SiouxSports.com Forum

USD: "Fast Track" Track&Field into DI

star2city

I'm not surprised. I'd suspect that UND will select Mens and Womens swimming and diving to be eligible early, and there is little revenue to be earned from those sports. USD is relatively competetive in T & F so it makes sense for them. However, I wouldn't mind volleyball being selected because it does have the potential to generate at least some revenue. The problem is an adequate offsetting men's sport. Lacrosse, anyone? :D

Are there any special consideration for UND since they already have two programs that utilize the multidivisional classification? Do the two hockey programs count as UND's two sports to move up or are they still allowed to move up two others?

Are there any special consideration for UND since they already have two programs that utilize the multidivisional classification? Do the two hockey programs count as UND's two sports to move up or are they still allowed to move up two others?

UND should be able to move up one men's and one women's sport in addition to hockey after two years if they so choose. Now I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so don't take my word as gospel. As for the USCHO poster star talked to, I think he's wrong. Here's why:

20.4 MULTIDIVISION CLASSIFICATION

20.4.1.2 Divisions II and III Members

UND should be able to move up one men's and one women's sport in addition to hockey after two years if they so choose. Now I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so don't take my word as gospel. As for the USCHO poster star talked to, I think he's wrong. Here's why:

• 1 month later...

The Argus-Leader had a series on USD's move today.

Selling USD: SDSU has provided road map for D-I

Selling USD: Fundraising presents key challenge as Coyotes begin their journey toward Division I athletics

Selling USD: Transitional period could affect recruiting

Selling USD: What will qualify as a success?

Selling USD: Finding a conference home a top priority

For the rest of USD's sports, getting into the non-football Summit League, a soon-to-be 10-school conference South Dakota State and North Dakota State have joined for next season, would soften the transitional hardship considerably. To that end, the Coyotes sent a formal letter of interest to the league earlier this year

Selling USD: When they are building in D-I, will fans come?

Men's and women's basketball may have an easier time scheduling than was once anticipated if, as expected, USD is able to be part of a collaboration that is being organized among independent schools in similar predicaments. Nielsen did not speak in detail about the progress on that front other than to say USD is involved in talks with other schools.

There are at least 10 other Division I independents around the country looking for games at home from January to March, when teams in conferences are less apt to play non-league games, particularly on the road.

The number of Division I move ups and independents keep rising. It makes one wonder how much longer DI will keep the doors open. Here's the schools the article must be referring to, as well as other schools that may move up, and the move ups that have accomplished conference membership.

Exploratory year 2007-8

SIU-E

UND

USD

Seattle

Houston Baptist

Bryant

Division I move-up without a conference

Utah Valley

Cal State-Bakersfield

Longwood

NJIT

NC Central

Division I core members without a conference

UTPA

Chicago St

Savannah St

Move ups within the last five years with a conference (wait time in years)

Florida Gulf Coast (0)

South Carolina- Upstate (0)

Kennesaw St (0)

N Florida (0)

Presbyterian (0)

Central Arkansas (1)

Winston-Salem St (1)

UC-Davis (0 - but not a full member for 4)

NDSU (3)

SDSU (3)

N Colorado (3)

Rumored move-ups

British Columbia

W Georgia

Tarleton St

N Kentucky

Bellarmine

Indiana Pa

Wayne St (Mich)

Oklahoma City U

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not surprised. I'd suspect that UND will select Mens and Womens swimming and diving to be eligible early, and there is little revenue to be earned from those sports. USD is relatively competetive in T & F so it makes sense for them. However, I wouldn't mind volleyball being selected because it does have the potential to generate at least some revenue. The problem is an adequate offsetting men's sport. Lacrosse, anyone? :ohmy:

I just might have to cheer for a und lacrosse team if it happens. but if NDSU gets one you know who i'll be cheering for. ;)

Lacrosse as a varsity sport at UND is nothing more than a message board dream.

Literally, someone watched the DI lacrosse championship on TV and said "UND should have lacrosse".

It's not at all like it's on the UND AD's radar.

Regardless, if they get rid of baseball, it would be a great sport to pick up. At least it would draw people to watch.

Literally, someone watched the DI lacrosse championship on TV and said "UND should have lacrosse".

Good to know you have solid internal contacts with UND's administration. BTW, what's your scoop on the Buning situation. :ohmy:

It is not possible that Kupchella watched the DI lacrosse championship on TV and said "UND should have lacrosse"? ;)

Thankfully Red Jarrett and a group of young men in 1947 didn't have the same attitude that you have. Those guys started with a dream and shocked Michigan, the eventual 1948 national champions. Hockey History. Sure it's a different time, but all it takes is a dream and some guts to get it going and you never know where you can go. Everyone concentrate really hard on the word "lacrosse". Are you listening Mr. Buning? :ohmy: