SiouxSports.com Forum

Fan Boards

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Notre Dame has only one loss and it was to the 2nd ranked team in the nation. They should be ranked higher than all of those frauds from the overrated SEC conference.

I agree. USC lost to Oregon State and if I am not mistaken OS was not even ranked, yet USC is still in front of Notre Dame. I do like the BCS system but it appears there are faults in the way the rankings are obtained.

I agree. USC lost to Oregon State and if I am not mistaken OS was not even ranked, yet USC is still in front of Notre Dame. I do like the BCS system but it appears there are faults in the way the rankings are obtained.

I agree with the fact that USC hasn't beaten anybody of note besides Arkansas, but are you serious about Notre Dame? Who has Notre Dame beat? Michigan State, Navy, Purdue, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Penn St.? The only 2 "pretty good" schools in their win column are the last 2 I mentioned. And those teams aren't going anywhere significant this year. Notre Dame's schedule is a comparable schedule to that of a typical SEC conference team schedule. ;) Yea Right. Notre Dame is about the 10th best team in the country, right where it should be.

We'll see in a couple of months... maybe. If one the SEC teams is unfortunate enough to get matched up with the Irish in a bowl game, I have supreme confidence that Notre Dame will emerge victorious.

I may make a friendly wager with you, if indeed an SEC team is paired with Notre Dame in a bowl game. Depending on which team it is of course. I think that Auburn or Florida would take Notre Dame out.

Notre Dame has only one loss and it was to the 2nd ranked team in the nation. They should be ranked higher than all of those frauds from the overrated SEC conference.

It's NOW the 2nd ranked team in the nation, DaveK. Where were these two schools ranked when they played? The fact is NO TEAM that loses a game 47-21 in its own building should whine about rankings. So Tennessee spanks the Pac 10's supposed big-shot Cal and the SEC is somehow over-rated? Yea, yea, yea, USC smoked Arkansas, so that practically evens out. I guess my point is that Charlie thinks ND is still a legitimate title contender, but how?

Let me pose this question to you, assuming all other teams not named Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State wind up the regular season with two losses.

Michigan loses to Ohio State by 7 in a thriller.

Are you telling me that by virtue of Michigan losing a late season game, that Notre Dame should vault past Michigan and wind up playing in the national title game?

Ohio State loses to Michigan by 7 in a thriller.

Again, there is no way possible you can consider Notre Dame a national championship threat. What exactly is Charlie lobbying for? To be ranked higher than Texas or Florida? Relax, Charlie. While you're busy playing Navy and Purdue, Texas has to win the Big XII title game and Florida still has the SEC title game left. These things will shake themselves out.

Much like last year only Michigan is obviously much better, Notre Dame feasts on a schedule loaded with mediocre and below-par teams, then cries foul that they're not in the top five? Cmon, Charlie, gimme a break. You're on the same pace as a coach who was fired a while back only you got a pat on the back and a lifetime commitment from Notre Dame. Rah Irish.

If Notre Dame somehow ended up in the NCAA title game and one-loss Michigan was left outside looking in, it would be the biggest travesty in college football since Michigan became the only team EVER to be ranked #1 going into its bowl game, WIN its bowl game, then get dumped as the national champion (1997 when the coaches turned around and voted Nebraska #1).

The college football playoff is alive and well every single weekend. And Notre Dame getting trounced at home eliminated the Irish.

You can't use the rankings to benefit your point on one hand, then turn around and say its subjective and total nonsense. Last time I checked, the "experts" said Notre Dame was the #2 team in the country when they played Michigan. Obviously, they were wrong. Again, the point is, what's Charlie crying about? Where's this supposed anti-Irish bias?

So, DaveK, to illustrate your point...Michigan State will no doubt wind up 3-7 or 4-6 or something terrible and John L. Smith will get canned. Does that mean that Notre Dame beat a terrible opponent when they played earlier this year? Hardly. At the time, Michigan State was 2-0 and steamrolling. The choke against the Irish has obviously caused a downward spiral to their season. So regardless of what you think, I DO think that the rankings and record come into play when playing an opponent. The end-of-season ranking is hindsight thinking.