SiouxSports.com Forum

Duluth/sioux

sprig

Massen gets taken down, another Duluth penalty. Sioux will get the last minute of the OT on the PP.

Deflected shot hits Reichmuth's pad. Just not going to score, no matter how many shots.

Game over, tie. It's getting old.

Running the table was a lot to ask, but catching Mankato is now no longer possible, as they own the tiebreaker and the best the Sioux can do is tie them for points.

MN opened the door just a crack for UND last night, and the Sioux helped them edge the door back shut today. How is it that Parise and Bochenski cannot score?

At the risk of being hammered by the Sioux faithful...what is happening this season? Blais, in the past, has been able to improve his teams over the course of the season.

This season, by contrast, they seem to be imploding at the end of the season, despite whatever offensive shot efforts they can muster. Thoughts?

Blais' post-game comments:

Shots = good effort, but "big guns" can't seem to score.

Not generating many second-efforts around the net.

"Can't remember the last time Bochenski or Parise made a great play and scored"... they've made great plays, but haven't capitalized.

Blais is afraid of "losing" his players if things don't turn around soon. Notes that there are a lot of "pissed off" players, right now.

Can't rip you for that question, O.

Obviously something is wrong. Persistent bad luck is not just bad luck.

CC was supposed to be great last year and faltered; even though they recovered later in the year, their inability to be great was inexplicable.

Denver's troubles this year have been similar.

How can the Sioux consistently play well and consistently not win? I don't know. Could they please just win a game?

An honest (probably too honest) assesment:

Sioux offense gets lots of shots, but can't get a rebound goal to save their lives.

Sioux goaltending is as mediocre as people have been ripping them about.

Sioux defense is not the same without David Hale, who Blais proclaimed recently as "The best player on the team"

Conclusion: If D. Hale does not recover, and the Sioux offense can't score some rebound goals, they will have an early exit to the season. Anyone who cannot see that right now is not looking at the facts of late.

Sioux's opponents seemingly score on every Sioux mistake (as well as when there are not mistakes). The Sioux, on the other, get stoned multiple times by opponent goalies. Didn't hear any "big saves by Brandt" today. Heard a pile of 'em by Reichmuth. ???

The way the Sioux have played since the 8-0 shelling of Tech should kill any ideas of any Hobey Baker's for UND. Haven't heard much about Bochenski's personal goals in a long time. Maybe the team needs to set aside personal goals and start playing like a team. Our "D" needs to stay at home and do its job. Mitch Vig where are you? The next three games will determine if there are "ANY" real leaders on the team. As far as anyone leaving, they'll be to old for the USHL and the NHL is done giving bonuses to unknowns. The going is tough, let's see if the tough get going. ???

Sioux played a pretty strong game today, but again are left wineless due to some recent weaknesses.

In goal, if they get a strong game, the opposition's goaltender is stronger and UND fails to score.

Defense: In the absence of D. Hale, the confidence in our defensive corps has evaporated. Yes, they are providing less shots on net than the opposition, but where are the hits and blocked shots?

Offense: While it was nice to see players like Lundbohm, Massen & Notermann get goals today, where the heck are Bochenski & Parise? for that matter, why can't UND buy a rebound chance lately?

Are we simply an odd-man-rush team, now? Is there no abundance of second-chances due to cycling the puck like there should be?

We shall see. I, for one, believe that the intrinsic talent of this team is excellent. I hope, however, that we will not have to wait until next season to see it come to light.

Fortunately, or not, I had to leave work and get some errands done, so I missed the "thrilling" end. Thanks to you guys for the updates for a "working stiff". ???

I really don't know what to make of the team right now. I see scary flashes back to last year's team: Can't keep a lead, guys who should be producing aren't, upper-classman leadership isn't there when it should be, no killer instinct, clock watching, forgetting the fundamentals ... I don't know. Are these guys afraid to win? Are they gripping their sticks too tight again? Are certain "slackers" infecting the rest? Seems like some guys show up every night, and others ...

One part of me wants to see the team run the table and get into the tourney to set a foundation for next season ... the other part wants the season to end so that Blais & Co. can maybe do some housecleaning. I expected the team to finish 4-5 in the WCHA, but I didn't really expect to see them sliding there on their butts.

Having been at the game, one point I'd make is that Reichmuth was consistently leaving huge rebounds, many of them straight up the slot. The trouble was, when the puck bounced out, most of the time the Sioux were crashing the net and they'd overskate it before they could get a stick on it.

I lost count of how many times this happened. Blais pointed out after the game that the huge rebounds sometimes created odd-man rushes for the Bulldogs going the opposite direction.

Also, the Sioux were clearly the better team and controlled the play in UMD's zone for long stretches. The Bulldog's were extremely fortunate that some of the sloppy play by their defensemen and goalie didn't result in Sioux goals.

The thing I noticed about Reichmuth is that even though he made some bonehead plays and he was lucky that they didn't cost UMD the game, he plays with a great amount of confidence -- unlike Siembida and Brandt. He never seemed to be shaken, even with the game appeared to be very lopsided in UND's favor.

Oh yeah. And I think Parise needs to relax and start having fun again. He looks like he's pressing way too hard to make things happen. It's hurting his game.

The thing I noticed about Reichmuth is that even though he made some bonehead plays and he was lucky that they didn't cost UMD the game, he plays with a great amount of confidence -- unlike Siembida and Brandt. He never seemed to be shaken, even with the game appeared to be very lopsided in UND's favor.

Don't you think it's kind of difficult for a goaltender to have confidence in themselves if no one else has confidence in them?

Don't you think it's kind of difficult for a goaltender to have confidence in themselves if no one else has confidence in them?

Who is "no one?" In my opinion, Blais and members of the team have gone out of their way to publicly support the Sioux goalies. Certainly Siembida has been given many opportunities to prove himself. I'm sure all this has been done in an attempt to help the goalies build confidence in themselves. It would be self-defeating to do it any other way.

You know, I am going to comment on this after all. I can see where your comment comes from.

On the other hand, I think this year Blais has really tried, at least from how he handles the goalies publicly, to user a lighter glove.

For instance, he gave Josh quite a run this fall. During that time Josh was pretty average, but Blais was very complimentary during post games interviews etc, and kept putting him out there.

After Christmas I believe Brandt had a similar run of games. In both cases, neither really gave stellar performances. Which is why there is so much criticism on the internet.

Now, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors. But publicly I think Blais has tried to show a lot of support.