SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Update

PHE

From what I hear, UND has signed letters from Parise, Greene, & Sedevie.

Tyler Hirsch, also at Shattuck St. Mary's, is a possible walk-on as a forward. More should come out on that shortly.

I also have not heard that Fylling is definitely coming back.

Fabian is a 2003. Murray is not a 100% for sure committment yet.

My feeling is that there still must be a defenseman or two still out there that Blais and Co. are after. We lose Schneekloth and Mazurak, but only have one signed to come in.

I don't think the recruiting is done for the year. It wasn't that many years ago that UND signed NO ONE early. It was all done in the later period. It used to be that only a couple of the top guys signed anywhere early and that was mostly the top 5 guys in MN. They always signed with the Gophers and we generally didn't have a chance at those guys anyway.  

Here is the the press release...

11-27-01 UND hockey signs Zach Parise, Layne Sedevie, and Matt Greene to National Letters of Intent

Grand Forks, N.D.---University of North Dakota hockey coach Dean Blais is pleased to announce the signing of Zach Parise, Layne Sedevie, and Matt Greene to NCAA National Letters of Intent to play hockey at the University of North Dakota in the 2002-03 season.

While I am pretty pleased at the current recruit crop, I concur with those looking for another d-man or two.  I'm sure there are a few, perhaps in the late signing period or a walk-on.  Gotta like somebody leading their team in PM though.  ;)  Hopefully, Parise can show Hirsch and Murray the way to REA too.

I know, I ask a lot of people.  :)

Besides, Greene..does anyone know of other defensemen that are being recruited.  All I know is that we need another person like Commadore here that will clear the front of the net.  And if Greene is like that, who else are the coaching staff looking at?

Well, a lot of you have obviously seen the Parise discussion on the other board.  Cold feet are understandable, I guess, but it is surprising to see after the signed LOI.  The scary part is that the info was presented in a way that made me think it could be credible.  

This is just a rough week for Sioux fans.  The team is coming off its worst weekend in a long time, the roster seems like it could be in transition in a few spots, and now this question about Parise for next year.  A good solid effort this week would go a long way toward making me feel better.

And as for Parise, who knows what to think?  I can't imagine he would be so unhappy as to sit two years.

Zach, hang in there.  the Sioux win, and they will be winning a lot over the next four years.

With all due respect to PHE (read the above messages), his excellent info wasn't so accurate either.

I'm not flogging PHE, just using a good example of how things are not always as the rumors make them seem.

Could Parise be reconsidering?  Yes, I suppose it is true.  How would we know?  If he is, the goofer fans who claim he was impulsive are more right than I have given them credit for.  And if the kid is this flaky, let him go somewhere else.  He's not Gretsky.

On the other hand, the guy just signed his letter last week.  I'm going to give him credit that he's thought this through.  Also, if his linemate Murray also commits to the Sioux that might lessen the impact of this rumor.  We'll see what happens there too.

Whereas the current weekend of hockey and the publicity has probably not helped UND hockey recruiting, it is a small snapshot in time.  Recruits will be seeing a picture of Dean Blais' Sioux teams from the past several years, and the good players coming in next year (Parise, Genoway, etc) and the maturation of the good freshman group and will see a positive future.

If the Sioux can play decent this weekend at WI, we'll all feel last weekend is a month behind us, not just a week.

Let's see what happens.  Whip the Badgers!

As far as the rumor goes I really doubt it. It may be a message posted by a troller someone trying to get a rise out of people to stir the pot.

I mean really we saw the same thing last year by some of the B.C. fans. I wouldn't get too worried about it till you start seeing it from sources that are from in the media.

If Zack does withdrawal his offer I believe that he is going to have to sit out a year, and I doubt that he would want to do something like that.

With UofM being watched by the NCAA I am not so sure Lucia would want Zach there anyways it makes him and his program look bad if Zach goes to UofM. Especially after he self reported the incident to the University of Minnesota's compliance department. I am sure that Lucia does not want it to appear that he sent Lou Nanne and Glen Solmore over to twist this kid's arm.

(Edited by Goon at 9:25 pm on Dec. 6, 2001)

As much as I want Parise to wear a Sioux sweater next season, I can also understand a 17 year old having second thoughts about everything.  Given the team's recent outings, I'd bet most players have the same thoughts.  ;)

That said, I think Zach has enough smarts to realize that we are in a temporary drought and that losing two years of eligibility isn't worth leaving the program.  Besides, I doubt Minnesota would take him after the visit.

Given Minnesota fans' speculation before and after Zach's verbal, I would suspect their is still a dim hope that he will bail and head for the U.  Most lucid Minnesota fans I know, off the boards, have moved on and are looking forward to Guyer and Vanek ... I'm not.  ;)

Beyond that, I'd prefer the present crew get their act together, one way or another, and put some more wins up.  Sheesh ... it's not preseason ...

Scott it must be tough living in Rodent country when we are not doing so well and the Gophers have returned to the top of the league standings.

I think your right we heard the same thing about Bochenski last season. Trollers... I did read in the paper that Fabian might not be coming as originally though so that might be what someone is talking about.

Blais said that on the Coaches show they have been on the recruiting trail all week so I have faith that our coaches will not give up...