SiouxSports.com Forum

Get ready to move those FTA dishes for the FSSN

iceberg

Iceberg,

I've repointed my dish, but I'm not getting anything over 45 on the signal meter (Satworks 3618 receiver w/ Direct PC dish). Most signals come in around 38-40. Is that "ballpark" ? I aimed it during perfectly clear weather and took my time doing it (messing with all 3 axis).

Secondly, I have a superfluous dish (35cm w/ .3dB lnb). any recommendations of a good satellite to point that at (to maximize Sioux/college hockey reception, or perhaps just has a bunch of "stuff")? Neither dish is motorized and I have DTV w/ full sports pack already.

Lastly, I don't know if satellite stuff is your hobby, profession or both, but thank you for your info and contributions to this forum over the years.

Iceberg,

I've repointed my dish, but I'm not getting anything over 45 on the signal meter (Satworks 3618 receiver w/ Direct PC dish). Most signals come in around 38-40. Is that "ballpark" ? I aimed it during perfectly clear weather and took my time doing it (messing with all 3 axis).

the Satworks reads low even on the really strong signals

Secondly, I have a superfluous dish (35cm w/ .3dB lnb). any recommendations of a good satellite to point that at (to maximize Sioux/college hockey reception, or perhaps just has a bunch of "stuff")? Neither dish is motorized and I have DTV w/ full sports pack already.

35cm? you mean 35" dish. If you have a dish at IA6 for the Sioux games and have a separate dish try G10 at 123W (30 degrees west). Lots of English channels on there and a couple network stations (My, ABC, Fox)

Lastly, I don't know if satellite stuff is your hobby, profession or both, but thank you for your info and contributions to this forum over the years.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually its just a hobby. Just love helping out people getting the Sioux games :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I need help.

First off, I bought a fixed dish. Secondly, I have the misfortune of living in a sprsely populated area (the U.P.), where I'm having great difficulty finding anybody that has the knowledge and/or tools to get it re-aimed. All of the commercial people here either don't do it or their tech guy left. I've already missed a couple of football games and will go crazy if this is where I am when hockey starts.

Does anybody know if there's a "network" of knowledgable satellite aiming guys out there or "satellite aiming for dummies"? I've exhausted my resources.

Thanks.

I need help.

First off, I bought a fixed dish. Secondly, I have the misfortune of living in a sprsely populated area (the U.P.), where I'm having great difficulty finding anybody that has the knowledge and/or tools to get it re-aimed. All of the commercial people here either don't do it or their tech guy left. I've already missed a couple of football games and will go crazy if this is where I am when hockey starts.

Does anybody know if there's a "network" of knowledgable satellite aiming guys out there or "satellite aiming for dummies"? I've exhausted my resources.

Thanks.

Head for the forum at the bottom of this message. Guys there recently helped another Sioux fan in Dallas install and get pointed at 93W. Is your system installed and you're currently pointed at last year's satellite (89W)?

One of the cheap meters (sf95 for instance) can really help get you pointed. Blind scanning, if you have a box that does that, will then let you know what you're pointed at. http://www.lyngsat.com is a good reference for finding out what you're pointed at after a blind scan.

You haven't missed any Sioux football games on FSSN, they have yet to show one (only two scheduled, UNO and SCSU). THe Montana Grizzlies were on 93W last Saturday.

I bought a dish 3 years ago on the wonderful advice of the smart folks on this topic. I tried each fall to get it going but to no avail, then the snows came and I quite for the season. Does anyone know of a person/business that I can pay to come to Thief River Falls to hook it up? I am looking for someone to mount it on my garage, get the dish positioned and the receiver programmed. I would run the cable into the house later.

Thanks

I need help.

bummer. It's really not that hard to set up. Just takes some patience ;)

Thanks.

best one on the net ;)

www.satelliteguys.us (I'm an admin there)

direct link to the FTA area

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/

• Downvote 1

I bought a dish 3 years ago on the wonderful advice of the smart folks on this topic. I tried each fall to get it going but to no avail, then the snows came and I quite for the season. Does anyone know of a person/business that I can pay to come to Thief River Falls to hook it up? I am looking for someone to mount it on my garage, get the dish positioned and the receiver programmed. I would run the cable into the house later.

Thanks

you might want to check the yellow pages for satellite installers. I would call around and see if they've done a KU Band install.

I did a quick map lookup and found 2 in TRF...I dont know if they do installs but they deal with satellite

D&J Radio & Service 681-1856

Elite Video & Sound 681-4424

• Downvote 1

no. They used G3 next doot at 95W a couple years ago

yep. Should also have in the clear

CBS Newsfeed at 11710 V 14310 (freq, polarity, symbol rate)

Doc Scott & University Network at 11865 V 3516

Macy's (as noted above)

and there are a fair amount of news feeds on there too if you have a blind scan/smart scan/power scan receiver ;)

Interesting, I screwed up my setup yesterday when it started by setting the time after turning the power off to install a ceiling fan a month ago. I then tried scanning for channels but it said my channel list was full so I did a factory reset. After that I tried to scan for channels and no matter what satellite I scanned on it would not work. It had been setup for a year and was working great until then. I had forgot the settings for the LNB, motor, etc... and I thought it was completely messed up. Last night I messed around with the settings and was able to get a ton of channels on G10 and others that I have never seen before. So maybe screwing it up was a good thing.

However, on Intelesat 6 93W the channels I quoted above are not the same TP settings. For instance I have...

CBS Newspath at 11718 V 14322

Univ. Network-DR at 11872 V 3511

Macy's 4 at 12183 V 5143 and a Macy's 5

a Fox News channel at 12016 H 3972

I have scanned IA 8 89W and have the regular ABC news. However, doing a blind scan on other sats I get the same channels on some and the some other sats pick up new channels. Why do I have different TP's for the above channels as others have? Am I on the wrong sat or do they have different TP's? I am confused... Hopefully it will work next week...

I have the same problem on mine. I get everything else on 93W except the Macy's channels. I am going to see if I cant' scan them in on the tp you listed above. I have excellent signal on all the other stations, including of course univeristy which keeps me glued to the tv ;). My only concern is for fssn and if I can get that station come hockey season.

Interesting, I screwed up my setup yesterday when it started by setting the time after turning the power off to install a ceiling fan a month ago. I then tried scanning for channels but it said my channel list was full so I did a factory reset. After that I tried to scan for channels and no matter what satellite I scanned on it would not work. It had been setup for a year and was working great until then. I had forgot the settings for the LNB, motor, etc... and I thought it was completely messed up. Last night I messed around with the settings and was able to get a ton of channels on G10 and others that I have never seen before. So maybe screwing it up was a good thing.

However, on Intelesat 6 93W the channels I quoted above are not the same TP settings. For instance I have...

I have scanned IA 8 89W and have the regular ABC news. However, doing a blind scan on other sats I get the same channels on some and the some other sats pick up new channels. Why do I have different TP's for the above channels as others have? Am I on the wrong sat or do they have different TP's? I am confused... Hopefully it will work next week...

each LNB has a little bit of float or drift. Although what worries me is each of those transponders are off by 6. Normally its 1 or 2 (so 11711 or 11709). You should be OK though. Like I say each LNB has some drift. The LNB on my setup seems to whack out when it gets really hot out and when I blind scan its off by 3 or 4. Winter is fine :)

• Downvote 1

each LNB has a little bit of float or drift. Although what worries me is each of those transponders are off by 6. Normally its 1 or 2 (so 11711 or 11709). You should be OK though. Like I say each LNB has some drift. The LNB on my setup seems to whack out when it gets really hot out and when I blind scan its off by 3 or 4. Winter is fine :)

I see, so my setup seems to be operating normally with a little deviation to the norm. Could it be because I may not have turned my LNB (Xtreme - plastic type) the proper amount? I remember when installing it, PSB sent me a diagram stating I needed to turn it a certain amount for it to work. Can this deviation to the normal TP settings have any other affects? Just as long as I can get the Sioux is all I am worried about.

EDIT: On the topic of winter...I am amazed at how well the motor works in the winter. I was expecting it to freeze up on me.

I need help.

Thanks.

Hey Bin, did you get your satellite up yet? I know it may seem like a daunting task. But if all else fails on finding someone to help you install it I would just try yourself. Having bought a fixed dish should make it easier for you because you won't have to deal with the height of the motor and the different angle it can create. If not already mentioned, you may want to contact "Iceberg" or "PSB" if he is around here anymore for any tips. All you have to do is find a signal on the satellite and fine tune from there.

I see, so my setup seems to be operating normally with a little deviation to the norm. Could it be because I may not have turned my LNB (Xtreme - plastic type) the proper amount? I remember when installing it, PSB sent me a diagram stating I needed to turn it a certain amount for it to work. Can this deviation to the normal TP settings have any other affects? Just as long as I can get the Sioux is all I am worried about.

nah. Skew (twisting of LNB) affects signal quality. The main reason the frequecny may be off is the blind scan but like I say nothing to worry about :)

EDIT: On the topic of winter...I am amazed at how well the motor works in the winter. I was expecting it to freeze up on me.

mine has survived 4 winters already...this will be the 5th :)

If you have a motor, the lnb skew should be set at 0 when you are pointed at true south. The motor takes care of the skew from there when you motor to your satellite of choice. Note the Xtreme II lnb has its 0 setting offset; the cable connection is not pointing straight down for the 0 setting as it is with most other lnb's. Look for the small mark on the lnb, that should be on the top when the lnb is at 0.

Installing the Xtreme II

yep. For most people the move will be easy.

If you are in MN or Eastern ND twist the LNB so its striaght up and down and move dish matbe 1/16" (if you draw a mnark on the mast move it from there) and you should be on IA6. DO NOT TOUCH ELEVATION ON DISH....the elevation is like a .1 degree change

Probably a dumb question, but which direction should I move the dish 1/16"?

satellite is G26/IA6/T6 (satellite at 93W)

V

freq, polarity, symbol rate

I have 12039 V 4872, if you read the previous page some of my posts and the replies might explain why mine are off. I just did a blind scan on my system and it picked it up. And as mentioned it is labeled FSSN - UND. I have 56% signal intensity with 71% signal quality so I'm not complaining.