SiouxSports.com Forum

Bison Vs. Sioux Talk

Bison_Kent

I had a closed poll earlier and the results are as follows:

Yes, the teams should continue to play regardless of divisions------50%

No, the teams should stop playing since NDSU will be in I-AA--------17%

Yes, but only if UND also goes to I-AA-------------------------------------33%

It seems that the majority want to see the game continue. I for one want it to continue. Cal-Davis and Sacramento St. are an example of a rivarly continuing for years even though the two were in different divisions. Of course, the two now are both I-AA.

I predict that UND will be in I-AA 4-5 years after the Bison make the move. It seems UND is always a step or two behind NDSU in their progress. NDSU gets a dome stadium, UND copies 8 years later with a lower grade version.

It seems UND is always a step or two behind NDSU in their progress.  NDSU gets a dome stadium, UND copies 8 years later with a lower grade version.

Other examples-NDSU has an artificial playing surface installed at Dacotah Field, UND has an artificial playing surface installed a couple years later at Memorial Stadium. NDSU changes their mascot, UND changes their mascot to be more intimidating to NDSU. NDSU wins eight national championships, then UND wins one. ;)

if the bison cant offord a hockey team, how are they gonna afoord a d-1 team?

Starting hockey would have required a vote to raise taxes in Fargo to build a facility; NDSU tried desperately to add D-I hockey but Fargo voters turned them down in 1999. The difference in jumping to D-IAA is that it can be done without putting it to a vote in Fargo or statewide; any athletics budget shortfalls can just be drawn from general academic funds, which couldn't be done for the new stadium construction that hockey would have required.

It's not a question of how is one affordable but the other not; rather, it's a question of from where is the money appropriated that makes one more feasible than the other.

Back on topic -- IF UND ends up in a lower division than NDSU, I don't see why UND would have any interest in playing future football games in Fargo unless they were well compensated. UND is by far NDSU's biggest attendance draw, and going into a higher division team's home for a scholarship-imbalanced slaughter usually yields some payola. I'd welcome NDSU to come play in Grand Forks, but I'm not sure why they'd be interested in that (no home gate revenue, risk of being humiliated by a lower division team).

i bet in 5 yars NNDSU will be in the hole with money

and their sports programs will stink cuz they cant offord that many scholarships

I'm sure it won't be as bad as that...in order to justify the move to D-I they would have already looked at the numbers a million different ways, so they wouldn't be making the move if the business people didn't think it was at least feasible from a financial standpoint to do so.

Whatever one thinks of the move (or the school itself) it would be pretty naive to think that the move hadn't been studied fairly extensively, if only to figure out the financial possibility.

Leif,

You are right. Actually right now, NDSU is on the average side of I-AA spending but would not be too great of a feat to get to get to a higher ground. The following is an excert from the Excutive Financial Survey:

The following table presents a comparison of NDSU

I realize the topics are intertwined so it's going to come up, but I wanted to remind everyone to make an effort to keep the pure D-IAA talk in the designated forum. There are some people interested in UND football but NOT interested in reading debate about NDSU's move (and the discussion of NDSU's D-IAA move leads to more more personal confrontation, which I like to try to keep out of the designated sports forums).

Clearly that jimdahl guy is as guilty as anyone, so no one should take it as a personal rebuke, rather a gentle reminder.

With the Administrator's comments in mind and taking to heart the actual topic...I personally would love to see UND and NDSU continue to play football against each other regardless of Division. As a UND graduate and the son of an NDSU graduate, I can't tell you the number of fantastic conversations (and arguments) I have had with my dad about these exciting games. There is a certain tradition involved that can't be measured in the dollars made or lost because of Division designation. I'm sure it is the same with many families and friends around the state of North Dakota and Western Minnesota. You badger each other constantly all year (especially the week before they play) until finally the big day arrives and you go to either Grand Forks or Fargo and the good-natured ribbing gets even more intense and ridiculous, until finally the game is over and you go out for beers realizing that once again you witnessed a moment of history...no matter how miniscule it is in the grand scheme of things...and you can't wait until next year when you can start ribbing each other over beer and chicken wings all over again.

:);):D:D:D:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Star2city pointed this out in the D-IAA forum, which I know a lot of people avoid. Today's GF Herald reported:

But this week, NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said he had a contract on his desk ready to send to UND athletic director Roger Thomas. The contract firms up a Sioux-Bison football game for the next five years from 2004 through 2008.

"I'd like to keep playing them every year, if we could," Taylor said, "as long as it a competitive game for both of us, which I think it will be, and as long as both schools want to play."

I guess the thought is that UND will still be competitive until NDSU has had quite a few years to ramp up scholarships/build up the team. Good news for Sioux/Bison rivalry fans everywhere.

MinnesotaNorthStar,

UND actually has 11 NC's versus NDSU's 20. I doubt you'll see much of Rodgers unless UND is playing Bemidji State. I think he transferred there. Mike Sheppard (former OLB) has moved to the SS spot, so Rodgers would have seen little playing time even if he was still on the team.

MinnesotaNorthStar,

UND actually has 11 NC's versus NDSU's 20. I doubt you'll see much of Rodgers unless UND is playing Bemidji State. I think he transferred there. Mike Sheppard (former OLB) has moved to the SS spot, so Rodgers would have seen little playing time even if he was still on the team.

OK, I had no idea about the total national championships, but again D1 vs. D2. And, thanx for the info on Rodgers, I haven't seen him since our freshman year, so I didn't know about him transfering.