SiouxSports.com Forum

Forum mentions UND and USD as possible Gateway expansion targets

MplsBison

The Big Sky folks could be facing a geographic dilemma soon:

- the western wing of the BSC is making "departure" noises for west coast based conferences

- the Mid-Con and Gateway are creeping west

- they could soon be marginalized into a mountainous wedge of the country for a footprint

Where will the BSC find schools even further in the future if they don't do something with the footprint now?

I don't claim to know how this will all turn out.

But I do know we live in interesting times.

If UND and USD could be guaranteed membership in the Mid Con and Gateway WITH NDSU and SDSU, would the Big Sky really still be the best choice for the UxDs?

There's no way.

I have to say "hold that thought just for a minute".

What are the long-term goals and strategies of the various conferences and how do they align with the long-term goals of the schools?

I don't think there will be any conference invites for the UxDs until they are a year or two from eligibility. I would think that there would need to be some teams leaving the MidCon or the Gateway to open up a spot for the UxDs, but who knows where that will be in 5 years. The conference affilliations seem to always have some turmoil and change going on.

The big problem for the UxDs is that an ineligible school does not help a conference maintain the minimum number for an autobid.....

I don't think there will be any conference invites for the UxDs until they are a year or two from eligibility. I would think that there would need to be some teams leaving the MidCon or the Gateway to open up a spot for the UxDs, but who knows where that will be in 5 years. The conference affilliations seem to always have some turmoil and change going on.

The big problem for the UxDs is that an ineligible school does not help a conference maintain the minimum number for an autobid.....

A wise man once asked "What are the long-term goals and strategies of the various conferences ...?" Would you rather have a school for 3-4 years that does fit for the autobid or get a solid stable school that doesn't qualify at the present, but would be a future anchor for the conference. Keeping in mind of course that you don't presently need to have them qualify and you are just protecting your future.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA deals with the Southland Conference/Central Arkansas proposal. If it's passed, that would allow the Mid-Con (or Big Sky) to take the Us immediately and not hurt their conference. For the Mid-Con getting to 12 would allow Divisional schedule that would likely lower costs for all schools as well as provide an extra buffer should Southern Utah or Centenary eventually leave. Like the SUs, the Us are attractive as flagship schools, and could really help boost the profile of the league. If it was done quickly, it could also make a Mid-Con football league a reality. The NCAA favors all-sports leagues, and in that way the Mid-Con could be preferable to the Gateway, especially if Western Illinois could be brought in. That would drop the Gateway to six, and with Youngstown as a possibly defection to I-A a loss of the autobid could happen.