SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs QUINNIPIAC Friday Game Thread

AZSIOUX

dagies, you saw all that on your fuzzy computer screen?!

On my computer screen, I could basically see little white blobs, and little dark blobs. And sometimes the white blobs and the dark blobs would all turn towards a moving invisible object, as though they were drawn to it, although I never saw the mystery object myself. I'm not sure that's my preferred way to watch a game, but I was happy to read that the white blobs won.

Maybe you need glasses? :glare::ohmy:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only saw the third period. Do you know why they did not play?

bishop was a healthy scratch, forney has been trying to get healthy, shoulder injury but he may play tomorrow. its not serious. just being cautious. hak said if these games were really important he would have played.

Random thoughts:

This Fighting Sioux team has lots and lots of horsepower! They really showed speed tonight. A month from now, after everyone has a chance to get a feel for where their linemates are going to be, this could be a real fireworks display.

I can't believe all the times the Sioux had a guy all alone in the slot tonight and couldn't close the deal. A Q d-man would get there at the last minute, or the puck was bouncing, or whatever, but this game could've easily been 10, 11 to 1.

In fact, PL should've had a shutout, but Chorney, Lee and Porter all missed on that pass from behind the net. Phil had no chance.

Got away with several defensive breakdowns. But either Lammy pulled the fat out of the fire, or someone showed up late to save the day.

At one point in the third, I believe, our penalty kill looked like a bantam team out there. Our guys couldn't find their men to save their souls. All four Sioux skaters were out of position horribly; had Q made a pass the shut-out would've been gone sooner. That has to be corrected soon.

Young Genoway is a dynamo! I imagine he got ice time tonight because of Finley's, er, incident this week. It'll be interesting to see how long Hak sits Joe. I'm really surprised this hasn't made the news. Nevertheless, Chay is a pretty confident little skater out there. And tough.

The Fabian-Kaip-Miller line is something. Box score had them for six points and Fabian ended the night a plus-3. Erik looks bigger on his skates this year.

Speaking of size, I think Lee looks bigger, Chorney is definitely bulked up, and Osh and Toews seem bigger, too.

Young Zajac loves to shoot.

I, too, questioned Hak's decision to keep Osh and Jon on the same line, for fear the team would be too easy to defense. Once again proving why he's the coach and I'm the cranky, balding old guy, Hak was right. Seems Q thought if they stopped the First line they'd have a chance, only to be snake-bitten by our third and fourth lines! Doh!!!!!!!!!!!

When these kids get into form they'll maybe make us forget about all the losses from last year's team. It's pretty clear this team is more of a team than we saw last year; I saw lots of unselfish passes and hustle.

And Philippe is the real deal. He made some great saves early when our guys were having trouble in our own zone.

Pretty nice start on the road to St. Louis.

dagies, you saw all that on your fuzzy computer screen?!

On my computer screen, I could basically see little white blobs, and little dark blobs. And sometimes the white blobs and the dark blobs would all turn towards a moving invisible object, as though they were drawn to it, although I never saw the mystery object myself. I'm not sure that's my preferred way to watch a game, but I was happy to read that the white blobs won.

Wait, I thought the dark blobs were the Sioux?

mikejm- Some good comments but here's an interesting statistic on last night with goal breakdowns:

PP Goals: 2 (Oshie, Zajac)

4th Line Goals: 2 (Martens, Zajac)

3rd Line GOals: 1 (Miller)

2nd Line Goals: 1 (Watkins)

1st Line Goals: 0

So, your argument thus far that the first line needs to be broken up is valid but not for the reasons that they make all our eggs in one basket. They need to be seperated because they're the only line last night that didn't score a goal 5 on 5! Seriously, though, if the opposition is too busy worrying about our first line, I think our other lines will shine.

To whomever it was earlier that said Miller is the next Prpich, I beg to differ. Prpich was a rough and tumble enforcer type that can score. I see the "can score" part of that in Miller's game, but the rough and tumble part fits Kaip better than Miller.

It was a fun game to see, and lots of positives. The speed and hustle of Fabian-Kaip were very evident. Look for those guys to have a good year. TJ and Toews are magic, but I don't think they really have it together yet. Close, but not quite there. They had some moves that were fantastic, but couldn't finish. Lammy looked solid in net. Miller and Martens have really stepped it up. And the new guys, I think we have some gamers. I agree with the comments on Genoway. This guy may have a huge upside. Zajac was in it all night. I also saw the power play do some things that we haven't been doing the past few years. On the one they got into a rotation that was so fast the Q guys heads were spinning. It resulted in Oshie's goal.

On the not quite so good side, I thought the defense was soft. We gave up quite a few odd man rushes. We gave Q way too many close in shots, and shots without the guy being challenged. You can credit Lammy with keeping Q off the scoreboard as long as he did. The last thing is that I thought our D behind our own net was slow at times. The Q wingers were easily running them down from behind on the attempted breakout. The defensive things are correctable. Vandevelde does look slow and not quite with it, but as Dagies noticed, he had some good moments in the third.

Overall, it is good to see all of the contribution from the freshmen and the sophomores who didn't get to play all that much last year. This isn't a WCHA game yet, but this team has speed up front and through all four lines. If they can progress like the past two teams have progressed, this will really really be fun by the end of the year. I am hoping to see Bishop and Forney in the lineup tonight to see how those two look. I though Bishop looked good against Manitoba, but would like to see him again tonight.

Isn't Oshie on the first line? headscratch.gif

Or do power play goals by the first line not count? shrug.gif

Darcy Zajac's former coach says he's the next Prpich. Prpich thinks Kaip could be the next him. It's good to have competition. :glare:

mikejm- Some good comments but here's an interesting statistic on last night with goal breakdowns:

PP Goals: 2 (Oshie, Zajac)

4th Line Goals: 2 (Martens, Zajac)

3rd Line GOals: 1 (Miller)

2nd Line Goals: 1 (Watkins)

So, your argument thus far that the first line needs to be broken up is valid but not for the reasons that they make all our eggs in one basket. They need to be seperated because they're the only line last night that didn't score a goal 5 on 5! Seriously, though, if the opposition is too busy worrying about our first line, I think our other lines will shine.

To whomever it was earlier that said Miller is the next Prpich, I beg to differ. Prpich was a rough and tumble enforcer type that can score. I see the "can score" part of that in Miller's game, but the rough and tumble part fits Kaip better than Miller.

i think that shows the depth that this team has on forward...guys like miller and martens did not even play last year and did great last night. i think that the offense made some mistakes, but the d made the most that were noticable...its going to be interesting to see if the 1st line can beat uw's d, given the skill of this line i feel that they may have been the worst, i did not like how that line was trying to be too flashy instead of moving the puck.

...your argument thus far that the first line needs to be broken up is valid but not for the reasons that they make all our eggs in one basket.

What I was trying to say (too damn late to be typing... :glare: ) was that leaving Toews and Osh together would make us too easy to shut down. Obviously that didn't happen. Once these two get used to skating together this line could be something very, very special to behold, especially with Duncan holding up his end of the bargain. I can't imagine how many points they could put up.

And, as you so succinctly point out with the stats, redwing, an opponent can't just focus on stopping our first line, cause the other three will quickly put a game out of reach. Who would've ever guessed that after one game, our scoring stats would look like this:

Brad Miller 1-2-3 4/+2

Darcy Zajac 2-0-2 5/+1

Ryan Martens 1-1-2 1/+2

Erik Fabian 0-2-2 2/+3

Andrew Kozek 0-2-2 3/+1

Matt Watkins 1-0-1 3/+1

Chris Porter 0-1-1 4/+1

Rylan Kaip 0-1-1 1/+1

Brian Lee 0-1-1 1/+1

Robbie Bina 0-1-1 0/+1

T.J. Oshie 1-0-1 3/E

Jonathan Toews 0-1-1 5/E

Zach Jones 0-0-0 0/+2

Chay Genoway 0-0-0 2/+2

Taylor Chorney 0-0-0 1/+1

Chris VandeVelde 0-0-0 0/+1

Ryan Duncan 0-0-0 2/E

Kyle Radke 0-0-0 1/E

If this keeps up, it'll really mess up a lot of fantasy leagues!!!