SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

On the website Gillen has RR winning 5-1. Sounds about right.

It sounds like the Spoilers are on a bit of a roll to start the season. GPR fans, what makes this team tick? From the website it looks like they are getting pretty good goaltending, and are dominating some pretty good hockey teams of late. They'll probably give the roughriders a run for their money.

Anybody at the DL-GPR game, how did Devils Lake look?

DL looked alright, at least according to my opinion...we also had a fan get hit by a puck.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DL looked alright, at least according to my opinion...we also had a fan get hit by a puck.

Doesn't that happen all of the time in Grafton? Every time I played at the spoiler dome (do they still call it that?) someone in the crowd usually got hit by a puck or something like that. One time my dad took a puck to the head, and I don't think he's been the same since. :lol:

Doesn't that happen all of the time in Grafton? Every time I played at the spoiler dome (do they still call it that?) someone in the crowd usually got hit by a puck or something like that. One time my dad took a puck to the head, and I don't think he's been the same since. :lol:

I call it the mini-ralph...hasnt happened since our goal judge got hit

I was at the Red River vs. Central game and must say, its pretty much what I expected. First off, the ceremony honoring Jason Stadstad before the game was very nicely put together. As for the game, Red River dominated in every aspect. Meland was spectacular again with 3 assists, as was Russel Crary with 2 shorthanded goals. Red Rivers defense continues to impress limiting Central to under 20 shots. The only defensive breakdown I remember resulted in Centrals only goal. Pat Arnason also played another great game in goal, he is a very confident goalie that rarely puts himself in a position where he needs to make a big save. I look forward to RR's next two games against GPR and FS.

South has problems every year with playing time. Wilson frequently rolls only two lines. I find it hard to believe that RR and South's 3rd and 4th lines would start for any one of these teams. (North, WF, Jamestown)

The puck isn't just falling into the net because some players are getting a little extra playing time. Zach Welding, Tanner Bombenger, Tyler Klein would make both RR and South's team and would easily be on the top two lines.

"I know this because we (RR) had players on 3rd and fourth lines that would have been starting for north wf james and all the weaker teams, and the case is the same this year." . . . The players on the third and fourth line would easily slide up to second and third at all three schools, (North, WF, Jamestown) but they wouldn't bump of any first line.

I agree that many of the first line players on some of the second tier teams are excellent players and would make top teams like Red River and South and also have a good shot at first line or second line play. Of course, this is a hypothetical statement just like the one that lives-to-play makes about how good third and fourth liners are at RR and how top players on lower tier teams might be on the bubble in trying out for RR or South. Certain actual facts challenge his hypothetical generalization. All you have to do is look at the rosters of Team North Dakota and the NDAHA USA Hockey Select teams and you will see these players from lower tier schools playing along side of top players from South and Red River. In addition, their production is significant and at a par with the other players on the select team. I have not seen a third or fourth liner from South or Red River beat out a legitimate top line player from a lower tier school in a select tryout. And this includes teams coached by individuals such as Matt Malm, Dean Wilson, Tarek Howard, Mark Bry, etc. Sometimes it is hard for individuals who have played for a team with a great tradition to give much credence to players from other teams - that's human nature. The evidence, however, in Select/All Star/AAA team selection shows that objectivity typically comes through and these players are selected by top state coaches and perform well. And to take an interesting case example - let's look at Zach Welding, a Jamestown player who struggled with production last year and is not on a strong team. At the USA Hockey Select 17 Festival (top 240 17 years olds in the country) he had more points than Mario Lamoureux or Paul Weisgarber. Lucky? Maybe. But in that environment you may get some great combinations and show what potential you have. There are a lot of under-rated players out there that would blossom with a higher quality team. I know that is not what some people want to hear but it is often true. Another example, would be Adam Roland - the great running back for the Sioux who was a three sport star at Wahpeton (Football, Hockey, and Track). He was a tremendous hockey player in a weak program but was able to show his true team potential when he was selected, by a former Grand Forks High School player who became a coach, to be on a select team. There are many more examples out there.

On the website Gillen has RR winning 5-1. Sounds about right.

It sounds like the Spoilers are on a bit of a roll to start the season. GPR fans, what makes this team tick? From the website it looks like they are getting pretty good goaltending, and are dominating some pretty good hockey teams of late. They'll probably give the roughriders a run for their money.

Anybody at the DL-GPR game, how did Devils Lake look?

I was at the game and both DL and GPR played tough. It was a battle the whole game. I just think Grafton has a better team with strong forwards and strong goaltending with Sand averaging about 1 goal a game for the past 10 games. DL looked like a fast pace team and I predict they will take the 4th seat in the state behind GPR RR and South. I look forward to seeing RR and GPR play on saturday.

Uhh, two losses in a row for red river? when did they lose?

I think what he ment is that he sees RR losing their next two games, first to Grafton, and then to Fargo South. I however, have to disagree with him, I see Red River continuing with their winning ways. The last few Red River games I have seen which were agaisnt middle of the pack EDC teams, Red River has yet to give up more than 1 or two quality scoring chances in each game. The chances that they do give up, Arnason has been there to shut the door. With the combination of great Defense, arguable the top line in the state (including the best forward in the state), and a very solid goalie in Pat Arnason, I dont see Red River losing to Grafton or Fargo South at this time. Both of these games should be fast paced, fun games to watch, but I see RR coming out on top. On a side note, I think the most improved player in the state so far this year would have to go to Pat Arnason. Maybe its just because he wasnt given much of a chance last year, but from what I have seen he is the best goalie in the state. He seems much more athletic this year and is always in position to make the save. He seems to be one of those goalies that makes every save look routine. The fact that he is 6'3" doesnt hurt either. I wouldnt be surprised to see junior teams after him following the season.

I think what he ment is that he sees RR losing their next two games, first to Grafton, and then to Fargo South. I however, have to disagree with him, I see Red River continuing with their winning ways. The last few Red River games I have seen which were agaisnt middle of the pack EDC teams, Red River has yet to give up more than 1 or two quality scoring chances in each game. The chances that they do give up, Arnason has been there to shut the door. With the combination of great Defense, arguable the top line in the state (including the best forward in the state), and a very solid goalie in Pat Arnason, I dont see Red River losing to Grafton or Fargo South at this time. Both of these games should be fast paced, fun games to watch, but I see RR coming out on top. On a side note, I think the most improved player in the state so far this year would have to go to Pat Arnason. Maybe its just because he wasnt given much of a chance last year, but from what I have seen he is the best goalie in the state. He seems much more athletic this year and is always in position to make the save. He seems to be one of those goalies that makes every save look routine. The fact that he is 6'3" doesnt hurt either. I wouldnt be surprised to see junior teams after him following the season.

Arnason has played very well this season which his stats undoubtedly show. However, Arnason has arguably the best defensively minded team in the state in front of him and then if you compound that with the fact that RR schedule is by far the easiest faced by a top EDC team it is not very surprising to see how well Arnason is doing. Also you should note that Arnason has 1/3 to 1/2 as many shots that other top goal tenders have faced. These next few games though will be a good oppurtunity for Arnason to show what hes made of, but until then I don't think you can say he is the best in the state.

Red River should beat Grafton but will lose to South. South has too much talent.

I read in the herald today that Jason Stadstad's jersey will be retired tonight at Purpur. Truely a great honor to a great individual whose time on earth was way to short. Question to Central fans, or GF citizens, is this the first jersey to be retired of a Grand Forks high school hockey player?

Thanks!

Yes, Jason's number 19 is the first number retired by either Grand Forks schools.

Not saying South doesn't have talent, but Red River has 3 of the top 5 players in the state (Galbreath, LaDouceur, Meland). I wouldn't be surprised to see Red River and South split this year, but a South sweep is very unlikely in my mind.

I disagree. Galbreath and LaDoucer are probably top 5, and I really like Meland, but you are overstating his talent. Danny Wurden of South, Zach Miller of Grafton and Tyler Klein of North deserve consideration before Meland. You could also make a case for Tanner Hills, Zach Welding, Ian Powers, Sean Deichert, Tyler Swanson and a few players from the west.

I disagree. Galbreath and LaDoucer are probably top 5, and I really like Meland, but you are overstating his talent. Danny Wurden of South, Zach Miller of Grafton and Tyler Klein of North deserve consideration before Meland. You could also make a case for Tanner Hills, Zach Welding, Ian Powers, Sean Deichert, Tyler Swanson and a few players from the west.

Cmon now, how can you say that? The kid is averaging 3 points a game, leading the state in both goals and assists. He's the best player on the best line in the state, and you're putting Klein, Wurden and Miller ahead of him? You could put 2 JV players next to Meland and they would have 20-30 points. Wurden and Miller COMBINED don't have as many points as Meland does.

I agree. Although the quality of high school hockey in North Dakota may be down, there are still other players that deserve recognition. At this point in time I am not really cheering for any team so I feel I can fairly compare these players without my vision being clouded by personal feelings. I believe Tyler Klein and Danny Wurden were the two North Dakota players chosen to play in the All-Star team composed of players from every team in the Elite league. Parker Metz of Fargo South began the season with the FM Jets and was familiar face in the line-up. Michael Hillman was highly recruited by the Bismarck Bobcats, and Kyle Everson of DL has turned heads proving that he should at least be mentioned when this topic arises. Ian Powers finished 7th in scoring on the Elite 1 team above Eric Meland who finished 16th. Tyler Swanson has also proven to be a great player having success with various select teams and at the National festival.

Cmon now, how can you say that? The kid is averaging 3 points a game, leading the state in both goals and assists. He's the best player on the best line in the state, and you're putting Klein, Wurden and Miller ahead of him? You could put 2 JV players next to Meland and they would have 20-30 points. Wurden and Miller COMBINED don't have as many points as Meland does.

Eric Meland has 24 points, Danny Wurden has 21 points, Zach Miller has 24 points; If you add 21 and 24 the total is 43. I believe 43 is greater than 24 but there is a small possibility I am wrong. Eric Herbel has 31 points which is also a greater total than that of Meland. It would be great if the statements you posted on this board were fact and not something created in imagination. I have pulled all my information from Bob Gillens site so I am assuming those are fairly close to the correct totals. I'm not sure what button you hit on your calculator that told when you add 21 and 24 you get a number less than 24...

Danny Wurden is a defensman not a forward. He is highly recruited by the WCHA, the USHL, and the FM Jets. There is also talk of him being drafted into the NHL (how true this is, I'm not sure). When Eric Meland has success on that kind of level, we will compare him to Wurden.

Apparently you are a hockey guru. If that statement holds true, tell Coach Malm to put two JV players on Melands line. The depth of the team will then increase and the success of the team should actually increase too. Because if what you are saying is true two JV players could actually outscore Meland (24 points) if they were put on his line (30 points as stated above). I'm suprised Coach Malm has yet to think of that. Maybe you should have a sit down with the athletic director at Red River and express your feelings of superiority to them...

Meland and Wurden are definitely a couple of the best players in the state. It's going to be a great game watching these two battle it out. Miller is a very good player and is a huge reason Grafton has won their last 9 games. (Not to exclude Hills, Demers, and Sand) Klein has yet to impress anyone netting a whopping 4 goals this year in 12 games. Also, its not that Klein is making great passes and getting assists, he's taking poor shots and his line mates are picking up the trash. Placing Klein over Meland would be a joke.

Meland and Wurden are definitely a couple of the best players in the state. It's going to be a great game watching these two battle it out. Miller is a very good player and is a huge reason Grafton has won their last 9 games. (Not to exclude Hills, Demers, and Sand) Klein has yet to impress anyone netting a whopping 4 goals this year in 12 games. Also, its not that Klein is making great passes and getting assists, he's taking poor shots and his line mates are picking up the trash. Placing Klein over Meland would be a joke.

Maybe I should have put it in bold where I said the coaches in the High School elite league chose Tyler Klein over Eric Meland. Klein had a 21 points in his campaign while Meland netted 7. To say placing Klein over Meland is a joke is a gross misrepresentation of the skill level of this young man. Eric Meland is a great hockey player, don't get me wrong. But too many people on this message board are so high and mighty on certain players that they consider everyone else unworthy of carrying there jockstrap.

My mistake on Wurden and other's point totals, I was looking on the state leaders section and I obviously didn't realize that South had played more than 5 games. My bad. Meland is also currently at 27 points, as he netted 3 assists last nite. As for the whole Elite League thing, does Tyler Klein play any other sports in the summer? It is not surprising that Klein outscored him, Meland spent the entire summer playing legion baseball. Had he been playing hockey the whole time I'm sure his point totals would've been higher.

My mistake on Wurden and other's point totals, I was looking on the state leaders section and I obviously didn't realize that South had played more than 5 games. My bad. Meland is also currently at 27 points, as he netted 3 assists last nite. As for the whole Elite League thing, does Tyler Klein play any other sports in the summer? It is not surprising that Klein outscored him, Meland spent the entire summer playing legion baseball. Had he been playing hockey the whole time I'm sure his point totals would've been higher.

Many top level hockey trainers encourage participating in other sports during the off season as this type of cross training helps to develop the athleticism that creates a better hockey player. Meland's participation in legion ball therefore can be an advantage rather than a disadvantage. In addition, particpation in another sport helps to minimize psychological staleness and burnout that can come from the extended pre and post season leagues and tournaments that some kids endure.

Bottom line, is that you cannot reliably make a generalization about point production simply based on summer activities. Some kids, who need to improve their skills, can benefit while naturally skilled players can benefit from the time off and come out hungrier in the fall.

Tyler Klein also plays baseball but not legion baseball. To my knowledge he only participated in two hockey camps, one which was only 3 days long held at Bowling Green University, and the other the camp which is run by the Fargo North High School coach's. I find it hard to believe Tyler gained a significant advantage over Eric by participating in those events. Also, the Elite 1 schedule is a fairly long schedule. Definitly long enough for a player to shake off any dust he may have had from time off in the summer. Maybe if Eric played soccer or football during the Elite 1 season and had his mind on those things at the same time I would find your point credible.

You're main point to support that Meland is better than Klein is that Meland has more points this year. The difficulty with that is, Meland plays on a stronger team (If you read my previous posts you can see how the strength of one's teams can correlate to more scoring opportunity). When Meland and Klein played on the same team, Klein outscored Meland 21-7. Now if you want to provide a reasonable argument to why Tyler had more points than Eric in that season you could say that maybe Tyler played with stronger players. Which could be true. However, in many instances teams top lines are composed of the top players. So if Tyler was in fact playing with better players than Eric, it was because the coaching staff believed that Tyler was a superior player to Eric. Now if you want to take up an argument with them, be my guest.