SiouxSports.com Forum

LM Glasfiber

GeauxSioux

This story has been making it's way around the globe.

U.S. wind turbine blade company scrambling to hire workers as Danish company expands

AU: U.S. wind turbine blade company scrambling to hire workers as Danish company expands

By the end of this year, the Denmark-based wind turbine blade maker is expected to become the largest manufacturer in Grand Forks in terms of employees, a status that also would rival the largest employer in the agricultural sector, J.R. Simplot.

If the employment is long term, it would be great for GF.

Awesome business to be in. It definitely seems poised for continued growth, 500 employees in G.F. will be great for the community. In addition to adding on to a solid manufacturing base, they will include some higher level jobs, too.

I would guess that support for alternative energy will be steady in coming years; Repubs think America's addiction to oil is a security threat (as discussed in the last State of the Union), and the newly in power Dems view it as a conservation issue.

Awesome business to be in. It definitely seems poised for continued growth, 500 employees in G.F. will be great for the community. In addition to adding on to a solid manufacturing base, they will include some higher level jobs, too.

I would guess that support for alternative energy will be steady in coming years; Repubs think America's addiction to oil is a security threat (as discussed in the last State of the Union), and the newly in power Dems view it as a conservation issue.

If the goal is met, LM will employ almost 1 % of GF County. Every Sunday running an add plus t.v. and radio. Also trying to recruit the F/M area.

Read in the paper 2005 job service stats for mfg wage was $29.210.

LM is probably right in the ball park.

LM seems to be taking heat from other employers about "stealing" their employee's. ;)

Believe me the crying is starting. See Cirrus and Amazon.com. :D

The solution, pay what the market is at and you won't have said problem. :D

To bad 20/20 didn't pass might of helped DMI of Fargo and LM Glasfiber (ND) :D

Just my .02 :D

A little more on jobs in N.D., and this company in particular:

N.D. tries to lure workers back home

Dan Gordon from LM Glasfiber in Grand Forks was hunting for engineers and managers who would be paid $40,000 to $100,000, or maybe even more, to fill needs at the rapidly expanding maker of turbine blades used in wind-powered electric generators.

Glasfiber opened in 1999 with 40 employees, and early next year should have more than 700, Gordon said.

The Denmark-based company is looking for engineers and a plant manager, among other positions, in Grand Forks.

And how G.F.'s job growth is finally back matching its regional peers post-flood:

Job Growth: Equal among its peers

With much more in-depth analysis on Mr. Tran's blog:

More jobs = higher wages

The news just keeps getting better with LM Glasfiber

LM likely will employ 720 in '07

LM Glasfiber reported Monday that it plans to expand employment at its Grand Forks plant to 720 early next year.

That's about 200 more than previous reports from the Denmark-based wind turbine blade-maker, which has been on a hiring spree all year long.

As I was flying into Germany on my way to Iraq...I could see hundreds of these wind turbines scattered across the countryside. It seemed that every little community had their own turbine with some larger wind farms as well.

ND Wind Project Data Base

I am surprised that Grand Forks doesn't have at least one...you would think they could save a bunch on shipping. :silly:

Me thinks the wages could increase in Grand Forks. The labor force for support for LM could be huge!

Think about it. materials, service work etc.

"One of the constraints we have here is this building can't handle larger molds," he said. "The future is larger molds."

Hmmm what's all that land out on 32nd avenue doing right now... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not to mention 700 people they all have to eat correct? Boy if I had a vested interest in one or two fast food places.....

And I like the mention of UND. Now if we could just lure DMI from Fargo... Wind Power .... :huh:

Just my .02 :glare:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

LM Glasfiber Announces Blade Plant at Little Rock

With this announcement, looks like GF's LM Glasfiber manufacturing employment has probably hit a peak. It would be great if LM Glasfiber started a technical center in GF.

LM Glasfiber on Wednesday officially announced plans to open a new plant at Little Rock that will make fiberglass wind turbine blades. ...

The company said the plant would begin operations in first quarter 2008 and would employ more than 1,000 within five years. The company did not release financial details of the project, but news reports Wednesday put the price tag of the investment at about $150 million.

"The site itself offers excellent logistical options, whether by road, rail, air or marine," he said. "And when we considered the kind of amenities that are conducive for LM Glasfiber to attract and retain the people and talent we need, Little Rock was a natural choice for us.

LM Glasfiber Announces Blade Plant at Little Rock

With this announcement, looks like GF's LM Glasfiber manufacturing employment has probably hit a peak. It would be great if LM Glasfiber started a technical center in GF.

I believe that the main reason they went South was to access marine transportation. Some of the blades are about 42 meters (almost 130 feet) long with 123 layers of fiberglass, and the new blades are just over 65 meters (215 feet), so they need to ship them by barge. I thought they'd end up building a facility North of New Orleans on the Mississippi, but they must have gotten a deal in Little Rock. I've never been to Little Rock, but the Arkansas River must be large enough for barge traffic over to the Mississippi River. The shorter blades can be transported by rail and truck

The Grand Forks plant has done an outstanding job of reducing their cycle times and becoming very productive. With the large number of fiberglass layers that are layed into each blade, it creates all kinds of quality issues if they don't complete a blade in one 10 hour shift. Just a couple months ago they were at a 23 hour cycle time and I believe they've reduced it to about 8 hours now. If the Red River flowed over to the Mississippi, I suspect GF would have had a chance of doing the big blades also.

The Grand Forks plant has done an outstanding job of reducing their cycle times and becoming very productive. With the large number of fiberglass layers that are layed into each blade, it creates all kinds of quality issues if they don't complete a blade in one 10 hour shift. Just a couple months ago they were at a 23 hour cycle time and I believe they've reduced it to about 8 hours now. If the Red River flowed over to the Mississippi, I suspect GF would have had a chance of doing the big blades also.

agreed :lol:

• 5 weeks later...