SiouxSports.com Forum

A new ox to gore

PCM

NY Times

Jon Fleischaker, a lawyer representing The Courier-Journal, said yesterday that such a challenge might be made, within the next 10 days, because the event took place at a public facility and because the eviction was enforced by the University of Louisville, a public institution that was the host university.

Get out your check books, kids.

Yesterday, the Islanders addressed the growing influence of sports blogs by announcing the creation of the NYI Blog Box, a separate press area for home games at Nassau Coliseum. The team is allowing approved bloggers, and those who want to become bloggers, access to game notes and providing an area to interview coaches and players.

But, in addressing the issue that came up in Louisville, the Islanders said they had not yet decided

Probably a good idea, which is why it eludes the NC$$.

Lisa Dolak, a professor of law at Syracuse University who specializes in intellectual property rights, said the N.C.A.A. might be within its rights under contract law to issue a press credential that said, as she put it,

The NCAA is going after the "live bloggers" sitting in the press box because they are the easy targets. If you've ever had to deal with NCAA officials at an NCAA-sponsored athletic event, you'd know that they live to create rules and exert their authority to enforce them. It's what they do. It's how they feel important and in control.

When I was UND's photographer at the 2000 Frozen Four in Providence, the NCAA insisted that each photographer wear a bright yellow arm band. Why? So they could see where you were at all times and yank you back into line if you were violating the rules. We also had to wear our NCAA-issued credentials at all times while in the arena, but that wasn't enough.

After a while, it became obvious that those in charge of enforcing the rules didn't even know what the rules were. For example, we were told that we could only shoot photos from a few specifically designated areas in the arena. However, only one of those areas was any good for photography (great planning, NCAA). So all the photographers crammed themselves into that one area because it was the only decent vantage point of the ice.

An NCAA official showed up at the start of the championship game and told us there were too many photographers in that area and that we'd have to split up. So I moved to a designated area on the other side of the arena. When I got there, it was jammed with spectators standing around watching the game. As I started setting up to shoot photos, an NCAA official came up to me and said that I'd have to move because I was blocking peoples' view. Although there were dozens of people blocking the view, I was the one singled out and told to move because I was wearing press credentials.

So while I trudged back to the other side of the arena, Mike Commodore scored UND's first goal and I was in no position to capture it on film. I set up to shoot in another designated area, but there were so many spectators and so much glass between me and the action, it was impossible to get any decent shots. I moved back to the area where I started. Once again, an NCAA official showed up and said there were too many photographers in that area.

Finally, I moved up to the press area near the press box and shot photos from there. It was too far away, but at least I had a good view of the ice. I've had a soft spot in my heart for the NCAA ever since.

there is never any common sense in a bureaucracy.

...So while I trudged back to the other side of the arena, Mike Commodore scored UND's first goal and...

This is the only part Taz Boy understood. :lol:

Imagine live blogging NCAA sponsored Women's Synchronized Swimming:

Stanford Cardinal Trio takes to the water for their free routine...

Lovely swimwear... colorful patterns...

They are now lined up, and the music is starting... they must have speakers under water, no?

That was kinda cool... I bet from straight above that made a neat picture... maybe a flower or something...

hmmmm... not sure I get... that... move...

[long delay]

8adkeq12874;adsnda w erkiq lqweriq9fluhcn;........................

[long delay]

Sorry... chicks are still treading water... smiling... waving... Now kicking upside down... now splashing...

It's almost done, I think...

Done... nope. Uhm. Yep... Done.

Score: 44.97 for total of 89.64.

Next up, the Aquamaids of Santa Clara...

This is the only part Taz Boy understood. :D

Imagine live blogging NCAA sponsored Women's Synchronized Swimming:

Stanford Cardinal Trio takes to the water for their free routine...

Lovely swimwear... colorful patterns...

They are now lined up, and the music is starting... they must have speakers under water, no?

That was kinda cool... I bet from straight above that made a neat picture... maybe a flower or something...

hmmmm... not sure I get... that... move...

[long delay]

8adkeq12874;adsnda w erkiq lqweriq9fluhcn;........................

[long delay]

Sorry... chicks are still treading water... smiling... waving... Now kicking upside down... now splashing...

It's almost done, I think...

Done... nope. Uhm. Yep... Done.

Score: 44.97 for total of 89.64.

Next up, the Aquamaids of Santa Clara...

Captivating! :lol:

I maybe wrong on this one & it wouldn't be the first time nor the last either but it seems to me that the NCAA is digging itself a deeper hole that it can't even get out of. I'm going to say 8-5 on UND kicking the NCAA'S butt in court. Then again how would I have known that Little"E" in the number 8 car would be joining Jeff Gordon's race team next year & that was a huge suprise if you ask me.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

NCAA clarifies position on blogging at NCAA championships

The reporter's credential was revoked because he continued to blog live play-by-play reports from the press box after being repeatedly asked to stop.

Following this incident, the NCAA issued incorrect information to credentialed media which stated that in-game updates of any type are prohibited. In fact, in-game updates to include score and time remaining in competition are permissible by any media entity whether credentialed or not.