SiouxSports.com Forum

Reciprocity

GeauxSioux

With the population of ND stagnant, UND will continue to bring in students from out of state. With which states does UND currently have reciproctiy?

Is there any agreement with Manitoba? If not, is it even possible? I can see a lot of Winnipeg kids wanting to come to UND, as I remember that there were quite a few in the early 80's when I was in school.

With the game against Manitoba coming up this weekend, this topic came to mind.

MINNESOTA TUITION RECIPROCITY

Residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend a North Dakota state institution of higher learning and pay a special tuition rate that is lower than the normal non-resident rate. This rate is determined by averaging the tuition costs of the North Dakota and Minnesota state university systems. All UND students from Minnesota are included. To be certified for reciprocity at UND, Minnesota students must (1) file UND

Is there any agreement with Manitoba? If not, is it even possible? I can see a lot of Winnipeg kids wanting to come to UND, as I remember that there were quite a few in the early 80's when I was in school.

With the game against Manitoba coming up this weekend, this topic came to mind.

It's interesting that you should mention that. This seems to have flown under the radar.

• 2 months later...

I believe this has been talked about in a different thread, but I couldn't find it. It appears that Dr. K has commented on the proposal in Minnesota that would allow free tuition to top Minnesota students at Minnesota universities.

http://www.startribune.com/1592/story/857517.html

I'm not sure how likely this idea will be passed into law, but now that the Dems control both Houses in Minnesota and I believe this was Pawlenty's idea in the first place, I think the chances are greater than before. The impact on UND would be devastating.

I think this threat is a little overblown. Minnesota is already a selective school, so I think this just means that students already there are going to get a break. I don't know how much higher their enrollment can possibly get. I think UND also draws a lot of students that simply don't want to go to a school that big or live in the Twin Cities. This will just force UND to more aggressively recruit other areas, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

I've sort of followed Pawlenty's proposal over the past few months, and I don't think he's ever mentioned how he would pay for it. Not only the tuition hit, but also the increased need for facilities, faculty, etc. to cope with any expected influx. Texas did/does the same thing for the top-10% to get around affirmative action issues, and I vaguely recall there being negative impacts felt at smaller institutions that are less prestigious than Texas-Austin and A&M where everybody wants to end up.

Overall, I think UND would still be competitive for many of the best Minnesota HS students, but it may have to try harder, and ramp up the scholarship $$$.

I think this threat is a little overblown. Minnesota is already a selective school, so I think this just means that students already there are going to get a break. I don't know how much higher their enrollment can possibly get. I think UND also draws a lot of students that simply don't want to go to a school that big or live in the Twin Cities. This will just force UND to more aggressively recruit other areas, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Under the proposal, the tuition waiver would not be limited to the University of Minnesota. It could be used to any public college in Minnesota.

Here's more info on the proposal