SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ohmy:

Well, if practice is too tought they can always quit like Alex Simonson. Then all you have to do is enroll at Red River and Coach Malm will get you on the team. Nevermind that other kids from Red River were cut from the team, but somehow they find room for Simonson.

:)

so if you were malm you would tell him u dont want him on his team

dirk dir alex isnt jumping on the team as of right now hes 1st line JV

If I were a parent of a kid that was cut that actually attended Red River at the beginning of the year and last year, I would be pissed off.

Why would you be pissed off? Because your kid can't hack it? Sorry, its not 6th grade anymore, the best players make it, everyone else gets cut. If they can't make the JV squad, they probably shouldn't be playing anyway. High school athletics aren't about being nice and fair, its about winning games, and adding Simonson gives them a better chance to win games.

I would be angry cuz then where would my son play? He couldnt go down to bantams if he was young enough, the stallions team is always packed, the dakota gold could be an option but that would be a huge drop going from JV down to a team less then the stallions. But atleast still couuld play organized hockey but i doubt he would make it back up the ladder again from the gold.

Why would you be pissed off? Because your kid can't hack it? Sorry, its not 6th grade anymore, the best players make it, everyone else gets cut. If they can't make the JV squad, they probably shouldn't be playing anyway. High school athletics aren't about being nice and fair, its about winning games, and adding Simonson gives them a better chance to win games.

Don't forget, in the classroom we needed to be graded with a pass/fail no A's, B's or C's as we don't want any of the kids to feel bad :ohmy:

I thought Fargo South was very unimpressive tonight. Danny Wurden is a solid player but he and his other D mates looked like they just threw the puck around sloppily instead of making crisp passes...maybe Red River's forecheck was too much for them. I also noticed that Fargo South's lines were different in the third period; if anyone has any reasoning for that I would be very interested to find out.

I'll try and answer your question to why South switched up the lines. If Coach Wilsons statement in the Fargo Forum and the way South played last night (selfish) had anything to do with it, I'd say it was because they were not moving the puck. It looked like South held on to the puck to long and by the time they decided to shoot they were in so tight on the defender that the shot would either miss the net completely or the Red River defenseman would deflect the puck into the corner. Even when the obvious play was to make a pass, South did not execute. Agreed, for the most part Red Rivers defenseman in general were far more composed with the puck in the defensive zone and broke the puck out much smoother. Red Rivers intensity in the offensive zone could be some of the reason for that urgency by South, however. Maybe too much credit is being given to South and especially there first line. I for one was an advocate that they maybe had the best line in the state. After watching them play sluggish last night, I'm starting to second guess myself. McDougall looked uninterested in playing physical at times, and Ian Powers looked like he was skating with ankle weights. Again, that all could be a product of playing against guys that kept there feet moving for 17 minutes a period. Right now, even though South may not have played there top game, I'm going to have to say that if Grand Forks Red River can continue play at the level they did last night, they are going to be very difficult to beat come state tournement time.

I would be angry cuz then where would my son play? He couldnt go down to bantams if he was young enough, the stallions team is always packed, the dakota gold could be an option but that would be a huge drop going from JV down to a team less then the stallions. But atleast still couuld play organized hockey but i doubt he would make it back up the ladder again from the gold.

See previous post!

I dont think you have any right to be bashing Simonson for quitting unless you KNOW the circumstance. Knowing does not mean that someone told you that he quit because practice was to hard. He has to sit out and serve his transfew suspension and will not be able to play Varsity this year. Why aren't you ripping on McBain for transferring??

On a side note, Tyrel McBain was nothing special in the JV game. Not a very strong skater, he doesnt pass the puck, and shoots it every oppertunity he has. I think he will be battling for any playing time on varsity.

I dont think you have any right to be bashing Simonson for quitting unless you KNOW the circumstance. Knowing does not mean that someone told you that he quit because practice was to hard. He has to sit out and serve his transfew suspension and will not be able to play Varsity this year. Why aren't you ripping on McBain for transferring??

On a side note, Tyrel McBain was nothing special in the JV game. Not a very strong skater, he doesnt pass the puck, and shoots it every oppertunity he has. I think he will be battling for any playing time on varsity.

There is a huge difference in why Simonson left and why Mcbain left. First Mcbain didnt ditch his team in the middle of the season by walking off of practice. Mcbain didnt leave because of the coach or practices. He left in hoping to get noticed and play better teams. Simonson left cause he didnt like the coach and he thinks he is way better then he is.

I'll try and answer your question to why South switched up the lines. If Coach Wilsons statement in the Fargo Forum and the way South played last night (selfish) had anything to do with it, I'd say it was because they were not moving the puck. It looked like South held on to the puck to long and by the time they decided to shoot they were in so tight on the defender that the shot would either miss the net completely or the Red River defenseman would deflect the puck into the corner. Even when the obvious play was to make a pass, South did not execute. Agreed, for the most part Red Rivers defenseman in general were far more composed with the puck in the defensive zone and broke the puck out much smoother. Red Rivers intensity in the offensive zone could be some of the reason for that urgency by South, however. Maybe too much credit is being given to South and especially there first line. I for one was an advocate that they maybe had the best line in the state. After watching them play sluggish last night, I'm starting to second guess myself. McDougall looked uninterested in playing physical at times, and Ian Powers looked like he was skating with ankle weights. Again, that all could be a product of playing against guys that kept there feet moving for 17 minutes a period. Right now, even though South may not have played there top game, I'm going to have to say that if Grand Forks Red River can continue play at the level they did last night, they are going to be very difficult to beat come state tournement time.

I think Wilson hit it right on the nose about the play of his team. I don't think either team played all that well last night. Red Rivers defensemen played a pretty good game and South's were a little shaky. McDougall isn't a physical player in the first place because he doesnt have to be with the size of the team around him. He was the only player that really stood out to me for South as he set up both of their goals and was a threat for most of the game. Wurden's an exceptional defensemen but i think he logs too much ice time and started making mistakes because he was bagged. I think South was the more talented team but worked very poorly together. Although Red River may be less talented they used each other very well to break the puck out and to set up opportunities. As I said before, neither team played as well as they could and i would expect a much better game when they play eachother at purpur on a bigger sheet of ice. All in all, it was a good win for Red River and a good lessen for South that they can't just rely on their talent to win games.

I think Wilson hit it right on the nose about the play of his team. I don't think either team played all that well last night. Red Rivers defensemen played a pretty good game and South's were a little shaky. McDougall isn't a physical player in the first place because he doesnt have to be with the size of the team around him. He was the only player that really stood out to me for South as he set up both of their goals and was a threat for most of the game. Wurden's an exceptional defensemen but i think he logs too much ice time and started making mistakes because he was bagged. I think South was the more talented team but worked very poorly together. Although Red River may be less talented they used each other very well to break the puck out and to set up opportunities. As I said before, neither team played as well as they could and i would expect a much better game when they play eachother at purpur on a bigger sheet of ice. All in all, it was a good win for Red River and a good lessen for South that they can't just rely on their talent to win games.

I disagree about McDougall. yes he is a good individual hockey player, I don't doubt that for a second, but very rarely have I seen him pass the puck in the offensive zone to someone in a better scoring position. I know he has quite a few assists this year and he assisted on both of the goals last night, but most of his assists are second assists from making a break out pass or winning a faceoff. His first assist last night was by winning the faceoff and his second was a very good pass from the defensive zone to Hooey. very rarely will he pass the puck in the offensive zone, but instead he will try to be a one-man show.

I disagree about McDougall. yes he is a good individual hockey player, I don't doubt that for a second, but very rarely have I seen him pass the puck in the offensive zone to someone in a better scoring position. I know he has quite a few assists this year and he assisted on both of the goals last night, but most of his assists are second assists from making a break out pass or winning a faceoff. His first assist last night was by winning the faceoff and his second was a very good pass from the defensive zone to Hooey. very rarely will he pass the puck in the offensive zone, but instead he will try to be a one-man show.

I completely agree with you on how he should move the puck when someone has a better opportunity to score, but their whole first line has the same problem. I've seen him set up goals with some great passes but he would be even more of a threat if he used his linemates a little bit more. There's no doubt in my mind that the kid can flat out play and i think he deserves more recognition. He's one hell of a penalty killer too. Plus he's one of the best at winning faceoffs i've seen in awhile.

I completely agree with you on how he should move the puck when someone has a better opportunity to score, but their whole first line has the same problem. I've seen him set up goals with some great passes but he would be even more of a threat if he used his linemates a little bit more. There's no doubt in my mind that the kid can flat out play and i think he deserves more recognition. He's one hell of a penalty killer too. Plus he's one of the best at winning faceoffs i've seen in awhile.

South obviously has a problem with holding on the the puck, which was proven when Coach Wilson split the first line up. I agree Souths entire first line holds on to the puck too long, but more often than not its McDougall I see taking a low percentage shot on 3 on 2's and 2 on 1's. I'd like to give McDougall some credit on the nice pass he made to Hooey instead of only saying negative things. He executed the pass perfectly, but that pass doesn't really tell me he is not a selfish player. What other option did have other than passing? It doesn't matter how selfish you are, if you have a player who is clearly on a breakaway if you get them the puck, the pass will be made. Maybe the way I rate a players perfomance and skill level is not 100% reliable, but I like to measure a players success on how they do outside of high school hockey where the competition is generally higher. Obviously, some conclusions can be drawn from how a player performs in high school hockey. In most cases, good players will be successful, and poor players will not be successful. But in some cases, opposite players expierance opposite results. What I mean by that is if they play selects, elite league, exposure camps, etc. Now I'm aware there are some flaws in this because some players choose not to play in the summer months and unable to play in these tournements. In most cases, I try not to evaluate such players unless I am comparing them to a player who is obviously significantly better by means of the intensity the player the other player is recruited. My point is, outside of high school hockey, McDougall has not been very impressive. And I believe that, if you are not a truely good player, the odds of you seeing success outside of high school hockey is very low. And if you are a special player, you will see success. If my memory serves me correctly McDougal did not make the Elite 1 team, and had to play with the Elite 2 league (a league that is actually not affialiated with Elite 1, I believe there was some controversy over the league being named Elite 2). He was then made an alternate for the Elite 1 team behind other Fargo South players Kris Graalum and Ian Powers (Graalum is listed as a forward). Jake is having a great senior season, and I expect him to continue succeeding throughout the season.

There is a huge difference in why Simonson left and why Mcbain left. First Mcbain didnt ditch his team in the middle of the season by walking off of practice. Mcbain didnt leave because of the coach or practices. He left in hoping to get noticed and play better teams. Simonson left cause he didnt like the coach and he thinks he is way better then he is.

May I ask where you get your information from? Alex Simonson is not a cocky person. I don't see how you can bash him by saying that he thinks he is way better than he is. If you don't even know him don't say anything. By the way Simonson has potential to be one of the best forwards in the state.