SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

The '92 Championship team was groomed by Bruce Olson. Sampson didn't have to do much in the sense of coaching. I have never heard anything good about Sampson, but it's the players that dictate how the game goes. If you have attitudes on the team, you can only ride talent for so long. Cause when they face adversity, their true colors show. '04 Minot is a good example. GFC put up a couple right away on them and they folded. Took penalties and gave up. A coach can only do so much, the players have to do the rest.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the EDC top four looking to be-

1. South

1. Red River

3. North

4. Grafton?

South and RR look to be a step ahead of the others. It's hard to say who is better, but South had impressive victories over Grafton and White Bear Lake. Sean Deichert may be the difference. I was at the Grafton game, and although North won, I still think Grafton is the better team. They need to stay out of the box and straighten out their goaltending, but they should be okay. I would put it in this order:

1. South and Red River

3. Grafton

4. Devils Lake and North

Central will be in the thick of it before the year is out, and may grab the No. 4 spot.

Sean Diechert is a great goalie and will definitly be a Mr. Hockey candidate. However, when will we see how good he really is? Last year he did not face many shots a game due to the talent South has on the defensive side of the puck, and when he did see shots, where were they coming from? Poor angles. In my opinion this could hurt Seans chance at Mr. Hockey if it is taken into account. The coachs may tip there hat to a player on a weaker team who elevates his teams play to another level (Everson, Bombenger, Hillman, Hills (GPR)). Just a thought. I have no idea who will be up for Mr. Hockey, as far as I can see it is wide open.

its still early and a lot of things can change, but its tough to say he isnt showing how good he is when he stopped over 30 shots against White Bear Lake...but that is just one game...true success needs to be shown over a compilation of games.

as an aside, my memory isnt that great so if someone could say the past mr. hockey winners and their respective teams along with how that team finished at the state tournament that would be great. i couldnt find anything on the internet, but i believe that most winners played on a team that finished number 1 or 2 in the state...

its still early and a lot of things can change, but its tough to say he isnt showing how good he is when he stopped over 30 shots against White Bear Lake...but that is just one game...true success needs to be shown over a compilation of games.

as an aside, my memory isnt that great so if someone could say the past mr. hockey winners and their respective teams along with how that team finished at the state tournament that would be great. i couldnt find anything on the internet, but i believe that most winners played on a team that finished number 1 or 2 in the state...

Weisgarber (South 1st), Marto (central 2nd), Moreland or Mcintyre?(central 1st), K. Moreland? (central 1st?)

The '92 Championship team was groomed by Bruce Olson. Sampson didn't have to do much in the sense of coaching. I have never heard anything good about Sampson, but it's the players that dictate how the game goes. If you have attitudes on the team, you can only ride talent for so long. Cause when they face adversity, their true colors show. '04 Minot is a good example. GFC put up a couple right away on them and they folded. Took penalties and gave up. A coach can only do so much, the players have to do the rest.

I absolutely agree about the fact that its the players that dictate how the game goes. I played for Mr. Samson (absolutely a wonderful individual, great guy indeed) and he didn't cost us one hockey game. We lost it as players with the attitudes we had going into the games, or just on lack of talent. Are there better coaches out there than Samson? I think so. But last year the same thing happened to Minot at the state tournament. I think Chad Burckhard said it best last year when he mentioned that the problem is between the ears of the kids from Minot.

Bis high just beat hazen 3-0. They only had scored 1 goal untill midway through the 3rd. The hazen goalie was amazing. Does this show Hazen Beulah as a contender, or was bis high exposed?

Yea bismarck high was exposed in their shut-out win. Now everyone knows that they have good goaltending and average forwards. O'wait we already knew that.

Sean Deichert is off to a great start and he probably had a lot better junior year campaign, in relation to Everson. Just a thought...

Yes he was very solid last year, and seems to be even better this year. The fact is there are very few quality goaltenders this year. It is nice to see atleast one goalie has a good shot at playing after high school.

Jamestown will lose by double digits

BTW i also heard today that Tyrel Mcbain who transfered from Hazen Beulah to Fargo South cant play untill the second semester. What i heard that is interesting is that his parents might get divorced so that he can play right away, some kind of rabbit hole they found.

Interesting. Way to take those vows seriously.

How does that go...for richer, or for poorer, for better, or for worse, as long as we both shall live...or until our son has a chance to play for a better hockey team. :lol:

My nephew plays for South. I'll do a little under-cover investigating to see what I can find out. :0

I would say more like Red River 6 Jamestown 1

I would agree with ndm on this one. RR always has trouble with Jamestown in Jamestown early in the game. I would say that it will be within a 2-3 goals going into the 3rd period then RR will turn it on and put 4-6 goals in in the 3rd. So my prediction would be more like a 9-0 or something relatively close to that.

East in Decending order:

9. Shanley: Ouch!

8/7. Whapeton/WF: This could go either way. I expect these teams to split. WF really fell off from last year. Neither teams have any talent.

6. North: The Red-River/North and South/North games could be interesting and by interesting I mean blow-outs. Shaky goaltending and minimal talent.

5.GPR: Shaky goaltending, Average defensmen, Solid upfront.

4. Central: decent goaltending, talent will come around like always.

3. DL: Closer to others then they are to South/ Red River. But still the 3rd best team in the east due to the state being down.

2. Red River: Tough call on this one but goaltending is the difference. Solid players.

1. South: Tough goalie, Solid players.

Bottom line: The middle fell out of the east from last year. RR and South seem to be the only complete teams. GPR has the horses upfront but they have brutal goaltending. North will come back down to earth when they lose by ten to RR or South. Central will be in there because they have better goaltending then North, GPR, and Whap.

Four teams to state: Central, DL, South, RR

Interesting. Way to take those vows seriously.

How does that go...for richer, or for poorer, for better, or for worse, as long as we both shall live...or until our son has a chance to play for a better hockey team. :angry:

My nephew plays for South. I'll do a little under-cover investigating to see what I can find out. ;)

Well, he can practice and he can play JV now. Second semester starts like Jan. 2nd. You're saying they'd divorce for one extra month of varsity as a junior? Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

This is what I know.

Dad lives in Hazen-Beulah area. Mom lives in WEST Fargo. Kid goes to school at Fargo South. He is not playing now (but did play on the Elite II team), and will not start right away into the 2nd semester. His time isnt up until shortly after that time.

Are they divorcing? Dont know, but if they are it may have already been in the works.

My question. Why move to West Fargo, but have the kid sit out the waiting period, when the move could have been to the South area, and he could have played right away?

I did hear the coach is tough this year. If you get in trouble and cant play, he makes sure you are not involved in ANY school extra cirricular activities.

Investigation complete. :angry:

This is what I know.

Dad lives in Hazen-Beulah area. Mom lives in WEST Fargo. Kid goes to school at Fargo South. He is not playing now (but did play on the Elite II team), and will not start right away into the 2nd semester. His time isnt up until shortly after that time.

Are they divorcing? Dont know, but if they are it may have already been in the works.

My question. Why move to West Fargo, but have the kid sit out the waiting period, when the move could have been to the South area, and he could have played right away?

I did hear the coach is tough this year. If you get in trouble and cant play, he makes sure you are not involved in ANY school extra cirricular activities.

Mom and Dad are still married and Mom makes the trip back to Hazen frequently. Tyrel is playing JV right now(scored his first goal against White Bear Lake?), and can move up(I'm not going to play coach and say he is moving up) after he sits out the mandatory 90 day period.

The move to West Fargo.........that is where Grandma lives and where they are currently staying. Whether or not it was West Fargo or the Fargo South area he would be ineligible(according to NDHSAA rules) to compete in varsity athletics unless both parents move from their residence. I do believe he could have gotten around this by applying for open enrollment before the deadline, and of course there are always special circumstances that can affect this(including divorce........hence, the rumor)

This is what I know.

Would this (Tyler) be "Dr. McBain's" grandson? He delivered me and one of my sister's back in the day.

Would this (Tyler) be "Dr. McBain's" grandson? He delivered me and one of my sister's back in the day.

No, it's not. Doc's name is spelled McBane. Great guy. I worked at Mercy Hospital in Devils Lake for many years. He would always come up to the nurses station in the morning (or anytime for that matter) and say "Hi all you birds". Never figured out why we were called birds. I still get to see him and his wife at the Sioux games.