SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, DL is the real deal alright.

Show me somewhere on this forum that said DL was the real deal. :lol:

They lost a game. Big deal. Don't any other teams lose games?

Seems to me you have posted on here before, where it looks like all you want to do is stir up a hornets nest.

Devils Lake got it taken to them for most of the game, except from about 8 minutes left in the third to the last two minutes of the game. Jamestown was up 6-1 before that.

Jamestown is a wild card especcially at home, Officiating is usaully suspect. Jamestown is volitile just as in years past, They have the potential to skate with better teams and they have the potential to drop games to teams that they are better than like.

Show me somewhere on this forum that said DL was the real deal. :lol:

They lost a game. Big deal. Don't any other teams lose games?

Seems to me you have posted on here before, where it looks like all you want to do is stir up a hornets nest.

Not to Jamestown 7-4, if you want to be considered top 4 in the east.

Before everyone counts Devils Lake out I would like to remind you that Grafton lost to Jamestown in Jamestown last year. Grafton was top four in the East last year. There is no definite top four this year in the EDC and it is very irrational to judge the success of the first half of a teams season on one game against a team that is known for knocking off teams that have more quality players than they do.

1. South

1. Red River

3. Grafton

4. DL

4. North

5. Central?

Before everyone counts Devils Lake out I would like to remind you that Grafton lost to Jamestown in Jamestown last year. Grafton was top four in the East last year. There is no definite top four this year in the EDC and it is very irrational to judge the success of the first half of a teams season on one game against a team that is known for knocking off teams that have more quality players than they do.

1. South

1. Red River

3. Grafton

4. DL

4. North

5. Central?

not central

Yes it was serious. That Century game was for 2 points. Also, I am pretty sure that Century had more than the usual number of Varsity kids playing. The game was for two points though.

By the way Century hadmost of there varsity playing. But when I first brought up this topic I was not taking about Bottineau being a team going to state, only that they havea very good player in Herbel. I see others talking about the players in the state and feel the Herbel kid should be mentioned with the other good players in the state. If anyone has seen this kid play I would like your opinionon his chances of going to the next level.

By the way Century hadmost of there varsity playing. But when I first brought up this topic I was not taking about Bottineau being a team going to state, only that they havea very good player in Herbel. I see others talking about the players in the state and feel the Herbel kid should be mentioned with the other good players in the state. If anyone has seen this kid play I would like your opinionon his chances of going to the next level.

I agree that Herbel is a pretty good player but his stats are misleading considering some of Bot's competition so far this year; Rivers Collegiate, Century JV, Bienfait, Central Butte, Morden.

Well if you have RR, South, and GPR, that still leaves another spot open. Who should fill it? If DL isn't worthy, than North and WF must not be either because they lost to DL. :) That 4 seed is really up in the air and whoever gets it will beat the 1 from the west.

Red River plays Central tonight...I see the Riders winning 5-0.

I heard that RR's Adam Crary will not be playing in todays game due to an injury. This has caused Red River to have to juggle all of their lines around, which could cause some problems. Despite this, I still see Red River winning the game by a score of 4-1. I expect Central to come out very motivated after what should be an emotional retiring of Jason Stadstads jersey #19. All in all it should be a great night of high school hockey in Grand Forks.

I read in the herald today that Jason Stadstad's jersey will be retired tonight at Purpur. Truely a great honor to a great individual whose time on earth was way to short. Question to Central fans, or GF citizens, is this the first jersey to be retired of a Grand Forks high school hockey player?

Thanks!

Point totals are not always an indicator of how well one plays. In most years if you are able to put up 30 points in the West, that probably correlates to around 15-20 points in the East. Besides, all point scoring is a function of how your team plays and the opportunities that they help you create. If you put one of Fargo South's top 4 point getters and put them on West Fargo, their scoring output will decrease because his opportunity to score will decrease. The same goes for if you put West Fargo's top player on Fargo South. He's going to get more points. My conclusion- points do not always provide a solid testimony to the strength of a players skill. Sometimes they do, but in North Dakota High School hockey, they can also be very deceiving.

I have to disagree, Look at the Norths, the west fargo's and the jamestowns of past years. These teams would have players that put 30+ points but if they were to have tried out for a team like south or Red River they may or may not have even made the team.

My point is 2nd or third line players on the RR or the Souths have less points than first line players on north or WF or James because those first line players play twice the minutes because they are on a poor team, even though they are weaker players than 2nd or third or even 4th line players on the top couple teams in the state.

So to say a player from north or Wf last year would have had more points if they had played on RR or South is a joke because I don't know is they would have even made RR or south.

I know this because we (RR) had players on 3rd and fourth lines that would have been starting for north wf james and all the weaker teams, and the case is the same this year.

I have to disagree, Look at the Norths, the west fargo's and the jamestowns of past years. These teams would have players that put 30+ points but if they were to have tried out for a team like south or Red River they may or may not have even made the team.

My point is 2nd or third line players on the RR or the Souths have less points than first line players on north or WF or James because those first line players play twice the minutes because they are on a poor team, even though they are weaker players than 2nd or third or even 4th line players on the top couple teams in the state.

So to say a player from north or Wf last year would have had more points if they had played on RR or South is a joke because I don't know is they would have even made RR or south.

I know this because we (RR) had players on 3rd and fourth lines that would have been starting for north wf james and all the weaker teams, and the case is the same this year.

South has problems every year with playing time. Wilson frequently rolls only two lines. I find it hard to believe that RR and South's 3rd and 4th lines would start for any one of these teams. (North, WF, Jamestown)

The puck isn't just falling into the net because some players are getting a little extra playing time. Zach Welding, Tanner Bombenger, Tyler Klein would make both RR and South's team and would easily be on the top two lines.

"I know this because we (RR) had players on 3rd and fourth lines that would have been starting for north wf james and all the weaker teams, and the case is the same this year." . . . The players on the third and fourth line would easily slide up to second and third at all three schools, (North, WF, Jamestown) but they wouldn't bump of any first line.

On the website Gillen has RR winning 5-1. Sounds about right.

It sounds like the Spoilers are on a bit of a roll to start the season. GPR fans, what makes this team tick? From the website it looks like they are getting pretty good goaltending, and are dominating some pretty good hockey teams of late. They'll probably give the roughriders a run for their money.

Anybody at the DL-GPR game, how did Devils Lake look?

I'll address one issue at a time because I was a little lost in your post. How do teams score goals? Well obviously, they put shots on goal. Almost every goal scored in every league in the world comes from inside the blue line. Now you're probably ask well what does this have to do with point production of certain players on certain teams? Everything. I think everyone will agree with me that the best teams in the state have a pretty solid core of defensemen. If a team only has one or two defenseman who are skilled enough to keep the puck in the zone, and do something productive with the puck at that, scoring opportunities will greatly decrease, obviously, because the puck will leave the offensive zone and the attacking team will have to leave the zone and completely re-group. With an offense like this you are relying solely on the ability of the three forwards on the ice to create a mismatch opportunity where they can expose a weakness in a team and create an oddman rush. If you want to believe that having players like Erick Galt, Danny Wurden, Ryan Ladaucer (sp), Tyler Jundt, Tyler Swanson on your blue line are not going to help increase the point production of your forwards, your view of the game of hockey is extremely eschew. With that said, the higher quality of players you have on your roster, the easier it will be for you to keep the puck in the offensive zone, therefore you will score more goals.

In theory, the more time you have on the ice, the more opportunities to score you will have. Which in some cases may be true. But if you have only one other player around you that is quality enough to help generate offense, it does not many how many minutes of playing time you are given. Because every minute you are on the ice you will essentially be shorthanded as far as creating goal scoring opportunities goes. I don't think in all honesty that you believe had Paul Weisgarber played with Zach Flaig and Alex Kaiser of Jamestown last season he would have still led the state in scoring.

My point was not what players would make what teams had they tried out for those teams. Again, it seems like your over-zealous pride of you alma mater clouded your vision to see a relevant point rather than your belief that I was saying many players from other teams were good enough to play for Red River or South. I used Red River and South as an example because they were clearly the top two teams in the state last season and had certain players on those teams not had the privilege of playing with such quality players their point production would have almost certainly decreased. This is not a hit to those players or anyone, just a matter of fact, and how the game of hockey works.