit in the WCHA (unless we can unload UAA or MTU). On the flip side, the CHA is going to be history, so something needs to be done. I don't like to idea of adding teams because we lose games against some of the old rivals. Ideally college hockey could grow with a few new programs and the leagues could be rearranged a bit. I don't know why some of the big schools such as Iowa, Nebraska, or numerous out east could not add a hockey program (thanks title IX :whistling: ). If college hockey does not get any new programs, then it's a tough situation, you don't want to lose the teams in the CHA because there isn't enough teams in their conference. Niagara, BSU and Ala.-Huntsville have all been competitive in recent years, so it is not like they are second class teams. One final note... the trip to Bemidji would be a close road series to go to, always a plus.

I could care less who comes in, BSU, UNO, AF, doesn't matter. I would just like to have a couple more home games out of the deal and reduce the gaps of no games during the middle of the season.

Adding teams to the league would not increase the number of league games. All it would do is decrease the number of games against traditional rivals.

I have heard some talk about Canadian colleges applying to the NCAA. University of Brittish Columbia comes to mind. I can't remember the other.

It would be kind of nice to add someone that has a big fan base...

That is ten years down the road....fast tracked. Personally, I don't ever see it happening, but I don't follow it as closely as some others.

That's obvious. You're missing my point. If they add teams, I would simply like a couple more home games. It'll never happen though.

The WCHA will not add more league games until the NCAA allows more overall games. And, I agree, that is unlikely to ever happen.

If we could add more games, I'd be okay with expansion. But until then, I'm against expansion.

In order to help stabilize the CHA, I'm willing to donate MSU from the WCHA. That way we can finally dispense with Donnie Lucifier's crapsack schedule rotation and the moronic "traditional rival" designations.

Better donate one more....the league schedule won't be going over the 28 games anytime soon.

Better donate one more....the league schedule won't be going over the 28 games anytime soon.

You're right. I was thinking they went to the current format when MSU was added, but something else must have happened too (can't recall what it was though). In that case, I donate St. Cloud as well. That will definitely end having them as our traditional league rival :sad:

i definitely think uaa and uaf need to be in the same league... the ccha :sad: . and bsu and uno should be in the wcha. my only complaints are that bsu NEEDS a new arena to be in the wcha and uno is full of a bunch of clowns imo. and they suck too. and mtu would be the switch with uno. it would be nice if we could just pick up bsu(with a new arena) and give mtu to the ccha.

I don't think uaa and uaf will ever play in the same league--imagine having back-to-back road trips to alaska...

scheduling non-conference games with each other, holiday tournaments would probably work better for them.

well i guess the way i look at it is....the cha will be gone very soon, if bemidji needs a home the wcha makes full sense in many ways. add 2 more teams then to make it even..somehow

Oh, you just want NDSU in the WCHA by adding two teams. You are a sly one... :sad: