SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Football: Widening its Exposure Gap over UND

Cratter

NDSU Football: Expanding Coverage

he Bison Radio Network, with WDAY-AM as the flagship station, has almost tripled the number of stations that will carry games from last year

NDSU's television exposure will include home games against Sam Houston State of Texas and UC Davis by the North Dakota NBC Network and at least one game on Fox Sports Net North. The school also announced

Stations? (shrug)

Coverage area.

What I wonder is .... How does the WDAY-TV/ForumComm crew feel about being foresaken for KVLY (two games) and KXJB (coach show) television? They have a long history of being the mouthpiece and now they are set aside.

Ingstad Broadcasting has WWAG-AM coming on-line soon (740 AM, Fargo). (He's the guy that bought Radio City, KFGO and the rest, back from Clear Channel.) He's a Bison fan and the speculation, even by folks like Mike McFeely, has been that they'll make a run for NDSU sports in the future.

UND has a history with ForumComm (namely WDAZ-TV, the producer of FSSN). And the General Manager of WDAY-AM was the PA man for (and remains a big fan of) Sioux Hockey.

Both the UND and NDSU media contracts are up after this season.

Interesting. Interesting. Interesting.

Actually, you've got a few of your facts wrong, Sic. First, WDAY had an opportuity to bid on the TV contract but chose not to. You can speculate on their reasons, but NDSU did not abandon them. Second, neither the UND media contract nor the NDSU radio contract(NDSU has split the radio and TV contracts) end after this year. The UND/Clear Channel contract is for two years(F2007-S2009) and the NDSU/ForumComm radio contract is for three(F2007-S2010).* NDSU's new radio contract does give them more flexability in adding stations to the Bison Sports Radio Network(gods, that's a stupid sounding name), but I think adding WWAG would conflict with WDAY's status as the flagship BSRN station.

Just to be clear, three of the Bison's five home games will be televised(SFA/FSN-N, UCD/KVLY, SHSU/KVLY) and two of the six away games will most likely be(UM/FSN-N/ESPN+, SDSU/FSN-N).

*Okay, I'm 100% certain about the NDSU contract but only 95% certain about the UND one.

I was almost positive both signed two-year deals and each are through the first year.

WDAY-TV not going for NDSU football, given their experience with it, what's that say?

PS -

Who wants to buy the articles from 2006 with the details?

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=171168

PPS -

UND signed a two-year extension in August 2006.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry179720

I was almost positive both signed two-year deals and each are through the first year.

WDAY not going for NDSU football, given their experience with it, what's that say?

You're correct about UND's contract. I thought the two year contract ran from F2007-S2009 but it actually was signed a year earlier than I thought. Sorry, my bad. The NDSU contract is for three years however.

From 2 weeks ago in the Forum:

Forum Communications, which owns WDAY-TV, WDAY-AM radio and The Forum, will still air NDSU football and basketball games on its 970-AM radio station as part of a recently signed three-year agreement.

Bohl Show may move to KVLY

edit: It took me too long to track down my sources and you beat me to the punch.

... but I think adding WWAG would conflict with WDAY's status as the flagship BSRN station.

You misinterpret:

I expect Ingstad Broadcasting (using KKAG as flag) to go head to head vs. WDAY-AM (parent: ForumComm) for Bison broadcasts next time, whenever, that contract is out for bids.

Seeing WDAY-TV step away (not pushed away) from Bison football is an interesting indicator.

Should be fun.

I thought it was going to be KXJB. That's the news report I heard Thursday night (on KVLY no less).

Either way, I'll be able to watch Coach Lennon a half hour earlier (I have to watch him on WDAY, not WDAZ) because that annoying squinty guy with Telly Savalas' barber won't be there. :blush:

WDAY did technically submit a bid.

They just wanted NDSU to use the TV portion of the combination media bid they submitted earlier. The one in which NDSU broke out the radio portion of the bid. Very lazy way to submit a bid, but it still was an offer on the table.

WDAY is viewed by many as the "Old Guard" of media in the FM area. Very slow to adopt new technology, and their sales staff only want accounts that fall in their lap.

What's interesting is how aggresive KVLY must have been in their bid. Obviously, they offered to air twice as many games as WDAY's previous offers.

You misinterpret:

I expect Ingstad Broadcasting (using KKAG as flag) to go head to head vs. WDAY-AM (parent: ForumComm) for Bison broadcasts next time, whenever, that contract is out for bids.

Seeing WDAY-TV step away (not pushed away) from Bison football is an interesting indicator.

Should be fun.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all about KKAG going head to head in a few years when the WDAY contract is up, it's just that the rules changed with this last contract. Before, I think NDSU would sell the radio rights to ForumComm and then it would be their responsibility to get other stations to make the broadcast statewide. With this new contract, NDSU now has that ressponsibility. It also means NDSU can mix and match stations from different owners to create the best coverage. Now, most of this is guesswork on my part based on what's been printed in the media, but I think I'm pretty close. With that in mind, it could be possible for NDSU to add KKAG even before the ForumComm contract expires, but, since I doubt WDAY wants local compitition, I bet there's some sort of non-compete clause in the contact for the Fargo area. That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

As for WDAY not submitting a bid, I can think of several possible reasons. NDSU will be paying WDAY for their on-air talent regardless, so maybe they think they can make more money this way. WDAY has been late to replace their standard definition cameras and other equipment; they might be currently unable to produce a football broadcast without a large expenditure to complete the switchover. They might also just be pissed that NDSU is moving its media in-house. Even more reasons are possible.

edit: or someone could come along with better info than I have while I'm in the middle of typing.....again. I really need to type faster or write less.

I thought it was going to be KXJB. That's the news report I heard Thursday night (on KVLY no less).

Either way, I'll be able to watch Coach Lennon a half hour earlier (I have to watch him on WDAY, not WDAZ) because that annoying squinty guy with Telly Savalas' barber won't be there. :blush:

It will be on KXJB, that was just the name of the article from two weeks ago. Remember, KVLY and KXJB share facilities (and owners?).

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all about KKAG going head to head in a few years when the WDAY contract is up, it's just that the rules changed with this last contract. Before, I think NDSU would sell the radio rights to ForumComm and then it would be their responsibility to get other stations to make the broadcast statewide. With this new contract, NDSU now has that ressponsibility. It also means NDSU can mix and match stations from different owners to create the best coverage. Now, most of this is guesswork on my part based on what's been printed in the media, but I think I'm pretty close. With that in mind, it could be possible for NDSU to add KKAG even before the ForumComm contract expires, but, since I doubt WDAY wants local compitition, I bet there's some sort of non-compete clause in the contact for the Fargo area. That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

Another shining example of the Old Guard. Why could NDSU gather more affiliates in it's first year than ForumComm could in decades??

As for WDAY not submitting a bid, I can think of several possible reasons. NDSU will be paying WDAY for their on-air talent regardless, so maybe they think they can make more money this way. WDAY has been late to replace their standard definition cameras and other equipment; they might be currently unable to produce a football broadcast without a large expenditure to complete the switchover. They might also just be pissed that NDSU is moving its media in-house. Even more reasons are possible.

Once again, WDAY did submit a bid. When they were contacted to re-submit a TV bid, they told NDSU to use the one they had already submitted a few months back in the media bid. It's obvious that WDAY underestimated the demand for the television rights for NDSU. WDAY probably wanted to shift the NDSU contract to something more along the lines of the FSSN.

Once again, WDAY did submit a bid. When they were contacted to re-submit a TV bid, they told NDSU to use the one they had already submitted a few months back in the media bid. It's obvious that WDAY underestimated the demand for the television rights for NDSU. WDAY probably wanted to shift the NDSU contract to something more along the lines of the FSSN.

That's what I meant about someone coming along with better info while I was still busy typing.

Actually, I think NDSU is moving toward a FSSN-type network except it will be completely controlled and produced by NDSU, who will effectly buy time on KVLY or others to televise most, if not all, home FB games and several home BB games each year. That doesn't count games that FSN will be interested in, either. It's still a few years out, but I think that's the intended course.

It will be on KXJB, that was just the name of the article from two weeks ago. Remember, KVLY and KXJB share facilities (and owners?).

sort of. Legally one owner cannot own 2 different network stations there since Fargo/GF is a small market. (IIRC you cannot own 2 of the top 4 stations in a market that size) So KXJB 4 is owned by a "company" called Parker Broadcasting. But they have an agreement with Hoak Media, who owns KVLY to basically run it for them.

So do they own both? legally no...technically yes. Its a hokey (non pun intended) way of getting around the FCC rules of ownership. Duluth does the same. CBS is owned (on paper) by Malara Broadcasting but it is run by the NBC affiliate in Duluth (owned by Granite Broadcasting). Same studio same facilities.

What are the chances any of the games will be available free-to-air (FTA)?

It would be cool if NDSU would make available the games on FTA just like UND does with FSSN (fighting sioux sports network).

Also wishing more of the UND football games were up on FSSN.

last year the Northeastern game was on the same satellite as the FSSN. WDAY uplinked it

Also the UMTC/NDSU game was on C-Band but with the Big10Network now we dont know

edit: found my post about the NEastern game

NoDak State vs. Northeastern football (that WDAY/WDAZ etc are showing) is on FTA

IA8 (same satellite as sioux)

12044 freq

V polarity

6111 symbol rate

sort of. Legally one owner cannot own 2 different network stations there since Fargo/GF is a small market. (IIRC you cannot own 2 of the top 4 stations in a market that size) So KXJB 4 is owned by a "company" called Parker Broadcasting. But they have an agreement with Hoak Media, who owns KVLY to basically run it for them.

So do they own both? legally no...technically yes. Its a hokey (non pun intended) way of getting around the FCC rules of ownership. Duluth does the same. CBS is owned (on paper) by Malara Broadcasting but it is run by the NBC affiliate in Duluth (owned by Granite Broadcasting). Same studio same facilities.

I thought 'DAY billed themselves as "the upper-midwest sports leader"? :blush: Guess not! Statewide coverage was a big part of the NDSU deal...'DAY couldn't offer that and that was a big part of why they "chose not to bid" on the contract.