SiouxSports.com Forum

North Vs South

Riverman

I think something needs to be done for games with USD. I'm thinking a traveling trophy of some sorts. We could find something creative couldn't we?? Ideas anyone?? Let's pack the AL this weekend and have a rockin atmosphere!

They had one for years, until political correctness reared its ugly head. ;)

I thought SD lost it. Let me rephrase and say "misplaced."

UND and USD played for the Sitting Bull trophy from 1953 to 1999.

As far as I know, unfortunately the Sitting Bull trophy is locked in a dark storage closet somewhere on the UND campus. :huh: I agree though, they should have come up with another trophy if they had to discontinue the the use of the Sitting Bull. Perhaps since both are Law schools, a giant judges gavel would be appropriate, or something.

BTW, I think all Sioux fans should adopt Central Washington as our second favorite NCC team this week, as they will be hosted by Omaha. :D

It is going to be a huge and exciting game next weekend with alot of implications. If UND wins we get a share of the NCC title. More importantly, if UND wins, they'll probably get the #2 seed going into the playoffs.

I think it is going to be another thriller. After yesterday, USD is coming into this game with top overall defense and offense in the leauge.

I think something needs to be done for games with USD. I'm thinking a traveling trophy of some sorts. We could find something creative couldn't we?? Ideas anyone??

A large piece of rock from the Badlands that would or could be found on the Dakota's border.

LETS PACK THE AL!!!!!

That would be nice, considering the magnitude of this game, and depending on what happens in court on thursday, it could be our last home game. However, as it is opening weekend for deer season, I'd be surprised if there are over 8,000 at the game this weekend. :blush:

I thought the hearing this weak was to look at getting an injuction against the NCAA not allowing us to host playoff games?

I probably misinterpeted your post, but it wasn't completely clear.

The hearing this week is on the preliminary injunction. If Judge Jahnke doesn't grant the preliminary injunction, it doesn't mean the case it over. North Dakota is also asking for a permanent injunction and damages in a jury trial.

So if you're saying it's could be the last home game of the season if the preliminary injunction isn't granted, then, yes, that's true. If you're saying it's the last home playoff game, that's not necessarily so.

Sorry for the confusion. :blush:

LETS PACK THE AL!!!!!

Packing the AL would be nice for this weekends game...............however, even with a packed house (13,500), the attendance count would not actually show a sellout. From another thread a month or two ago, it was stated that UND does the official attendance count at the football games and they only have control over the lower bowl seats, something like 12,270 give or take. So unless I'm missing something here and if I am, people please point it out, the actual attendance at games is more than what is ever reported.

For those who believe that history tends to repeat itself, I offer this regarding USD--although they've had good records the past three years, their BEST road wins have been over teams that ended the season with 6-5 records (Augie last year and Mankato in 2004). To put it mildly, they've had their struggles on the road against good teams (and occasionally, against some not-so-good teams). UND is 27-1 at home since late in the 2002 season, and although there have been a couple of less-than-impressive offensive performances at home this year, none have been with Manke playing. If the Sioux play smart, e.g. kick away from Logan to the extent possible and the db's not cheat up to stop the run only to get beaten deep, I am pretty confident UND wins this one. USD's pass defense tends to get exposed badly on the road (Mankato this year; Duluth last year), and the Manke-to-Dressler combo is better than anything they've seen.

USD did bad things to UNO Saturday in the DakotaDome.

Then again, last time UND was down there ....

UND needs to go into this game focused on execution, and winning.

One more note for Mr. Enger and friends:

USD's Stefan Logan moved into the Top Ten in NCAA Division II career all-purpose yardage (7,265). He had his 33rd career 100-yard rushing game (one shy of NCAA record).

USD's rushers and receivers on Saturday:

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

--------------------------------------------

Stefan Logan 24 170 7 163 2 36 6.8

Travis Mlady 11 87 0 87 2 54 7.9

Noah Shepard 10 41 0 41 1 14 4.1

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

-----------------------------------

Jordan Murphy 2 78 1 44 (other was 34)

Desmond Allison 2 49 0 28 (other was 21)

Alex Perkowski 1 45 0 45

Brooks Little 1 23 0 23

Totals... 6 195 1 45

The shortest(!) reception on the day: 21 yards.

Draw you up with run, draw you up, draw you up, throw over you.

USD's rushers and receivers on Saturday:

The shortest(!) reception on the day: 21 yards.

Draw you up with run, draw you up, draw you up, throw over you.

The db's absolutely have to be disciplined. USD is probably only going to throw about 15 times, but it's clear that when they do, it will go for big yards unless the db's are very conscious of not cheating up to stop the run. On the bright side, I don't think this year's version of the USD offense is really any better than in 2004 (Beschorner's junior year, Logan's sophomore), at least in terms of talent, and aside from a couple of big Logan runs, UND did pretty well against them. I take last year's game with something of a grain of salt due to the fact that Beschorner had an unbelievable season, and UND was so shell-shocked from the meltdown against UNO that I don't believe that was the "real" Sioux defense that was shredded so badly.

...... I take last year's game with something of a grain of salt due to the fact that Beschorner had an unbelievable season, and UND was so shell-shocked from the meltdown against UNO that I don't believe that was the "real" Sioux defense that was shredded so badly.

Also remember what a different team UND was in last year's game once Manke went in? I expect that team to be on the field from start to finish this weekend.