SiouxSports.com Forum

Herald Article On Duluth Series

PCM

"We've got some forwards who haven't scored a goal and have played almost every game this year. We have to make a few hard-line decisions at the end of the year."

This was the last quote from Blais in the article. Hmmm...I wonder if he is thinking about dropping a few kids from the roster. If so, I wonder if he has others in mind to replace them.

That is the exact same thing he said last year right before or during the playoff series with MN. I think it is more a motivator than a threat.

The 2 people who didn't come back this year from last were Faul and Fournier. We know Fournier left on his own accord, and Faul did too. He didn't play much at all last year and someone who knows him posted her this fall he just couldn't take the bench again all this year. So Blais didn't cut anybody, and I doubt he will this year.

Don't forget about Connelly, he's not on the team this year either. I think he got cut though, not sure :0

Connelly has played in 28 games this season. In that span, he is 0+5=5. He may be one of the players Blais is trying to "motivate." People are saying he plays hard, but the points just aren't coming yet.

Connelly has played in 28 games this season. In that span, he is 0+5=5. He may be one of the players Blais is trying to "motivate." People are saying he plays hard, but the points just aren't coming yet.

I think people are talking about his brother that was a walk on last season. I think he played in a couple of games.

I hope no one takes this wrong but the coach can cut what ever player he wants at anytime, that is one of his options. Some seem to think that when a player is recruited he is stuck with that kid for fours years. Not true. I am all for a coach cutting a player that dogs it or fails to live up to his end of the deal. Living up to the their end of the deal means working out in the off season, going to class keeping grade up and behaving in a manner that reflects highly of the school giving the player the scholarship. Fighting in bars, failing classes, and not producing on the ice are reason to cut...

I like Ryan, and hope he finds his groove. In the games I have seen him play this year I think he can be a factor. IMO he has generated some chances, and made some good plays, but just hasn't been able to finish.

I like that he is fast and quick and works very hard. I'm hopeful he could step in to Spiewak or Notermann's role next year.

I absolutely agree with this. Just because a player was brought in on scholarship, if they are not getting it done on and off the ice, they are out the door. I think a certain amount of leniency has to go with the on ice performance thing though, I am not in favor of cutting someone after a bad freshman year where they didn't get it done, but in my mind, by the end of your sophomore season you should be contributing in some way. I am not just talking about point totals either, I am talking about the overall game. There is always room on a hockey team for role players, guys that don't have the numbers, but bust their butts night in and night out and make the team better. These guys are what usually end up being the difference between a championship team and a pretender.

We've all posted how important D. Hale has been to this team. Blais says it all here:

The absence of Hale - an intimidating defenseman who commands great respect - has hurt as much as anything. "Nobody has stepped forward who I can see and made up for it," Blais said. "I think David Hale is the best defenseman in the country. And he is the leader of this team. His presence in our lineup creates more of an impact than anyone else we have."

Ryan Hale needs to step it up. The captain has 2 goals in 32 games.

This also ain't an encouraging quote:

' "I don't think I'm comfortable with any of them," Blais said of his goalies. '

I might put Ryan Hale in the role model player, defensive forward, used to check the oppostions top line. However, one might make the argument that Speedwack and Noterman are defensive minded forwards, that have also produced in the scoring sheet. So I don't know what to think about that...