SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Wins..?

Sioux-per Fan

When will the Sioux Men get thier 1st? Funny how much patience we have with a new coach, If Rich were still here with no conference wins this board would be lit up!

If Rich were still here, no one would even ask the question. Coach Jones has em playing hard, that's all fans can ask for the first year. They need lots of players though for next year.

If Rich were still here, no one would even ask the question. Coach Jones has em playing hard, that's all fans can ask for the first year. They need lots of players though for next year.

There is big difference in the way this team is playing this year as compared to last year. If you look at the first two conference games, I believe they lost by a total of 3 points combined. Scoring 90+ points in both games, so offensively this team is fine, right now its there defense that is struggling. This team may not appear to have a chance this year, but they have a great junior class with the junior college players brought in this year, so next year I have a feelling that it could be a special year.

I'm sure we'd all like the team to have a better record this year, but a few points:

1. Jones was hired too late to really do much recruiting. With that said, the two players that were brought in after he was hired (Little and Youmans) are both all-conference caliber players.

2. The team has no true point guard. That can't be blamed on Jones. He stated on a recent coaches' show that he and the staff looked for one this summer, but there really wasn't anybody available good enough to be a difference-maker. So they signed the best overall players available (Little and Youmans). It's tough to argue with that decision. The problem is that there's no scholarship money to bring one in for next year. So hopefully Youmans and Bledsoe continue to adapt to the point guard position, because barring the departure of a scholarship player after the season, there's really no way to sign anybody else.

3. There not much outside shooting, especially compared to basically every other NCC and NSIC team. It hasn't helped that the one pure shooter--Doyle--has been hurt for much of the season. That has resulted in a lot of trading 2's for 3's scored by the opponents. If this were 1982 and there was no 3-point line, UND probably would win the NCC this year. :angry:

4. The one glaring weakness is defense. Given how many new players there are, particularly from the juco ranks, that's probably not too surprising. Juco ball isn't exactly known for defense; hence all the high-scoring games in the Mon-Dak, etc.

5. I didn't blame Rich Glas for going 8-20 his first season, and I can't blame Jones if the team only wins 10-12 games this year. The situations both inherited are nearly identical.

6. To me, the first really big test will be to see what sort of signees there are this November, when a lot of scholarships will be available.

When will the Sioux Men get thier 1st? Funny how much patience we have with a new coach, If Rich were still here with no conference wins this board would be lit up!

I agree that this team is fun to watch, they seem to work hard and play together, I think the wins will come.

I would not like to play these guys come NCC Tourney Time, I think they will make some noise....

I'm sure we'd all like the team to have a better record this year, but a few points:

1. Jones was hired too late to really do much recruiting. With that said, the two players that were brought in after he was hired (Little and Youmans) are both all-conference caliber players.

2. The team has no true point guard. That can't be blamed on Jones. He stated on a recent coaches' show that he and the staff looked for one this summer, but there really wasn't anybody available good enough to be a difference-maker. So they signed the best overall players available (Little and Youmans). It's tough to argue with that decision. The problem is that there's no scholarship money to bring one in for next year. So hopefully Youmans and Bledsoe continue to adapt to the point guard position, because barring the departure of a scholarship player after the season, there's really no way to sign anybody else.

3. There not much outside shooting, especially compared to basically every other NCC and NSIC team. It hasn't helped that the one pure shooter--Doyle--has been hurt for much of the season. That has resulted in a lot of trading 2's for 3's scored by the opponents. If this were 1982 and there was no 3-point line, UND probably would win the NCC this year. :D

4. The one glaring weakness is defense. Given how many new players there are, particularly from the juco ranks, that's probably not too surprising. Juco ball isn't exactly known for defense; hence all the high-scoring games in the Mon-Dak, etc.

5. I didn't blame Rich Glas for going 8-20 his first season, and I can't blame Jones if the team only wins 10-12 games this year. The situations both inherited are nearly identical.

6. To me, the first really big test will be to see what sort of signees there are this November, when a lot of scholarships will be available.

I agree with just about all said here. Very good stuff. I'd add that I have been more than disappointed with the performance/results of Koenig inside. Not a question of effort but he just hasn't produced like the team needed him too. Points in the paint are so important in the NCC, or any league for that matter. Hope he is healthy for next year. One last NCC crown would be a great way to leave D II.