SiouxSports.com Forum

Kozek Article

Just Curious

That's a great article. Thanks for posting. Kozek looks like a real prize. Let's hope he can have some similar success in his 2nd D1 season as he had in his second junior season.

That experience taught me about the value of leadership and how tight you have to be as a team if you expect to have any chance of winning," Kozek said. "You have to show up every night and play 100 percent for each other. Those experiences of playing in Game 7's, going on the road against better teams, and coming through the adversity of playing with injuries and taking on larger roles because of those injuries and accepting the responsibility (were big lessons)."

Kozek was quick to point out how helpful North Dakota coach Dave Hakstol has been to his transition to the college game.

"The little nuances in the game that you sometimes do not notice as a freshman, he was great at showing those things in a way that you can apply quickly to your game," Kozek said.

I know Toews and Oshie are flashier players, but my favorite play was made by Kozek in the MTU series at the Ralph.

Play was against the boards and John Scott sent the puck back around his own goal to the side of the rink where the penalty boxes are. Well, I don't recall who was there, but I do recall watching Kozek go from between the faceoff circles and absolutely smearing John Scott against the boards in a BEAUTIFUL hit. He then casually got up, skated back in between the faceoff circles in time to recieve a pass (again, I don't recall who it was who made the pass) and buried the puck in the back of the MTU net. I realize that the goal wasn't the flashiest nor particularly challenging (Kozek was open thanks to laying out Scott), but it surely was the best one-two punch in my opinion. Big hit, and a goal. WOW.

I look forward to seeing what's in store for Kozek this year.

I am looking forward to seeing how players like Kozek and Watkins play this year. With all of last year's depth, there were lots of players on 3rd or 4th lines that had alot of offensive potential. With the departures, we should see Kozek, Watkins, Martens, and Miller step up and fill more active roles. I think there was plenty of untapped resources last year and that the team is in much better shape than some people tend to think.

I am looking forward to seeing how players like Kozek and Watkins play this year. With all of last year's depth, there were lots of players on 3rd or 4th lines that had alot of offensive potential. With the departures, we should see Kozek, Watkins, Martens, and Miller step up and fill more active roles. I think there was plenty of untapped resources last year and that the team is in much better shape than some people tend to think.

I'm not sure Martens will see time, but I could be wrong.

I don't see Martens getting ice time either.....Miller needed to get a lot stronger. We shall see if he is stronger on the puck this year.

If I'm not mistaken, Miller was injured for a bit last season. So hopefully a healthy Miller can produce on the 3rd/4th line if given the chance.

If I'm not mistaken, Miller was injured for a bit last season. So hopefully a healthy Miller can produce on the 3rd/4th line if given the chance.

You may be right but I don't recall if he was injured last year, but he was the latter part of his year in juniors, and that set back his ability to bulk up before the season last year. Hopefully he will have had the opportunity to get physically where he needs to be this season.