SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Nickname & Logo

AussieSiouxFan

This may have been previously answered and you may think i am stupid for asking, but what is the deal with the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo appearing at the upcoming NCAA Tournament. Will UND be wearing the current uniforms with the Sioux name and Logo or will they have to wear uniforms without any "offensive" material.

UND can continue to wear its current uniforms because of the injunction issued in North Dakota's lawsuit against the NCAA.

As I understand it, the case will begin in November, 2007. Has anyone given a prediction as to how long it will take to litigate and decide?

BTW, I saw someone wearing a Sioux hockey jersey in Chicago a few weeks back. Is the black version your regular jersey, or is it considered the "third color alternate"??

As I understand it, the case will begin in November, 2007. Has anyone given a prediction as to how long it will take to litigate and decide?

BTW, I saw someone wearing a Sioux hockey jersey in Chicago a few weeks back. Is the black version your regular jersey, or is it considered the "third color alternate"??

It is the "alternate" color. The 1st away jersey's a "Garish" green according to a Columbus, OH, sportswriter at last years Frozen 4

It is the "alternate" color. The 1st away jersey's a "Garish" green according to a Columbus, OH, sportswriter at last years Frozen 4

Obviously a sportswriter that cant see through his red colored glasses.

I think our green jerseys are a great color. (through my green glasses, anyway) ;)

Obviously a sportswriter that cant see through his red colored glasses.

I think our green jerseys are a great color. (through my green glasses, anyway) ;)

They are the nicest uniforms in college hockey. Personally, I think that they could do away with the "V" thing on them but they are still the nicest. The new black Nike ones are brutal. The best was the old "black ice" jersies that they wore with the geometric logo on them. Most brutal uniforms: Bowling Green, Denver (away - they used to be nice several years ago when they were reddish), Ohio State, Western Michigan...... the new Sioux "black ice" jersey. They look like a bunch of characters from "TRON." If you've seen that movie, you know what I'm talking about. Nike should be barred from assaulting all of us with its jersey designs.

They are the nicest uniforms in college hockey. Personally, I think that they could do away with the "V" thing on them but they are still the nicest. The new black Nike ones are brutal. The best was the old "black ice" jersies that they wore with the geometric logo on them. Most brutal uniforms: Bowling Green, Denver (away - they used to be nice several years ago when they were reddish), Ohio State, Western Michigan...... the new Sioux "black ice" jersey. They look like a bunch of characters from "TRON." If you've seen that movie, you know what I'm talking about. Nike should be barred from assaulting all of us with its jersey designs.

Must keep the "V" thing. It's "slimming". :blush:

The V thing also helps because on the avatar's jersey, it means that the ends of the arms are green, and it doesn't show nacho residue as bad as a white sleeve would.

I'll bet that's what Nike was thinking when it designed the jersey. ;)

was he writing about the Frozen Four in Ohio, cause that was two years ago. But to my question that I have, the injunction continues through the trial right? I apologize if this has been answered before, but i never found an answer to it.

was he writing about the Frozen Four in Ohio, cause that was two years ago. But to my question that I have, the injunction continues through the trial right? I apologize if this has been answered before, but i never found an answer to it.

The injunction will allow UND to use the name and logo until the case is decided or a compromise is reached between UND and the NC$$.

Absolutely right! At the X this past weekend, seeing all of the different team jerseys being worn, NONE of them came close to the elegant beauty of the Sioux green! The colors and patterns are bright and distinctive, the logo itself a classic! How BORING to have a simple "M" or "W-I-S-C-O-N-S-I-N," or a script "St. Cloud" on your chest! I heard ALOT of Gopher fans complementing the Sioux logo and jersey, and encouraging us to keep the tradition and "fight the good fight!"

I hope that UND, and the state of North Dakota NEVER knuckle under to the bone-heads at NCAA! Hypocritical pinheads!

GO SIOUX!!!!!!

Personally I don't mind the black jerseys. Or perhaps you didn't realize that they are undefeated wearing the new Nike black jerseys this year. As long as they keep that up, they can wear the black Nike's anytime in my opinion.

I would like to thank everyone for their info on the jersey.

The injunction will allow UND to use the name and logo until the case is decided or a compromise is reached between UND and the NC$$.

Have any of the lawyers, etc. given an estimate on how long the case will take to wind its way thru the courts?

Our Board of Trustees refused to fight, and rationalized their cowardice by saying it was better for our teams in non-revenue sports to have the chance to host playoff games. It seems to me that if we had gone for the injunction on Day One, we would have hosted both last year and this year. Seems like your case will take at least a year to adjudicate, starting from the date of the initial filings last fall.

I would like to thank everyone for their info on the jersey.

Have any of the lawyers, etc. given an estimate on how long the case will take to wind its way thru the courts?

Our Board of Trustees refused to fight, and rationalized their cowardice by saying it was better for our teams in non-revenue sports to have the chance to host playoff games. It seems to me that if we had gone for the injunction on Day One, we would have hosted both last year and this year. Seems like your case will take at least a year to adjudicate, starting from the date of the initial filings last fall.

It will be more than a year because the case itself isn't scheduled to start until December. I am sure that the case will take several weeks, at least. And then it will depend on whether the losing side appeals and whether the injunction will be renewed for that appeal. I have not heard any estimates for when a decision will be final.

It will be more than a year because the case itself isn't scheduled to start until December. I am sure that the case will take several weeks, at least. And then it will depend on whether the losing side appeals and whether the injunction will be renewed for that appeal. I have not heard any estimates for when a decision will be final.

Sigh.

We could have avoided a lot of aggravation if we would have had the guts to file a few papers. The NCAA would have had to sit on their hands for years.

:angry:

• 2 weeks later...

so let me get this right... the ncaa in all it's power decided to restrict und's use of the fighting sioux nickname a logo. let's see how well they've fared:

2006:

Men's hockey team hosts NCAA regional at Ralph Engelstad Arena, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Men's hockey team plays at Frozen Four in Milwaukee, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Woman's basketball team hosts NCAA regional, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Men's and Women's Swimming/Diving teams compete at NCAA tournament, while wearing Sioux swimsuits/caps

Women's Tennis competes at NCAA Regionals, wearing Sioux uniforms

Men's Football team hosts NCAA playoff game, wearing Sioux uniforms

2007:

Women's basketball hosts NCAAA regional at Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, while wearing Sioux jerseys

Men's and Woman's Swimming/Diving teams compete at NCAA tournament while wearing Sioux uniforms

Men's hockey team competes (and wins) at NCAA West Regional, wearing ridiculously awesome black Sioux jerseys

and there's still so much more of 2007 left.

so let me get this right... the ncaa in all it's power decided to restrict und's use of the fighting sioux nickname a logo. let's see how well they've fared:

2006:

Men's hockey team hosts NCAA regional at Ralph Engelstad Arena, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Men's hockey team plays at Frozen Four in Milwaukee, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Woman's basketball team hosts NCAA regional, while wearing normal Sioux jerseys

Men's and Women's Swimming/Diving teams compete at NCAA tournament, while wearing Sioux swimsuits/caps

Women's Tennis competes at NCAA Regionals, wearing Sioux uniforms

Men's Football team hosts NCAA playoff game, wearing Sioux uniforms

2007:

Women's basketball hosts NCAAA regional at Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, while wearing Sioux jerseys

Men's and Woman's Swimming/Diving teams compete at NCAA tournament while wearing Sioux uniforms

Men's hockey team competes (and wins) at NCAA West Regional, wearing ridiculously awesome black Sioux jerseys

and there's still so much more of 2007 left.

Don't forget Women's basketball plays at Elite Eight, while wearing Sioux jerseys.

Don't forget Women's basketball plays at Elite Eight, while wearing Sioux jerseys.

I even checked on the Double AA zone and there wasn't even a word about the hostile and abusive jersey's I was actually surprised by this.

Since the most important issue in the nation is, according to the NCAA, sports teams names, then why are they and the Big Ten raking in a lot of money from tournaments held at the same arena where the Chicago Blackhawks play?

The Blackhawks are nothing more than a tenant in the United Center.

Yes, but to JfR's point, the United Center is filled with NCAA (and Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa) standard "hostile and abusive" Blackhawks logos.

There's a (Bulls or) Blackhawks logo on the end of every row of seats. And banners. And so on.

How can they use that "environment" if they won't use UND's?

The Blackhawks are nothing more than a tenant in the United Center.

:D

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Wirtz family, who owns the Blackhawks (and they owned 100% of the old Chicago Stadium) probably owns at least 50% of the UC. The United Center was co-developed by Wirtz and Jerry Reinsdorf's Chicago Bulls.

There's a (Bulls or) Blackhawks logo on the end of every row of seats. And banners. And so on.

And directly across the street from the north entrance to the UC is a large statue of the Black Hawks logo. ???